Peter Beardsley

Guest Grandad

11 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

So we could and should have had Peter Beardsley. We had Jamie Vardy but let him go cause he was also considered too small. Should have signed Eric Cantona but we hadn't seen him play on grass so peed him off. 

I just wonder how many other world beaters weve let slip through our fingers over the years?

Sometimes we just feel jinxed.

The list is endless. We get a rich chairman who's rubbish. Hirsty potentially better than Shearer gets crocked. Brucie looks to be perfect ,then buggers off. Best left back in our history Foxy gets injured.

When will it end ?

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Grandad said:

Was chatting to Peter Eustace a couple of weeks ago - and it was nice for me that he remembered my Grandad... who worked on the Players Entrance. I showed him this pic I have of him - and I was amazed that he spotted Peter Beardsley... Ive had this pic for years and Id never once noticed him

Anyway - turns out that Big Jack tried to sell Beardsley to us when he was manager at Newcastle - and Eustace recommended him to Wilko. But Wilko didnt want him - said he was too small - and he went to Liverpool instead... 

Shame eh?

Charlton was only Newcastle manager in 1984-85. Beardsley scored 20 league goals in just 34 games in their 1983=84 promotion season, and then 17 league goals in 38 in the 84-85 season in the top flight.  So why would Charlton have "tried to sell him to us"? Forgive me if I disbelieve the word of a 75 year old who was the worst manager in SWFC history! I suspect there's some confusion and he's more likely recalling when we were linked with Beardsley when he was at Vancouver Whitecaps, iirc he played against us in a friendly in the early 80s.

Oh, and he didn't "go to Liverpool instead", he didn't move there until 1987.

9 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Charlton was only Newcastle manager in 1984-85. Beardsley scored 20 league goals in just 34 games in their 1983=84 promotion season, and then 17 league goals in 38 in the 84-85 season in the top flight.  So why would Charlton have "tried to sell him to us"? Forgive me if I disbelieve the word of a 75 year old who was the worst manager in SWFC history! I suspect there's some confusion and he's more likely recalling when we were linked with Beardsley when he was at Vancouver Whitecaps, iirc he played against us in a friendly in the early 80s.

You seem angry. Wrong side of the bed?

lol 

10 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Carlos was the worst.

3 minutes ago, Grandad said:

You seem angry. Wrong side of the bed?

lol 

Not really, but I tend to look into statements which seem illogical, which Charlton trying to offload Beardsley to us at that time certainly would have been! Even the word of someone who was around at the time remembering it 35 years later doesn't make it so -  for example Trevor Francis is adamant in his autobiography that Eric Cantona was only training here briefly as a favour and there was never any suggestion of us signing him - which directly contradicts his words at the time that we hoped to sign him permanently, including in his own matchday programme notes!

Oh, and I'm always grumpy this early in the morning lol

12 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Just thinking that. 

:ghoulguy:

I can't imagine still being so angry with Peter Eustace after his 2 wins in 18 games that I'd take to an internet forum some 32 years later and borderline accuse him of suffering from dementia cos hes 75 and his recollection might not be what it was

Gotta love Owlstalk lol 

10 hours ago, DB2002 said:

If I remember right, we were rumoured to be interested in Beardsley in the early 80's during the Big Jack era.

I think it was during his first spell with Vancouver White Caps (or maybe during his Old Trafford days)

Can anyone verify ?

I think this is where the story has got confused.

in jack Charltons one season at Newcastle Beardsley was one of top scorers in first division.

i can’t see why they would be trying to move him on or why we would have turned him down at that point.

12 hours ago, Grandad said:

Was chatting to Peter Eustace a couple of weeks ago - and it was nice for me that he remembered my Grandad... who worked on the Players Entrance. I showed him this pic I have of him - and I was amazed that he spotted Peter Beardsley... Ive had this pic for years and Id never once noticed him

Anyway - turns out that Big Jack tried to sell Beardsley to us when he was manager at Newcastle - and Eustace recommended him to Wilko. But Wilko didnt want him - said he was too small - and he went to Liverpool instead... 

Shame eh?

Image may contain: 4 people

If nothing else it shows that buying players isn't an exact science. Would he have had the career he did if we'd bought him?

3 minutes ago, Watto said:

Btw why would Beardsley be sitting next to our dugout , unless we were playing Newcastle? 

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark here, but we were probably playing Newcastle lol

Big Jack may have even been Newcastle manager and not ours in that photo.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Watto said:

Btw why would Beardsley be sitting next to our dugout , unless we were playing Newcastle? 

Given that guy in the red top is Arthur Cox (Im pretty sure) - I would say we probably were playing Newcastle

25 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Not really, but I tend to look into statements which seem illogical, which Charlton trying to offload Beardsley to us at that time certainly would have been! Even the word of someone who was around at the time remembering it 35 years later doesn't make it so -  for example Trevor Francis is adamant in his autobiography that Eric Cantona was only training here briefly as a favour and there was never any suggestion of us signing him - which directly contradicts his words at the time that we hoped to sign him permanently, including in his own matchday programme notes!

Oh, and I'm always grumpy this early in the morning lol

It's gone past 10, thats not early.

And it would have been later if I'd waited.

Just now, alanharper said:

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark here, but we were probably playing Newcastle lol

Big Jack may have even been Newcastle manager and not ours in that photo.

Big Jack was in the home dugout there

6 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Given that guy in the red top is Arthur Cox (Im pretty sure) - I would say we probably were playing Newcastle

Actually - that cant be right. Cos beardsley joined newcastle after charlton had left us. It might have been his Man Utd days (especially if he were sub)

Or even Carlisle??

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Big Jack was in the home dugout there

By the power of the internet, given that Beardsley didn't join Newcastle until September 1983 which was after Jack left Wednesday it's narrowed it down to Boxing Day 1983 when he returned to Hillsborough with Newcastle. Beardsley looks to have started that game though, maybe he was subbed? 

Or as a longshot it could have been the friendly against Vancouver Whitecaps although I'm sure that was a night match - the internet says 18/3/81 which was a Wednesday.

Right. Some frantic googling later.

Looks like it might have been taken in 1980 - May. Our promotion game

post-16389-0-94516300-1334940619.jpg

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Right. Some frantic googling later.

The guy in the red top in the away dugout looks like Bobby Moncur, Carlisle manager at the time. The game was 5th Nov 77 v Carlisle - we won 3-1. Big Jack had been with us a month.

Beardsley didn't join Carlisle until 78/79 though

I'll stand on the shoulders of giants and suggest it could have been maybe the 0-0 against Carlisle in May 1980 or the 0-0 against them in October 1978

CSI Owlstalk lol

Just now, alanharper said:

Beardsley didn't join Carlisle until 78/79 though

I'll stand on the shoulders of giants and suggest it could have been maybe the 0-0 against Carlisle in May 1980 or the 0-0 against them in October 1978

CSI Owlstalk lol

I agree with that...