What the f has happened?

7 hours ago, Beholder said:

It's like a bomb went off mid season and we have gone from 3rd in the table to relegation fodder in the space of weeks.

Even as a Wednesday fan used to misery upon misery, this seems out of the ordinary.

Wtf happened ? 

Started with Fletcher getting injured, no leader after that and monk just ain't coming up with the goods even with some dam good players at his disposal. 

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

What's the point in guessing?  You could say anything you wish.  Stick to the facts then your argument will carry more weight 

my guess is we'll win every point from now till the end of the season, scoring 5 a game and not conceding, refuse automatic so we can smash the opposition in all the play off games, or perhaps I guessed wrongly. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, WL_Owl_JC said:

Something has gone very badly wrong with our club, anybody with any real knowledge will be bound by a confidentiality clause in their contract, so in lieu of any real facts it's pretty natural for us to speculate.  We've been out-battled by very poor teams for the last few games.  It looks like the fight has gone from the players.  Do you have any facts or theories as to why?

since dc took over when has our side excelled when playing poor sides who roll their sleeves up and battle? 

other than at the lane under jos, and perhaps bruce at times, we've a squad built of glass.

50 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

since dc took over when has our side excelled when playing poor sides who roll their sleeves up and battle? 

other than at the lane under jos, and perhaps bruce at times, we've a squad built of glass.

Yeah but wait until Reach is back! lol

• Thanks 1

One thing that hasn't been mentioned much is that 6 of our last 8 games, including the cup, have been away, and in one of the home games we had a man sent off after 20 minutes. Now sure, our home form hasn't been great, and we did lose both home games prior to that, but that's not really the kind of fixture run you want to get back into form. Another thing is our cup run. I'm not saying it's affecting the team, but if you take the view that we're a fairly average championship side capable of decent performances some weeks but not every week, when those good performances happen is obviously going to be important. And if you believe we need a bit of luck to reach the playoffs, the same applies there too.

12 hours ago, Sova said:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned much is that 6 of our last 8 games, including the cup, have been away, and in one of the home games we had a man sent off after 20 minutes. Now sure, our home form hasn't been great, and we did lose both home games prior to that, but that's not really the kind of fixture run you want to get back into form. Another thing is our cup run. I'm not saying it's affecting the team, but if you take the view that we're a fairly average championship side capable of decent performances some weeks but not every week, when those good performances happen is obviously going to be important. And if you believe we need a bit of luck to reach the playoffs, the same applies there too.

three things (for me) need to be taken into account, how much past it our squad is, how many players we have that are not effective at championship level for us, and our squad is fragile.

Simply a succession of poor managers bar The 6 months we had Bruce.

One season with Carlos after the euphoria of a new chairman willing to spend money.

Then 18 months of Carlos squandering money on players we didn't need whilst neglecting areas that needed strengthening. 

Followed by the nightmare that was Jos that put us further back.

A short bright period, where DC got us a proper manager only to be stabbed in the back when he left us.

Now Monk. Not many peoples favourite, but only Houghton united the fan base as a good choice of what was out there, but he wasn't interested.

So here we are with a disinterested aging squad, half of whom are out of contract at the end of the season. 

And no money that we can spend to change it.

Edited by lanzaroteowl

On 14/02/2020 at 10:01, lanzaroteowl said:

Simply a succession of poor managers bar The 6 months we had Bruce.

One season with Carlos after the euphoria of a new chairman willing to spend money.

Then 18 months of Carlos squandering money on players we didn't need whilst neglecting areas that needed strengthening. 

Followed by the nightmare that was Jos that put us further back.

A short bright period, where DC got us a proper manager only to be stabbed in the back when he left us.

Now Monk. Not many peoples favourite, but only Houghton united the fan base as a good choice of what was out there, but he wasn't interested.

So here we are with a disinterested aging squad, half of whom are out of contract at the end of the season. 

And no money that we can spend to change it.

I agree with all of that. Which makes me wonder why Monk didn't offload a load of the higher earners in January? He has some players that he's clearly not going to pick that would all fetch something on the transfer market and free up a good chunk of the wage bill. Was he blocked from doing that based on outdated valuations? Rhodes, Winnall, Hutch, Westwood - why weren't they transfer listed?

2 minutes ago, WL_Owl_JC said:

I agree with all of that. Which makes me wonder why Monk didn't offload a load of the higher earners in January? He has some players that he's clearly not going to pick that would all fetch something on the transfer market and free up a good chunk of the wage bill. Was he blocked from doing that based on outdated valuations? Rhodes, Winnall, Hutch, Westwood - why weren't they transfer listed?

Just maybe no one wants them - can’t imagine why!