Are we as a club on a whole, just too nice!!

20 hours ago, SiJ said:

Yes.

Generally speaking, we are a soft touch.

Even when we are decent (2015 - 2017), I'd suggest we are quite flaky and prone to getting bullied.

How often have we gone away from home and really put a team to the sword? Bullied them, outplayed them, over powered them?

Hate to say it, but for whatever reason, United when they're half decent (now, under Colin), always have that edge to them. 

bang on, we are a soft touch, gentleman's club, must play it the correct way old chap.

i've written it before on here, but i'll state it again, i think it was the 97/98 season drawing into the final couple of months, and we were just above the edge of the danger zone. a manure fan said to me 'you lot need some points NOW, or you'll be going down, as your lot are not battlers'.

19 hours ago, mkowl said:

Don't have to be nasty but watching Derby tonight it is about denying space, getting at the opposition and then using that pace and energy to go forward. Daft thing is the first season under Carlos we adopted the high press approach. To my utmost confusion we stopped doing that

you DO NEED to be nasty.

playing nice is for children.

19 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Exactly my point, even those first 2 seasons under Carlos when we played some great football, we'd go beat Newcastle, Derby or a villa, then proceed to drop points at a Barnsley, Bolton, Millwall or Burton becouse they'd get in our faces and bully us off our game. 

BANG ON 100%

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, doubleo said:

You don't have to be nasty to prevent the other team space or pass the ball 20 yards. Lets face it when Hutch plays, we all know it's a red card waiting to happen, or giving free kicks away in dangerous positions.

childish.

if you're gonna run 5-15 yards to get a tackle in, you might as well leave something on him IF he's their big threat.

i recall hughie down (straight from the kick off) sailing straight through robin friday, one of their fans said to my mate 'kin ell you lot don't take prisoners do you?'

17 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Megson is the only manager we had who made us hard as nails and tough to beat. We had an identity and we bullied teams.

The likes of Bannan, Winnall, Pudil, Westwood and Hutch are fiery characters. Forestieri is a poopydoo to opposition teams too. Don't think we are overly nice but I don't think we have had that edge about us since Megson left. 

Really need a horrible fool in midfield. We have done for ages. Hutch is the closest we've had to it. Someone who knows how to foul, get in the opponents face and can bully people. Have someone like that alongside Bannan. 

a fool isn't needed, you want a calculating bas**rd, a werewolf, or two, to share limps out amongst their ball players.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Exactly my point, even those first 2 seasons under Carlos when we played some great football, we'd go beat Newcastle, Derby or a villa, then proceed to drop points at a Barnsley, Bolton, Millwall or Burton becouse they'd get in our faces and bully us off our game. 

Ah CC's mythical first 2 seasons! We weren't that good and it proved to be the case in the end. It just seemed good at the time because it was better than stuff we were served up with for years before. A new chairman, a new manager, a buzz around the place, it all helped carry us on. The pigs are going through the same sort of thing at the moment and time is running out for them too ... how sad  :stuwinky:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, torres said:

Agree

”too nice” is in the same bracket as “team spirit” - buzz words that actually mean nothing of any real note 

We just are not good enough at what we do or try to do to be a consistent team. 

Don’t remember Wolves having many nutters in their team last year. 

we're actually not talking 'nutters' we're talking about not yielding to physical teams, more than holding your own in a physical game.

wolves spent more than the U.S. defence budget, they ought to have a decent side.

'team spirit' isn't a buzzword, it's what a number of sides bring to hillsborough, as well as 'grit' and 'determination'.

i would have thought wednesday fans would know full well what it looks like, we've seen many sides bring it with them.

We need some leaders, some cunning, some cynicism, some wind up merchants, masters of the dark arts.  We need to impose our will, take some control over situations, manipulate the officials, p1ss off the other lot's fans.  A bit of cockiness and swagger and a dusting of bring it on then you set of uglybastards!

FF has some of it but it stands out a bit too much, his reputation proceeds him and it relies solely on protection from the ref as do many others and you have to be an ex Premier team to get that in the Championship or be Leeds or have Lampard or similar as boss.

We could have it all with one clever signing who knows what he's doing, maybe who has the name to get away with it and who will bring others along in doing it with him.

I can't help but think that Venancio would have made a huge difference and that Jos may have also signed some big, horrible Germanbastard had he had the freedom and funds to do so.  

