Kop & South Stand Early 1960s

On 03/10/2018 at 09:30, sw1867 said:

This is well before my time but would love to have been on that Kop in a packed crowd.

Proper football ground with a proper atmosphere.

Love these photos Dunsby, keep em coming.

Yep fantastic atmosphere, as the wind and rain blew in your face and took it straight down penistone road 

The only ground in the country not to have any covered standing areas 

It was proper crap, and we all begged for a covered kop 

Dont let the mists of time change facts 

46 minutes ago, the monk said:

Yep fantastic atmosphere, as the wind and rain blew in your face and took it straight down penistone road 

The only ground in the country not to have any covered standing areas 

It was proper crap, and we all begged for a covered kop 

Dont let the mists of time change facts 

!986 before we got it.

I went on the kop once prior to 1986, got wet through and have been on the North ever since.

Do you remember those blue and white umbrella hats that they used to wear on the kop?

Like this, but blue and white.

umberella.jpg

• Like 1

On 03/10/2018 at 14:45, Blatter said:

Preparation for World Cup a year or two before 66. 

My Dad’s spot was by the tunnel on the south stand terrace. Stood there for decades and didn’t take kindly to seats.

He didn’t like the Kop and settled for Leppings Lane standing in the end cos he always parked in Rockley Road.

On 03/10/2018 at 09:30, sw1867 said:

This is well before my time but would love to have been on that Kop in a packed crowd.

Proper football ground with a proper atmosphere.

Love these photos Dunsby, keep em coming.

Fantastic photo Dunsby, as a young lad I remember when we were playing the Brazilian side Santos (Pele and all) the ground was full to capacity and there was still a few thousand outside waiting to get in but the atmosphere was electric and a bit scary. 
In other games at that time my brother who was a season ticket holder for the south stand would drop his pass from a side wall that overlooked the kop and I would join him and have a seat in the south stand. In those days supporters in the south stand could have a cushion to sit on but if the tread played badly the cushions would be thrown on to the pitch, often striking the odd player. I can understand why they stopped supplying cushions for supporters to sit on!!

18 hours ago, Dronfield Blue said:

!986 before we got it.

I went on the kop once prior to 1986, got wet through and have been on the North ever since.

Do you remember those blue and white umbrella hats that they used to wear on the kop?

Like this, but blue and white.

umberella.jpg

No!

I remember various  people getting annoyed at people putting brollies up though!

Stood on Kop in all weathers from low crowd friendlies (c 2,500 people all way up to 55,000. Been rained on, snowed on, blown away in a gale and stood in blazing sunshine. As for atmosphere, 200 on the Lane End or the North Stand would make more noise than the Kop no matter how crowded simply because any wind nearly always blew towards the Kop and carried the noise away over the back.

Almost without exception those of us who experienced it uncovered begged the club for years to put a roof on.

Anyone looking back to those days saying I wish it were still the same either never experienced it or has gone senile!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

In that photo of the team coming out there is a Wednesday player in full kit sat in the dugout.   There were no subs in the 50's so what is he doing there ?

Fag break?

• Haha 1

On 03/10/2018 at 18:41, dunsbyowl said:

Just about here?1952tunnel_zpsixnld2fc.thumb.jpg.856978b1d3058bfffbb3e7c0711b6675.jpg

Is that REALLY Hillsborough?

I cannot recall steps up from the tunnel.

Those 'pens' either side were rectangular at SWFC.

Any chance it is Tottenham? - BUT the guy on the left is in the HOME bench.:unsure:

Still think it's Bannister not ROD.

Edited by OhForAnotherShez

49 minutes ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

Is that REALLY Hillsborough?

I cannot recall steps up from the tunnel.

Those 'pens' either side were rectangular at SWFC.

Any chance it is Tottenham? - BUT the guy on the left is in the HOME bench.:unsure:

Still think it's Bannister not ROD.

This thread may be of interest on both counts...

I remember our family all standing on the scaffolding boards at the Leppings Lane end that I think were erected to make up for the height difference between the terrace and the new North stand. I suspect that Health and Safety would not approve these days. The area was always packed and “if you don’t bounce” was definitely not necessary. I saw us beat dem Bla**s 3-0 on a freezing winter’s day when the ice on the pitch was so bad that Ron Springett and Alan Hodgkinson both wore tracksuit bottoms. ( they made ‘em tough in those days) . Derek Wilkinson I think scored two, the second a daisy cutter from about three miles out which never touched the floor before nestling perfectly in the right hand corner. You had to try to synchronise your landing and take off with everybody else on the same board...

Great days. What a great player Derek Wilkinson was too! WAWAW.

On 11/06/2020 at 13:29, bolton9owl said:

Fantastic photo Dunsby, as a young lad I remember when we were playing the Brazilian side Santos (Pele and all) the ground was full to capacity and there was still a few thousand outside waiting to get in but the atmosphere was electric and a bit scary. 
In other games at that time my brother who was a season ticket holder for the south stand would drop his pass from a side wall that overlooked the kop and I would join him and have a seat in the south stand. In those days supporters in the south stand could have a cushion to sit on but if the tread played badly the cushions would be thrown on to the pitch, often striking the odd player. I can understand why they stopped supplying cushions for supporters to sit on!!

The cushions were also available on the North. Quite often they did not reach the pitch. I was hit by one during the Liverpool game. These were not soft cushions!