What the f has happened?

1 hour ago, dorian gray said:

the top bit of your post I can agree with, but we're a mile off the last part.

I get that.

The hardest thing about writing that was part of me still thinks under 'the right manager' with the current squad of players we've got we could still sneak into the playoffs and get by on the magic of wembley...I mean we saw the instant impact Bruce had and for the first 10-15 games this season lets not forget we were 3rd and were the better team in almost every game we played...it's just since Christmas we've gone to pieces... i can't help but think how would we be doing if Bruce had stayed?
So many questions unanswered, we've not got a bad team, we have good players...it's just not working.

Similar to Jos though, there are managerial decisions that i think Monk has just gotten totally wrong so i'm not trying to defend him - I just think long term whoever is in charge is ultimately set up to fail.

41 minutes ago, Animis said:

I agree with a lot of this, but there's two issues:

Can we get enough points this season to insulate us from the risk of relegation?

Also, if we stay in the Championship, will we want Monk to do the Summer dealings and go into next season's campaign? 

I can't see us going down. Unless we were hit with a -12 or worse FFP points deduction, even then like i mentioned, we're not a bad team...we have talent in the squad and can get results we're just going through a bad run of form. Also, if our run of bad form does carry on and Monk gets the boot, I'm sure LB or whoever came in until the end of the season could galvanise use to remain in the division. 

That's the really difficult question, who do we trust to lead us into the storm post mass player departure. Financially i don't think we can afford to sack Monk early...I think currently the most likely outcome is we trudge on to finish somewhere below midtable and Monk gets the sack just before end of season. 

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

The loss of Fletcher has to be a major factor, but it just highlights the managers one dimensional,approach

Hadn't all the signings been made by the time Monk arrived at Hillsborough?  So he's had no option other than to play Fletcher upfront as the target man.  All the other strikers have been abject failure so it was clear as day that once Fletcher was injured that we would struggle.

You can make other arguments as to why Monk has not done better but using that one is in my view is pretty weak as all managers would have struggled with that conundrum.

4 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

Ever since that Stoke game imo but there was signs when we were hanging on for wins too ala Luton at home Stoke at home.

We are a sinking ship the main problem is DC inability to run a club, then its the players followed by a manager that has now lost its way ...if ever the phrase from top to bottom could be used its right now.

We as fans now need to be more vocal to express what we think during home games starting at home to Reading.

Conceding those 2 late goals at Stoke started a chain reaction of unfortunate events. 

My guess is that at some point since then, Hutch or another vocal player lost their rag and Monk tried to put them in their place. That kind of clash will have created factions and killed the team spirit. Now there is no fight in the team. Ironically we need a Sam on the pitch now more than ever, but if he has taken the manager on, it's right that he's not playing. Players should do their talking on the pitch.

12 minutes ago, WL_Owl_JC said:

Conceding those 2 late goals at Stoke started a chain reaction of unfortunate events. 

My guess is that at some point since then, Hutch or another vocal player lost their rag and Monk tried to put them in their place. That kind of clash will have created factions and killed the team spirit. Now there is no fight in the team. Ironically we need a Sam on the pitch now more than ever, but if he has taken the manager on, it's right that he's not playing. Players should do their talking on the pitch.

What's the point in guessing?  You could say anything you wish.  Stick to the facts then your argument will carry more weight 

27 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Hadn't all the signings been made by the time Monk arrived at Hillsborough?  So he's had no option other than to play Fletcher upfront as the target man.  All the other strikers have been abject failure so it was clear as day that once Fletcher was injured that we would struggle.

You can make other arguments as to why Monk has not done better but using that one is in my view is pretty weak as all managers would have struggled with that conundrum.

Sure, but you can have one up front, and explore different ways of attacking. We’ve become obsessed with the aerial route, no surprise really, after Monk’s exploits at Birmingham. The thing is, we aren’t particularly good at playing that way. 
Even last night, without Fletcher, we persisted in lofting the ball into the area, with only Forestieri looking to explore other avenues

Edited by gurujuan

18 minutes ago, WL_Owl_JC said:

Along with what Yorkowl put, I dont think this would be far wrong.

6 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

What's the point in guessing?  You could say anything you wish.  Stick to the facts then your argument will carry more weight 

Everyone is guessing in this thread though, why have a go at one poster ? 

No one knows fuckall its all gueswork.

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Sure, but you can have one up front, and explore different ways of attack. We’ve become obsessed with the aerial route, no surprise really, after Monk’s exploits at Birmingham. The thing is, we aren’t particularly good at playing that way. 
Even last night, without Fletcher, we persisted in lofting the ball into the area, with only Forestieri looking to explore other avenues

The trouble is is that Bruce he did not replace Joao or Hooper, and left us with low quality forwards and once injuries set in, it exposed our frailties upfront and Fletcher papered over the cracks.

I agree that we should be exploring different ways to attack and I hope that he persists with playing FF, Wickham and Cruz on Saturday but do away with hoof tactics as all our players are more than capable of playing football on the deck.

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

You sound like a born again Christian lol   but yeah you have a point.

Something has gone very badly wrong with our club, anybody with any real knowledge will be bound by a confidentiality clause in their contract, so in lieu of any real facts it's pretty natural for us to speculate.  We've been out-battled by very poor teams for the last few games.  It looks like the fight has gone from the players.  Do you have any facts or theories as to why?

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

The trouble is is that Bruce he did not replace Joao or Hooper, and left us with low quality forwards and once injuries set in, it exposed our frailties upfront and Fletcher papered over the cracks.

I agree that we should be exploring different ways to attack and I hope that he persists with playing FF, Wickham and Cruz on Saturday but do away with hoof tactics as all our players are more than capable of playing football on the deck.

Yes, if he’s still in charge, but maybe beef up the midfield Four strikers is overkill, especially if the midfield is overrun, resulting in balls being hoofed up to the front men

2 minutes ago, WL_Owl_JC said:

Something has gone very badly wrong with our club, anybody with any real knowledge will be bound by a confidentiality clause in their contract, so in lieu of any real facts it's pretty natural for us to speculate.  We've been out-battled by very poor teams for the last few games.  It looks like the fight has gone from the players.  Do you have any facts or theories as to why?

No im stumped apart from the fact that we have relied solely on one striker this season and now that he's injured we are suffering for it.

My beef with footballers is that if they don't put in 100% once they cross that white line whatever issues they have with the management should be set to one side.  Then they should be disciplined, how you do that is difficult as I suppose its very subjective.

There are always going to be clashes of personalities that happens in every workforce but footballers are very highly paid for what they do so they should set that aside and be professional when out on the pitch, they also have a duty to the fans.

Moral is low and we need to win that all important game and get back to not losing. 

We need to forget the long ball tactic and get back to passing the ball. We need Hutchinson back as you say we have no fight and that is so apparent in midfield.

There is little cohesion in the play and bringing back Hutchinson would go someway to resolving that.

Then if the rumours are true then they can kick the poo out of each other off the pitch.

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, if he’s still in charge, but maybe beef up the midfield Four strikers is overkill, especially if the midfield is overrun, resulting in balls being hoofed up to the front men

He will be here till the end of the season  see his contract out at least.  You have a valid point about having four strikers need Hutch back  for me.

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

BANG ON 100%