'Fancy Dan' footballers quote

Just now, Daizan10 said:

Nice bit of racial stereotyping... 

That's my point

People tended to lump all foreign players at the time into this mythical 'greedy, self serving, showboat' classification

At the time it was the norm

These days as we have learnt it's not just incorrect, but abhorrent

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

Di Canio not even that highly rated by Lazio supporters.  

PAOLO DI CANIO has responded to the Lazio supporters who would like to see him in a Biancoceleste shirt again.

The West Ham star is still waiting to see if his proposed move to Manchester United is sealed this month, and is honoured to hear of the calls for a sentimental return to Rome.

As previously reported on planetfootball.com, the Lazio tifosi displayed banners and chanted Di Canio's name during the Coppa Italia defeat to Milan on Wednesday evening.

"I am happy that the Lazio fans like my football," admitted the 33-year-old.

"I am proud that they have called for me.

"It is beautiful they have chosen just me, out of all the many who players who have loved Lazio."

Owlstalk Shop

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Nope

I never ever believe anything when a player kisses any badge or holds a shirt up in a photo to show they've signed etc

I loved Di Canio. He was worth the ticket price alone and could turn a result and win a match singlehandedly.

How many other players at our club could do that?

Waddle Warhurst Hirst all did it with more success. Di Canio never played once for Italy that should tell you much about his personality. I agree the talent was there but not the attitude. You didnt answer the moving on to a bigger club West Ham ?? Really? ? At that time. Some over your argument rings true but other parts are laughable.

Edited by ZicoSterland2

Just now, ZicoSterland2 said:

Di Canio never played once for Italy that should tell you much about his personality. 

I've read this statement over and over since you posted it

You're gonna have to explain to me how players personalities get them called up for their country..

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

He was sold mate 

After the club abandoned him during his time after the push

Dave Richards and others at the club totally abandoned him.

What loyalty could he have shown other than attending his own meeting (without any real representation from Wednesday), apologising, accepting his outcome was a fair one, and getting ready to crack on.

Dave Richards sold him to West Ham, at a massive loss, then quit the club soon after for a plush job at the F.A

Tell me what you would have preferred Di Canio to do during that time to demonstrate ‘loyalty’ to the club after being totally sold down the river by the man who cleared off to the FA to feather his own nest

What could Di Canio have done differently?

Not pushed a ref? 

:duntmatter:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I've read this statement over and over since you posted it

You're gonna have to explain to me how players personalities get them called up for their country..

Not a team player . Not part of his ego. Waddle always played for the team that was part of personality. Di Canio played for himself not really what is required at national level. What about West Ham and bettering himself ????

2 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

In all fairness I think Man Utd are going through something similar with Pogba presently. Can't get into their side because of his ego and Solskjaer prefers more ‘team’ players. We could have maybe carried one of Carbone or Di Canio in the team but often carrying both defensively couldn’t have been fun for the rest of the team.

1 hour ago, Swiss Toni said:

why do you think it is?

Possibly due to a serious ankle injury picked up last September, followed by another serious injury

to the same ankle on Boxing day for which he required surgery.:wacko:

Here's an example of Danny Wilson's man management at the time of Carbone etc..

DANNY WILSON promised to maintain his battle to lift Sheffield Wednesday from the foot of the Premiership table for as long as his board allows him. Coming up are what could be severe tests of his future, away at Newcastle and in the Worthington Cup against Stoke. But first he must win his war with Benito Carbone.

Wednesday slumped to their sixth defeat of this unhappy season, leaving Wilson betraying increasing signs of exasperation at the distraction that the Italian, given a distinctly mixed reception when he came on midway through the second half, is creating for him.

He admitted not having spoken to Carbone since he returned to the club after refusing to play as a substitute at Southampton two weeks ago.

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, oldtawnyowl said:

Possibly due to a serious ankle injury picked up last September, followed by another serious injury

Ruddy fancy dan footballers and their egos

If they had loyalty to their clubs they'd play through injury 

Owlstalk Shop

From the excellent When Saturday Comes website - another example of Danny Wilson and Dave Richards and how they handled our foreign players.

(note - this article below was written at the time, and before Carbone left)

Sheffield Wedneday have problems on and off the pitch. Graham Lightfoot finds out where it has gone wrong

In 1992 Sheffield Wednesday were the third best team in England. The following season they reached two cup finals. The years since those comparatively heady days have been hard to bear for Wednesdayites. The club’s board has been accused of investing in the stadium at the expense of the team since the Sixties, but lately there has been a steady haem­orrhaging of the club’s support. Wednesday have no money, little in the way of young players coming through and a playing staff who have yet to convince supp-orters that they care about playing in the blue and white.

Dave Richards, the current chairman of the Premier League, as well as Sheffield Wednesday, blames the club’s decline on Wednesday’s Italian imports. In a recent attack on them, after the 8-0 mauling at Newcastle, Richards said that the antics of Benito Carbone and Paolo di Canio were “killing us and killing the game”.

The fact that Di Canio, valued by Wednesday at £5 million, had to be sold for £1.7 million to rivals West Ham, coupled with the equally devastating likelihood that Carbone (also valued at £5 million) will walk away from the club at the end of the season on a Bosman free, means that Wednesday have effectively had to write off £8 million on two players – something they can ill afford to do.

