Peter Beardsley

Guest Grandad

13 hours ago, Grandad said:

Was chatting to Peter Eustace a couple of weeks ago - and it was nice for me that he remembered my Grandad... who worked on the Players Entrance. I showed him this pic I have of him - and I was amazed that he spotted Peter Beardsley... Ive had this pic for years and Id never once noticed him

Anyway - turns out that Big Jack tried to sell Beardsley to us when he was manager at Newcastle - and Eustace recommended him to Wilko. But Wilko didnt want him - said he was too small - and he went to Liverpool instead... 

Shame eh?

Image may contain: 4 people

he'd have put his hands on a ref. and we'd have taken less than fourpence for him, we make a f***er of nearly everything, NEXT.

14 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

So we could and should have had Peter Beardsley. We had Jamie Vardy but let him go cause he was also considered too small. Should have signed Eric Cantona but we hadn't seen him play on grass so peed him off. 

I just wonder how many other world beaters weve let slip through our fingers over the years?

Joe Baker was one.

3 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Weren't we offered Marcelo Salas when he was really young? Sure i've heard that somewhere

Defo heard the Stam link, think he was 19 and we said he was unproven

BUT ... if we'd have had these players, or kept them .. you know full well they'd have flopped and left us for better pastures anyway!

Its the Wednesday way! lol

Pretty sure we had a mid-season friendly against Brondby just to look at their  keeper - Peter Schmeichel.  Needless to say we didn't bother with him...

3 hours ago, 1867_OWL said:

Can't believe you didn't spot Pat Butcher lol

I do remember when we used to sing "Id rather be Pat Butcher than a Blade"

I think it was that anyway

I was living in Vancouver when Beardsley was playing for the Whitecaps,he was great to watch.The team were a mix of aging stars like Terry Yorath, Trevor Whymark and Kevin Hector along with up and comers like Beardsley and Bruce Grobbelaar. As I recall Big Ron brought his WBA side out for a friendly, soon after he went to Man Utd and came back to sign Beardsley. 

9 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Weren't we offered Marcelo Salas when he was really young? Sure i've heard that somewhere

Defo heard the Stam link, think he was 19 and we said he was unproven

BUT ... if we'd have had these players, or kept them .. you know full well they'd have flopped and left us for better pastures anyway!

Its the Wednesday way! lol

Think that was Andriy Shevchenko, not Salas

Was it round the time we ended up signing Andy Booth instead?