It's probably why my willy twitched when Cahill got mentioned a bit back but we can but dream but it is our missing link.

PS Before anyone mentions Hutch, I'm afraid to say he isn't the man and not just down to his fitness.

Huth was touting himself to Leeds and Villa very recently, not sure re. his fitness but he's the type that we want and really need.

9 minutes ago, dnhc said:

we're actually not talking 'nutters' we're talking about not yielding to physical teams, more than holding your own in a physical game.

wolves spent more than the U.S. defence budget, they ought to have a decent side.

'team spirit' isn't a buzzword, it's what a number of sides bring to hillsborough, as well as 'grit' and 'determination'.

i would have thought wednesday fans would know full well what it looks like, we've seen many sides bring it with them.

So when we lose it’s because the other team has got better spirit 

I doubt that has been the case ever. 

You play to your strengths and we are not good enough at any aspect of the game at the minute. 

We could have more spirit than Gazza’s drinks cabinet in the squad right now it wouldn’t make Lees able to pass it, it wouldn’t make Nuhiu fast, it wouldn’t make Jos pick a normal team and system etc etc 

I fully understand what you’re saying but I would expect the team get on as well as any other team, they will get on better when we win and fall out when we lose. 

Yes we need a few leaders but it’s more to do with footballing brains than any real brute strength in my opinion 

7 minutes ago, torres said:

So when we lose it’s because the other team has got better spirit 

I doubt that has been the case ever. 

You play to your strengths and we are not good enough at any aspect of the game at the minute. 

We could have more spirit than Gazza’s drinks cabinet in the squad right now it wouldn’t make Lees able to pass it, it wouldn’t make Nuhiu fast, it wouldn’t make Jos pick a normal team and system etc etc 

I fully understand what you’re saying but I would expect the team get on as well as any other team, they will get on better when we win and fall out when we lose. 

Yes we need a few leaders but it’s more to do with footballing brains than any real brute strength in my opinion 

yes sheffield wednesday have the 'ability' to lose to sides that show more balls than we do, it's been a fact for a while.

but if ability counts for more than battle, or bottle how come so many lower table sides have done us over the last few years despite us having the 'more talented' team?

Edited by dnhc
cc

36 minutes ago, dnhc said:

yes sheffield wednesday have the 'ability' to lose to sides that show more balls than we do, it's been a fact for a while.

but if ability counts for more than battle, or bottle how come so many lower table sides have done us over the last few years despite us having the 'more talented' team?

By the same logic we have beaten Arsenal, Newcastle away, Villa, etc so we must only have team spirit against the better teams 

1 hour ago, pgmetcalf said:

Ah CC's mythical first 2 seasons! We weren't that good and it proved to be the case in the end. It just seemed good at the time because it was better than stuff we were served up with for years before. A new chairman, a new manager, a buzz around the place, it all helped carry us on. The pigs are going through the same sort of thing at the moment and time is running out for them too ... how sad  :stuwinky:

Hopefully bud and they'll drop like a lead balloon back whence the came from lol

3 minutes ago, torres said:

By the same logic we have beaten Arsenal, Newcastle away, Villa, etc so we must only have team spirit against the better teams 

arsenal fetched a side with a number of second choice players in it, newcastle are not known for being 'up for it' virtually at any time much to the frustration of their fans no doubt, and villa were doing badly and low on confidence under bruce who was on his way out, so none of those sides are known as, or expected to be 'battlers'

2 hours ago, dnhc said:

you DO NEED to be nasty.

playing nice is for children.

Nasty implies employing dirty tricks though, don't think you need to resort to that level

1 minute ago, mkowl said:

Nasty implies employing dirty tricks though, don't think you need to resort to that level

time wasting? feigning injury? diving. encouraging opposition to not enter challenges 100%, having their centre backs not concentrating on the ball 100% when a cross comes in, accidently standing on opposition keepers foot at corners, shirt pulling, professional fouls, and so on, are these ok or not?

1 hour ago, dnhc said:

time wasting? feigning injury? diving. encouraging opposition to not enter challenges 100%, having their centre backs not concentrating on the ball 100% when a cross comes in, accidently standing on opposition keepers foot at corners, shirt pulling, professional fouls, and so on, are these ok or not?

I hate teams that employ those tactics. Beat em playing football