• Rhodes
    • Pelupessy
    • Winnall
    • Forestieri
    • Iorfa
    • Fox
    • Van Aken

13 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

The problem with Joao wide is that he ain’t going to be effective playing like a winger so needs to be making runs into the box, arriving at the right time.

However that is not his game. He doesn’t move off the ball , only when he has it. 

I think that is the underpinning issue.

I've heard people refer to him as lazy a lot. I've never been convinced by that. More that he doesn't think to much about what he's doing when not directly involved.

13 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Presumably the two half time changes are the positions more up for grabs next week. Thought Iorfa did ok at centre half 

Agree.

And I think Harris must have surely played himself into one of the wide births

3 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Image result for sheffield wednesday

Westwood

Odubajo     Lees(c)      Borner  Palmer

Hutchinson

Lee                 Bannan

Reach               Fletcher            Harris

This'd be my side for Reading. First time I've seen that Borner and I quite liked the look of him. Steady player and even though he int ace on the ball his got a bit of a stereotypical German coolness about him!

I liked Harris an all. He's got to start the next game for me. Can't remember when we last actually had a played who could skin a full back and bang a decent cross into the box. 

We've been crying out for somebody like him for years. He can be a real weapon for us I reckon. 

Great to see Lee back. Bombing on and supporting Fletcher. Reckon he'd have had a double on another day. 

Reach was quiet , though should have had a goal. 

Liked the way we set up but I just worry we ant got the midfield numbers if Hutch or Lee get injured. Which you worry might happen at some stage. 

Unless there's one of the kids coming through that might be worth a spot in the first team squad as cover? 

Anyroad. Lee was my man of the match. 

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

Thought Fernando was quite lively.

He in my opinion is a better option then Joao. But I dont like a team consisting of a deep lying Bannan, a deep lying Hutch and a I want to go back to the half way line all the time to get the ball Forestieri. To many cooks.

And to make matters worse some would add Mr dwell on the ball Joao to the mix aswell. 

It just doesn't work we are to pedestrian.

It's why all morning I been banging on about a front three of Harris, Reach and Fletcher. They will work better for the team and we will benefit more from there unselfishness. Joao and Forestieri just want to take people on on the half way line all the time and shoot at any opportunity. (me,me,me)

We need a pragmatic line up to get us to the Premier League not one full of players thinking that they are Premier League.

10 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

He in my opinion is a better option then Joao. But I dont like a team consisting of a deep lying Bannan, a deep lying Hutch and a I want to go back to the half way line all the time to get the ball Forestieri. To many cooks.

And to make matters worse some would add Mr dwell on the ball Joao to the mix aswell. 

It's why all morning I been banging on about a front three of Harris, Reach and Fletcher. They will work better for the team and we will benefit more from there unselfishness. Joao and Forestieri just want to take people on on the half way line all the time and shoot at any opportunity. (me,me,me)

We need a pragmatic line up to get us to the Premier League not one full of players thinking that they are Premier League.

I think one of the strikers will be off as soon as we get a decent offer.

My money is on Winnall.

But...I do think Joao is getting to the stage where he's going to have to kick on. He's what, 25 now?  

13 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I don’t believe a pragmatic team can get us to the Premier League, especially that one They won’t score enough goals

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I think one of the strikers will be off as soon as we get a decent offer.

My money is on Winnall.

But...I do think Joao is getting to the stage where he's going to have to kick on. He's what, 25 now?  

That's just it though how do you get the best out of Joao its definitely either or with Foresteri cant start them both. 

I would only play him in a 4-4-2 next to Fletcher with two workmen like wingers. Let his drift across the line a bit to pick up the ball and do his thing. but tell him if he ever has more than 4 touches of the ball he is fined a weeks wages.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t believe a pragmatic team can get us to the Premier League, especially that one They won’t score enough goals

There's been quite a few pragmatic teams promoted in recent seasons.

I think there's goals in this team if we go for it.

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Yet Huddersfield got promoted with a minus goal difference.

Yes, they were pretty pragmatic, though they also had a lot of players who were comfortable on the ball, particularly Mooy

• Like 1

Just now, gurujuan said:

Yes, they were pretty pragmatic, though they also had a lot of players who were comfortable on the ball, particularly Mooy

He was class. but so is Bannan. 

Seriously though what would your front three be (if that's the formation you would go with) and why.

9 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

He was class. but so is Bannan. 

Seriously though what would your front three be (if that's the formation you would go with) and why.

I said all along, we were solid enough last season, we were just too ordinary up front. I’m rather hoping the improvements in that particular area, will arrive this week, probably on loan. 

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I said all along, we were solid enough last season, we were just too ordinary up front. I’m rather hoping the improvements in that particular area, will arrive this week, probably on loan. 

Possibly another winger/forward maybe.

Wouldn't hold your breath on Fletcher's replacement mind.

lol

Edited by pazowl55

4 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

See In thought we were good first half.

I thought we controlled the game. 

I agree about Harris though.  

I'd go with the team that started but with Harris in for Joao. 

It was more open at the end. Though I don't think we had the control we had previously and that Winnall looked slightly lost. 

I accept the point about contolling the game, but we created more chances when the game opened up at the end, Kadeem has to start in front of Joao. Once again Joao doesn't look interested.

8 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

I accept the point about contolling the game, but we created more chances when the game opened up at the end, Kadeem has to start in front of Joao. Once again Joao doesn't look interested.

I think games tend to open a bit anyway in the latter stages. Especially when teams have made a raft of changes.

I definitely agree about Harris. I think he's done enough to take the "number 11" shirt for the reading game. Quick, direct and perhaps most pleasing someone who mixed and varied his crossing. I think he would be equally able to do that in the starting 4-3-3 system. Infact if anything I think it might even give him a bit more licence to attack.

Though I must say that I thought Fox put two or three excellent crosses in on the overlap too.  I prefer Palmer as a player, but I do think it showed the value of of having a left footed left back. 

14 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

An honest mistake Guv! :ph34r:

To be honest I wasn't going to put the lads who only had a couple of minutes in the list. Not enough time to impress.

But .....

....I see that Van Aken and Winnall have got votes, so I have clearly misjudged it!!

bit of a Freudian slip there...

me thinks all is NOT what it seems at the 'manor house'.

Westwood 8 - sat to the side of him close to the pitch. The bloke never shuts up. And gave a few rollockings too. Organised the defence superbly. What a pro.

Odubajo 6 - couple of mistakes including the one which gave them the equaliser. But looked quick and decent going forward. With games think he’ll improve.

Lees 7- Solid again, good long ball across to Bannan for our opener.

Borner 7- Impressed, did the easy stuff and looked composed on the ball. Nothing flash but looks a decent acquisition.

Palmer 7 - Played well in an unnatural position. He’s come on a lot since he’s had a run in the team. Would still prefer to see a new left back come in though, not a fan of right footers playing left back.

Bannan 9 - Superb, at the heart of everything. Never stops running and his range of passing is unbelievable.

Hutch 7 - Played well, pressed well, kept his discipline and was always an option to pass to. If he can stay fit, we don’t really need another ball winning midfielder, but that is a big if.

Lee 9 - Reminded you of what we’ve missed in him. One step ahead of everyone on the pitch. A joy to watch. Please please stay injury free this season.

Reach 6 - Thought he was fairly anonymous throughout to be honest.

Fletcher 8 - Great goal and leads the line superbly. Looks very fit too.

Joao 6 - Wide left isn’t his position. Some nice touches, but I think he’s wasted out there all though he did provide a bit of a presence with his height.