'Fancy Dan' footballers quote

Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 08.50.56.jpg

One of the things that really irked me is that when Di Canio and Carbone were at our club there was a quote from Danny Wilson labelling them as 'fancy dan' footballers,

Wilson himself saying it didn't bother me. He was a manager out of his depth and struggling and the quote just seemed like a manager on the verge of quitting or being sacked after a poor run of results.

What really hurt was that I then heard our fans start to adopt the phrase and throwing it at Di Canio (one of the most magical, gifted, amazing players to have ever worn the shirt), and Carbone who was also fantastic on his day.

Once again some of our fans had heard something said by someone at the club and immediately adopted it as their approach too. 

No questioning of it at all. It was said by the club so it must also be the gospel truth

For years I've come across Wednesday fans who still label Di Canio and Carbone as fancy dan's and it really irks me. It makes me want to shake them, and show them videos of these players in action.

They weren't fancy dan footballers. Not in the slightest. They had craft and flair on the ball that our English players at the time could only wish they had. Their skills made them stand out against the rest. Their ability was second to none.

If you were one of those people who walked around tutting at the name Di Canio and Carbone and calling them fancy dan's then please realise it made you look stupid.

They were never fancy dan footballers - they were BRILLIANT and how I wish we could have them in our squad right now.

Owlstalk Shop

18 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Players pushing referees over and walking out on the club or hard working honest footballers that had actual success at the club like Danny Wilson?

J.R. Hartley would have been proud to have written that. 

33 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Players pushing referees over and walking out on the club or hard working honest footballers that had actual success at the club like Danny Wilson?

Controversial, but I have some sympathy with your take on this.  Never was a big fan of Di Canio, although no denying how skilful he was.  For me, he was the sort of player who should have been a squad player at a top team, to be used where something different was required to break down opposition.  Not the right player for Wednesday at that time, played too much for himself in my view, and only when he fancied it.  We’ve had plenty better - of the two I always preferred Carbone.

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Steve Down South said:

Controversial, but I have some sympathy with your take on this.  Never was a big fan of Di Canio, although no denying how skilful he was.  For me, he was the sort of player who should have been a squad player at a top team, to be used where something different was required to break down opposition.  Not the right player for Wednesday at that time, played too much for himself in my view, and only when he fancied it.  We’ve had plenty better - of the two I always preferred Carbone.

Name me plenty better than Di Canio - Waddle excluded

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Skillfull yes , talented yes , loyal to the club NO.

He was sold mate 

After the club abandoned him during his time after the push

Dave Richards and others at the club totally abandoned him.

What loyalty could he have shown other than attending his own meeting (without any real representation from Wednesday), apologising, accepting his outcome was a fair one, and getting ready to crack on.

Di Canio even had to pay for his own Lawyers to help represent him after the club abandoned him

Dave Richards sold him to West Ham, at a massive loss, then quit the club soon after for a plush job at the F.A

Tell me what you would have preferred Di Canio to do during that time to demonstrate ‘loyalty’ to the club after being totally sold down the river by the man who cleared off to the FA to feather his own nest

What could Di Canio have done differently?

Owlstalk Shop

Danny Wilson at that time was the wrong manager, the season before Dave Richards had got his own back on big Ron and sack him. That one decision is very much why we lost our place in the Premier League.

Had Big Ron stayed as manager the whole team respected him, he would have handled the Di Canio incident differently and probably instead of West Ham have Di Canio's best years we would have had instead. 

It is funny how you could change one thing and the whole history of our club could have been different, if we had not lost our place at the top table that season and maybe not for a few years, we could have stayed up or when we had come down we would have got the parachute payments to do straight back up.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

He was sold mate 

After the club abandoned him during his time after the push

Dave Richards and others at the club totally abandoned him.

What loyalty could he have shown other than attending his own meeting (without any real representation from Wednesday), apologising, accepting his outcome was a fair one, and getting ready to crack on.

Dave Richards sold him to West Ham, at a massive loss, then quit the club soon after for a plush job at the F.A

Tell me what you would have preferred Di Canio to do during that time to demonstrate ‘loyalty’ to the club after being totally sold down the river by the man who cleared off to the FA to feather his own nest

What could Di Canio have done differently?

100% this - sold down the river by the club so Richards could get his next gig. Look at what Cantona get from Man Utd for a much worse offence he got loyalty and love from his Manager

In all fairness I think Man Utd are going through something similar with Pogba presently. Can’t get in their side because of his ego now and Solskjaer prefers more ‘team’ players. We could have maybe carried one of Carbone or Di Canio in the team but often carrying both defensively couldn’t have been fun for the rest of the team.