Jos Luhukay "We were looking too much to Barry Bannan"

We are heavily reliant on Bannan. The likes of Reach and Pelupessy need to start taking more responsibility in the middle and creating things. Everyone's first instinct it let Bannan do all the work. If he gets injured we are in trouble. 

Refreshing when Onomah came on he was looking to get on the ball and make things happen himself. I'd have Bannan and Onomah in the middle against Forest.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Refreshing when Onomah came on he was looking to get on the ball and make things happen himself. I'd have Bannan and Onomah in the middle against Forest.

Who's dropping out Reach or Pelupessy?

Because despite a couple of decent bursts I thought we looked more exposed when Onomah came on.

2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

It does feel like our tactics are: give the ball to Bannan ASAP

Quite clearly not, as Jos is obviously p*ssed it's still happening.

The one thing that is clear Bannan is Always prepared to make himself available for the ball.

Always prepared to chase down a lost cause.

Always prepared to take responsibility on the ball going forward.

We need more of our players to take on the responsibility of all three of these responsibilities.

Jos is clearly not happy that players are not taking responsibility on the ball going forward and choosing other better placed op options.

Maybe that's why Reach looked isolated.

Our defenders have got to take more responsibility bringing the ball forward from what I saw.

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Who's dropping out Reach or Pelupessy?

Because despite a couple of decent bursts I thought we looked more exposed when Onomah came on.

On today's performance Reach. I'm inclined to think Reach was played in the wrong position today rather than he's had an off day. On the flip side, Bannan doesn't feel it's below him to chase down the ball (Out of position) or track back (Out of position) for 90 minutes, so you can take your choice with Reach today.

Just now, vulva said:

Add a fully fit Hutchinson and FF to this side, and it would transform it. We’ve also lacked a domineering centre half for a long long time. 

Can't see Hutch getting back to the level he was in 15/16. Think that ship has sailed.

For me we are a quality CM to complement Bannan and dominant centre half away from challenging in this league. But then again we have been for years.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I don't think we did. We looked most exposed in the first half for me. Bannan and Onomah for me. 

Completely exposed in the first twenty minutes because our front three were allowing there back four all the time in the world to play balls into our midfield.

The second goal was unforgivable as we'd not learnt the lesson from the first goal.

8 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Pelupessy.

As for Reach, I still maintain he is much more effective out wide. It's where he's best. He has the ocassional good game in the middle.

Seemed to spend a lot of time about an inch off centre forward today to not much effect. 

19 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We are heavily reliant on Bannan. The likes of Reach and Pelupessy need to start taking more responsibility in the middle and creating things. Everyone's first instinct it let Bannan do all the work. If he gets injured we are in trouble. 

He wasn't on the look out to get back and cover the defence though. Does look a threat going forward the though. He's the type of player who is going to need service from what I could see.

I think the midfield for the next game should be:

Pelupessy

Bannan        Onomah

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

Seemed to spend a lot of time about an inch off centre forward today to not much effect. 

A bizzare False Nine choice.

João would have been far better in the middle and ironically Reach would have been better out wide I'm sure.

That said in the first half João was one of our best defenders. Tracking back and clearing balls on the near post. Is Reach going to bring this to his game? João is wasted doing it for me. Likewise Bannan is also wasted at times tracking back and helping our defenders get the ball out of our own half.

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I think after the sub shuffle we, Reach and Penney looked much better offensively and defensively. Couple of great runs and link ups. Results are what they are but I think today Wood and Stoke have provided us with our biggest test of this week. Forrest or Villa will not match Stokes performance even though they may match or better todays result. 

4 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

A bizzare False Nine choice.

João would have been far better in the middle and ironically Reach would have been better out wide I'm sure.

That said in the first half João was one of our best defenders. Tracking back and clearing balls on the near post. Is Reach going to bring this to his game? João is wasted doing it for me. Likewise Bannan is also wasted at times tracking back and helping our defenders get the ball out of our own half.

I'd have possibly given them a little move about.

But... I'm sure they must have been working on the shape all week and that Jos wanted to give them time to implement it. 

I thought they all worked terrifically hard in getting back in numbers. Especially the last 15 of the first half.  Fletcher made one acrobatic clearance out of our 18 yard box and I found myself not really believing he was right back there and glancing up the pitch to check his wasn't stood on the half way line with his hands on his hips as strikers did when I was a lad.

5 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I think after the sub shuffle we, Reach and Penney looked much better offensively and defensively. Couple of great runs and link ups. Results are what they are but I think today Wood and Stoke have provided us with our biggest test of this week. Forrest or Villa will not match Stokes performance even though they may match or better todays result. 

Agree Nev. The young lads especially will have gained more out of today than other games. They've really had to focus after the shocking start to the game and get to grips with a side who really should be a lot higher placed.

9 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I'd have possibly given them a little move about.

But... I'm sure they must have been working on the shape all week and that Jos wanted to give them time to implement it. 

I thought they all worked terrifically hard in getting back in numbers. Especially the last 15 of the first half.  Fletcher made one acrobatic clearance out of our 18 yard box and I found myself not really believing he was right back there and glancing up the pitch to check his wasn't stood on the half way line with his hands on his hips as strikers did when I was a lad.

You can't critice Fletcher or João for their efforts getting back. I'm sure Reach was tracking back, as part of the formation, but his efforts were not as noticed as João or Fletcher.

TBF when I saw Fletcher make that over head clearance in our box, my first thought was WTF, he can't see where he's cleared the ball too. Second was why can't we get him up field and have him doing that in Stokes' area.

My concern is the running that Fletcher and João did tracking back when Stokes defenders sliced balls through our midfield would have been better spent pressing their defenders, who had all the time in the world to set up the moves which led to their first two goals.

It's difficult to win games when you are two nil down. Fair play to Bannan for dragging us over the line to get a point.

40 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Can't see Hutch getting back to the level he was in 15/16. Think that ship has sailed.

For me we are a quality CM to complement Bannan and dominant centre half away from challenging in this league. But then again we have been for years.

Unfortunately, Onomah doesn't seem to be defensively minded. Looks good going forward. It's clear to his team mates where he wants the ball.