1935 Benefit Match vs. Grimsby Town

7917F5A5-C051-4612-9ADD-205C21B0E20C.thumb.jpeg.69a3e1b646f91283161b1b21b51bcea8.jpeg

Anyone know anything of this? According to the seller: 

“This trophy was won by Grimsby Town FC for beating Sheffield in a Benefit match. 

Played at the end of the 1934/5 season to raise money for the Fisherman’s trust in Grimsby .

Wednesday had won the FA Cup the previous week.”

Came across it whilst flicking through eBay and I can’t say I’ve ever heard anything about it. Was it a yearly thing, or a one-off? 

AE86BF88-7EFA-4AB5-B16B-92AA0334BEB3.jpeg

A1FBAFA2-2CF3-4185-A990-5F0DE81E1B08.jpeg

1EA03E4A-FDEE-4041-9D6F-75A1F08DA70B.jpeg

Edited by PolarNigel

11 minutes ago, owls-swfc said:

It looks like a cup that we didn't win.....

having already won another cup the previous week .. 

Cheers Issac! WTF:

11 minutes ago, GY-owl.4 said:

Will go for quite a bit of money I wud have thought. Someone needs to forward it to DC as I bet he would wanna buy  that. 

I'd obviously love to buy it. 

Bit of history innit I suppose, might look oreyt in our trophy cabinet, it’s gotten a bit dusty recently :duntmatter:

Might be worth keeping for 16 years then making a profit wen it's 100 yr old? 

Ive got an ashes magazine from 52 or 53. It's tied in with the celebration of the new queen and brags how it has 'colour pictures' 

The only thing coloured is the green grass behind the black and white player. 

I've given it to my lad an told him to wait till its 100.

I've got a press cutting somewhere - it was as it says a benefit match for Grimsny fishermen.  Think it was a week after 35 Cup Final - The Club took the FA Cup along to the match and charged folk a shilling to touch it (the FA Cup)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, dunsbyowl said:

I've got a press cutting somewhere - it was as it says a benefit match for Grimsny fishermen.  Think it was a week after 35 Cup Final - The Club took the FA Cup along to the match and charged folk a shilling to touch it (the FA Cup)

Haha, that’s brilliant. Reyt idea charging to touch the cup, might need to bring that back with FFP :biggrin: 

Cheers for the info! 

Grimsby first played at blundell park the same day we played our first at S6 

Back in 1899 and while the pigs had now been renting the lane for only 10 years both Gy and Wednesday were on their 3rd ground I think. 

Loads of Wednesday fans in Grimsby. 

Edited by GY-owl.4
  • Like 1

On 16/05/2019 at 23:14, GY-owl.4 said:

Loads of Wednesday fans in Grimsby. 

I'm a Wednesday fan from Grimsby no longer in Grimsby, although I was there for 24 hours last week as I flew back to drop my Mum off from a visit and then flew out Saturday back to Spain, managed to squeeze in my first proper Fish and Chips in easily 5-6 years, so, so, so good!

• Like 1

I believe it was a fishing match....

Owlsman won it for Wednesday with a last minute stickleback dragged from the Don...Which was flowing bright yellow under The South Stand.

The first leg had been played at Grimsby, where the home side chose to go "Sea fishing"..

The Owlsman,I have heard only had "small tackle"..But he rose to the occasion and got an away Halibut on a quiver tip..

The return leg was a very boring affair as no fish had been seen in the slowly flowing yellow river Don since 1918...

As the tie was drawing towards a cast off.....

(Both players are given a lead bomb and whoever casts the furthest wins...)

Owlsman netted a dying Stickleback, that had struggled its way down from Rivelin....and held it aloft...

Edited by asteener1867