Is football becoming uninvestable?

3 hours ago, East Yorks Owl said:

There’s something depressingly familiar about the mess our club and our owner finds itself in.  I personally can’t understand why any sane individual would invest their hard earned into a football club. It appears to be a horribly high risk investment and even with a degree of success along the way, it ultimately is destined to end in tears for the majority of clubs. 

Using my local club, Hull as an example, they’ve actually gained promotion to the PL twice in recent years but currently are struggling to cling onto Championship survival with owners who have seemingly given up on the club.  Their opponents last night, Villa, have spent all those years in the PL yet financially have nothing but debt to show for it.   Even sssuming one day DC could see our club in the PL, does that really guarantee his investment will be a success?  

With the exception of the elite top flight clubs, everyone else appears to be battling to minimise losses at best.  The players seem to hold much of the power, but few if any risks. I know if I was DC I would find it very difficult to award contracts that the club can’t effectively afford.  It’s a crazy business model that seemingly demands an owner to underwrite never ending losses to afford any chance of progression on the pitch and once promotion has been gained to the PL the risks just move onto a higher level ( as clubs such as Bolton and Sunderland have experienced).

Its pretty obvious DC has made mistakes, but in fairness to the bloke our fan base was desperate for somebody to have a go and he’s definitely done that. I just find it sad that he’s probably regretting bitterly the whole venture and there won’t be an easy way out (as the Hull owner has found out).  Personally I rarely attend more than a handful of Wednesday games each year, so I don’t feel as invested as many, but  I do have some sympathy for DC as I feel the financial framework supporting football is horribly flawed. 

I haven’t much else to add apart from encouraging fans to show some tolerance and patience. Hopefully this season will offer some much needed hope, but irrespective of results there are still far worse things in life than losing a football match.

A Great post.

IF I was unlucky enough to win the Euros, then I would rather put all the money in an old oil drum and burn it than buy a Sports club, of any sport.

26 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

Money Men innit, we all knew how it would all end up. Sadly, some people have never known anything else

Too true.

I sit in the North stand and anyone who sits near me will remember me saying 3 years ago that it will all end in tears.

After 50 yrs of watching SWFC, 47 as a season ticket holder, I think I have seen and heard it all.

What is happening now is not new.

Just now, adelphi1867 said:

Too true.

I sit in the North stand and anyone who sits near me will remember me saying 3 years ago that it will all end in tears.

After 50 yrs of watching SWFC, 47 as a season ticket holder, I think I have seen and heard it all.

What is happening now is not new.

I think you’ll find it’s always been around but it mainly kicked off in the mid 80s in a large scale. Then sky came ...

48 minutes ago, Quist said:

Outside of Champions league benefactors not investors are required. Due to the stupidity of some of the top teams backed by multi-billionaires it is doubtful money will be made any where. Although good players transfer fees over £100 million and wages in excess of £1 million a week are just silly sums. With TV revenue reaching its max expect somebody to come unstuck big style in next couple of years.

Needs regulation on agents as they are fueling situation and taking money out of game which can be ill afforded.

Latest figures say, huge profits for prem league teams...record levels. 17 prem teams made substantial amounts of dosh. When the latest figures are released, experts predict every single prem team will show profit.

Man city made over £400m...Man u even more, and were not even involved in the champ league.

Some gamblers will have a punt and try to get in on the game..

Most will come unstuck

Edited by sherlyegg

16 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

Latest figures say, huge profits for prem league teams...record levels. 17 prem teams made substantial amounts of dosh. When the latest figures are released, experts predict every single prem team will show profit.

Man city made over £400m...Man u even more, and were not even involved in the champ league.

Some gamblers will have a punt and try to get in on the game..

Most will come unstuck

This is fools profit for most teams as they are investing more than profits in new players for new season. Manchester City have invested a couple of billion to get to where they are.

Extra TV money has dried up, Prem League were not happy with sales of TV rights in last auction so never ending uward cycle will have to flatten.