DiCanio shove - on this day in 1998

16 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Don't recall him walking out on Celtic to join us. I do remember us paying a record £4.5 Million for him.

He didn't walk out on us either he was sent to Italy to get him out of the way. Then got rid of for a scandalous  £1.5 Million to West Ham. Shoddy.

He engineered his own move ,this episode has been re written over time to shift the blame for pushing over a ref for no real reason and then going on walkabout in italy 

The bloke is a full weight self centred bell , as showed when he picked up the ball playing for West Ham ( look at me arnt I a sport) and his body language towards lesser team mates on the pitch 

But that nasty Mr Richard's didnt come out to see me in italy  sulk sulk 

I wanted to be treated like Eric was ..sob

1 hour ago, the monk said:

He engineered his own move ,this episode has been re written over time to shift the blame for pushing over a ref for no real reason and then going on walkabout in italy 

The bloke is a full weight self centred bell , as showed when he picked up the ball playing for West Ham ( look at me arnt I a sport) and his body language towards lesser team mates on the pitch 

But that nasty Mr Richard's didnt come out to see me in italy  sulk sulk 

I wanted to be treated like Eric was ..sob

I don't think Di Canio pushed ref over to try and get a move, was just a spur of the moment incident but think he did see it as an opportunity to leave.
Think he only saw Wednesday as a bit of a stop off and wanted to play for a London club ideally.
I am not Dave Richards biggest fan but dont think they was anything he realistically could have done that would have made him play for Wednesday again.
Think he could have got a bit more money from West Ham though.
When you have walked out / had bust ups with European giants like Milan, Juventus and Celtic previously why do people think he would never do same to Wednesday?

14 hours ago, OwlOnWheels said:

I remember I was on a school trip to France at the time, so heard about it when I phoned home.  The internet being new then, there was no way to see the incident until I returned home and saw Match of the Day which my parents record on video for me.

Betamax or VHS..

:tango:

5 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I don't think Di Canio pushed ref over to try and get a move, was just a spur of the moment incident but think he did see it as an opportunity to leave.
Think he only saw Wednesday as a bit of a stop off and wanted to play for a London club ideally.
I am not Dave Richards biggest fan but dont think they was anything he realistically could have done that would have made him play for Wednesday again.
Think he could have got a bit more money from West Ham though.
When you have walked out / had bust ups with European giants like Milan, Juventus and Celtic previously why do people think he would never do same to Wednesday?

He did.  A few weeks previously he disrespected his team mates in an  interview with MOTD.  He was asking his agent to get him out from virtually the day he signed.