For the fans, however, Carbone’s skills have illuminated a very dark period for the club. Like his compatriot Di Canio, Carbone has been idolised since arriving at Hillsborough. Accusations that he is a fly-by-night mercenary are ill judged, as Carbone has spent longer at Wednesday than at any other club in his career.

At the end of last season, Carbone indicated that he was happy to stay in Sheffield, if the club made him an offer he considered mat­ched his reputation. During the close season, Wednesday announced that the player had turned down a contract worth £29,000 a week. Supporters found the amount offered harder to believe than the fact that Carbone had rejected it. The Wednesday board decided that off-loading Carbone to the highest bidder in the last year of his contract was their only alternative. Danny Wilson in­dicated that Car­bone did not figure in his plans, which was seen merely as a move to provoke the Italian into leaving. Carbone stubbornly insisted he would see out his contract.

The final straw in the relationship between manager and player was the pre-match row at Southampton, when Carbone was named as a substitute for the game and duly flew home to Italy two hours before he should have done.

For many Wednesday fans, the thinking behind Wilson’s decision bordered on the sur­real. Two terrible home defeats prior to this game had made it plain that Wednesday’s best hope lay with Carbone. The Southampton in­cident seemed also to be the watershed in Car­bone’s relationship with the rest of the team, as players such as Petter Rudi and Kevin Pressman publicly condemned him for his actions.

The player’s agent apologised for his client and the club fined the player £32,000, two weeks’ wages, declaring that they saw this as an end to the matter. However, for Wilson this was clearly not the case. Expecting a personal apology, not only to himself but to the rest of the team, he banished Carbone to train with the reserves. With the two not on speaking terms prior to the game against Everton on September 11, Carbone received a mixed re­ception from supporters when he finally came off the bench.

As long as Wilson remains in charge – and, barring a financial miracle, he is likely to – Car­bone is set for a miserable last season at Hillsborough. Sadly, so too are the supporters of Shef­field Wednesday. 

From WSC 153 November 1999

Owlstalk Shop

12 minutes ago, oldtawnyowl said:

He was in and out last season too. It was all over the press of a fall out with Solskjaer.

Benito Carbone tried to walk off after an astonishing bust-up with his team-mates in this Hillsborough nightmare.

The little Italian had to be bundled back on to the pitch by assistant manager Peter Shreeves as Wednesday crashed to an embarrassing home defeat which piled on the agony for under-fire manager David Pleat.

The ugly, 85th-minute incident began when a frustrated Carbone waved his finger angrily at substitute Wayne Collins after a misunderstanding.

David Hirst stuck out his arm to stop Carbone and pushed him in the throat.

That was the final straw for pounds 3 million former Inter Milan striker who immediately signalled he was coming off.

But he was met on the touchline by Shreeves, who grappled with him before bundling him back on to the pitch.

It completed a night of total misery for the Owls, who also had Frenchman Patrick Blondeau sent off for a professional foul.

They were booed off for the second home match running by a disgruntled fans who were chanting "Pleat out, Pleat out", long before the whistle finally ended this massacre.

Wednesday, who stay second from bottom with only five points from their first eight matches, were a complete shambles and it is no exaggeration to state that Derby could have scored ten.

Yet the night had started so well for Wednesday, with Paulo Di Canio, beautifully set up by Carbone putting them in front after just four minutes.

Derby equalised through their own Italian striker Franceso Baiano three minutes later but a Carbone penalty after 12 minutes, after Di Canio had been tripped by Gary Rowett, put the Yorkshire club back in front.

Jim Smith's foreign legion however stormed back and led 3-2 at the break, thanks to an equaliser from Dane Jacob Laursen and a superb volley from Costa Rican Paulo Wanchope, who also had a header cleared off the line.

Pleat pulled off the ineffective Nigel Clough at half-time and sent on Hirst. But within a minute they fell even further behind when Baiano added his second with another crisp shot to finish off a flowing Derby move.

The last thing Wednesday needed was to go down to ten men after 68 minutes when Blondeau pulled down Deon Burton when he was clean through on goal.

Six minutes later Burton got his revenge tapping in Derby's fifth goal from a Wanchope pass with Wednesday's defence in complete disarray.

It was no wonder Carbone lost his rag. Wednesday made schoolboy errors and appeared to lack the appetite for a fight.

They had already suffered a 7-2 humiliation at Blackburn and Pleat knows there must be a dramatic improvement if he is to keep his job.

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 09.07.17.jpg

Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 09.08.16.jpg

This was always how I saw it as well. Wilson effectively had his hands tied because Richard's didn't want to jeopardise his position with the FA and his future role as Premier League chairman.

If he'd have done a Ferguson and supported Di Canio we'd be in a better place I absolutely believe that. From there it just all went downhill due to one mans greed

I loved Di Canio, amazing player and the fact that he was a nutter made him even better to watch. His histrionics when adjudged offside were often hilarious really.

I remember that Cambridge game though and he was awful, time and time again he had the opportunity to cross or pass, but kept trying to beat a player and got tackled.