Kop & South Stand Early 1960s

7 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Was it more to stand on the terrace than the Kop or Lepp ?

Got a feeling it was but I’m probably wrong 

I always thought so but my Dad told me when he was a lad - 1950s you could swap ends at half time if you wished ?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Yes. If you went on the Terrace, or as it was known 'South Stand Terrace, it was more expensive than Kop or Lepp, which were both the same and you could enter at ether end, and simply walk round the back of the then Old Standat ANY TIME BEFORE OR DURING THE GAME.   If you wanted to go into the Old Stand, which was prior to building of the Cantilever, you then transfered into this at a small extra charge. Here you could stand or sit.

Edited by Buxtongent
addition
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dunsbyowl said:

I always thought so but my Dad told me when he was a lad - 1950s you could swap ends at half time if you wished ?

My memory is that prior to the cantilever being built you could walk round from Lepp to Kop at half time.

is that right Buxton ??

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Yes it was, a whole shilling more, early 1960’s. That’s 5 pence in today’s money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blatter said:

Yes it was, a whole shilling more, early 1960’s. That’s 5 pence in today’s money.

I think it was 3/- for adults on Lepp or Kop. So 4/- to stand on the terrace was outrageous :laugh:

• Like 1

Yes, Ibbo, prior to the construction of the Cant you entered by either the Kop or the Lepp. If yo went through  the Kop,Entrance you went to your right hand side and simply went on either. if you went behind where the back of the Cant is now, between thee and the back gardens of Vere Road (that of the Chinese chippy) was a triangular playing area, practice I think. You walked along the rear of the Old Stand, and through the gap where now is between the Cant and the NE corner. Along the back of this old stand were turnstiles tonallow you to go into the then Old Stand where you cold sit at the back or stand immediately behind the extra scoreboard thatvran alongside the terrace, opposite the South Stand. It was common for many to go into the Lepp for the First half (if we were kicking that way) then walk round onto Kop for second half.

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Yes, Ibbo, prior to the construction of the Cant you entered by either the Kop or the Lepp. If yo went through  the Kop,Entrance you went to your right hand side and simply went on either. if you went behind where the back of the Cant is now, between thee and the back gardens of Vere Road (that of the Chinese chippy) was a triangular playing area, practice I think. You walked along the rear of the Old Stand, and through the gap where now is between the Cant and the NE corner. Along the back of this old stand were turnstiles tonallow you to go into the then Old Stand where you cold sit at the back or stand immediately behind the extra scoreboard thatvran alongside the terrace, opposite the South Stand. It was common for many to go into the Lepp for the First half (if we were kicking that way) then walk round onto Kop for second half.

This is exactly as I remember it too. 

Only problem was that when we lost the throw and had to kick the ‘wrong way’ quite a few would rush around the back to change ends. 

Just imagine what the safety wallah’s would make of that today.

Edited by Blatter
Predictive thingy keeps changing it

2 minutes ago, Blatter said:

This is exactly as I remember it too. 

Only problem was that when we lost the throw and had to kick the ‘wrong way’ quite a few would rush around the back to change ends. 

Just imagine what the safety wallah’s would make of that today.

Happy days! I remember it too.

59 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Here's the Training area behind the old North/Vere Road

Trainng.jpg.966f447df6808c92585459299737167b.jpg

• Like 2

Guest Kameron
56 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

Those shorts would come in useful on the kop these days:tongue: 

Ask Nuhiu if you can have his.

4 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Yes. If you went on the Terrace, or as it was known 'South Stand Terrace, it was more expensive than Kop or Lepp, which were both the same and you could enter at ether end, and simply walk round the back of the then Old Standat ANY TIME BEFORE OR DURING THE GAME.   If you wanted to go into the Old Stand, which was prior to building of the Cantilever, you then transfered into this at a small extra charge. Here you could stand or sit.

I started going in the late 60's so any idea when the seats were first used on the terracing in the south stand?  I can't recall the south stand without them... Cheers.

44 minutes ago, Watson said:

I started going in the late 60's so any idea when the seats were first used on the terracing in the south stand?  I can't recall the south stand without them... Cheers.

Preparation for World Cup a year or two before 66. 

My Dad’s spot was by the tunnel on the south stand terrace. Stood there for decades and didn’t take kindly to seats.

He didn’t like the Kop and settled for Leppings Lane standing in the end cos he always parked in Rockley Road.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Watson said:

Here are they going in just as the West Stand is being constructed 1965-66

s28976_zps29b75cff.jpg.f1132340adae374b27c0b44f3833e4c1.jpg

westa_zps9a834d85.jpg.6c4b64b5b69f67992fb7dca3b5621a27.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blatter said:

Preparation for World Cup a year or two before 66. 

My Dad’s spot was by the tunnel on the south stand terrace. Stood there for decades and didn’t take kindly to seats.

He didn’t like the Kop and settled for Leppings Lane standing in the end cos he always parked in Rockley Road.

Just about here?1952tunnel_zpsixnld2fc.thumb.jpg.856978b1d3058bfffbb3e7c0711b6675.jpg