Anyone with a Good Memory - Cushion Throwing

After those disgraceful scenes in Hamburg this week I was pondering back on  how Wednesdayites used to express their disatisfaction in the old days.

I came across this story from 1962 - anyone remember this far back (before my time :-) ) Would this be one of the earliest cushion throwing incidents.  Can't belive people would do such things before the swinging sixties kicked in ;-)

As for waving your rattle at the Ref......

1962.jpeg.6fa185a90ed8f2516f4f71b52af0db7c.jpeg

5afae8e0e823b_1962Layne.jpeg.88b755ec029dcdcabd95b2d0def7be0d.jpeg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dunsbyowl said:

After those disgraceful scenes in Hamburg this week I was pondering back on  how Wednesdayites used to express their disatisfaction in the old days.

I came across this story from 1962 - anyone remember this far back (before my time :-) ) Would this be one of the earliest cushion throwing incidents.  Can't belive people would do such things before the swinging sixties kicked in ;-)

One of the first games I went to as a kid 

on my own there was an avalanche of cushions pinged from the Canterlever

I somehow caught a stray in the Leppings lower and decided upon myself to class it as fair game and trotted off home with it ..

Proudly presented it to my mum who swiftly turned me round and "frogmarched" me back back to the ground to return it ...........

They weren't flimsy them cushions 

If you got hit with one it would smart a bit...

Probably ask Peter Grummit he had a few thousand lobbed at him, sure he'd know ?

They were a good Barometer for how good or bad Wednesday played ....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

One of the first games I went to as a kid 

on my own there was an avalanche of cushions pinged from the Canterlever

I somehow caught a stray in the Leppings lower and decided upon myself to class it as fair game and trotted off home with it ..

Proudly presented it to my mum who swiftly turned me round and "frogmarched" me back back to the ground to return it ...........

They weren't flimsy them cushions 

If you got hit with one it would smart a bit...

Probably ask Peter Grummit he had a few thousand lobbed at him, sure he'd know ?

They were a good Barometer for how good or bad Wednesday played ....

Thanks OG !

• Like 1

I wasnt the match in 62,but was present at the Liverpool home game 1968 where three quarters of the pitch got covered in cushions and the sides left the pitch untill they were cleared,this came about after Gerry Youngs goal was ruled out controversially.

I believe it was a televised game on ITV on the sunday,and I tuned in to see what the problem with the goal was and re visit the cushion mayhem,but YTV cut the cushion throwing out.

I was in the north stand as a young kid and Id never seen Owls fans react so angrilly,the hire of cushions was banned after that game,I cant recall them comming back.

Edited by legendaryswan
  • Like 1

I wasn't at the game but I think layne was sent off for smacking a player called sleeuwenhouk in the gob while waiting for a corner to be taken .....evidently the ref didn't see the incident but when it was pointed out that he was lying on the floor with blood pouring from said gob and bronco had blood on his shirt the ref sent bronco on his way and the crowd reacted .........it happened again  a few years later against I think Liverpool when the scored a contentious goal .

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

I remember that Liverpool game though I can't recall whether it was a disallowed goal for us or a debateable one for them.

I do remember, though, cobbing my dad's cushion on the pitch.... 

It was there goal,I was mistaken in my original recollection,Young was adjudged to have fouled just outside the area and Liverpool were awarded a soft freekick and scored from it,cant recall who took it,but Arrowsmith scored with a header,it was about 88 or 89th minute and then it rained cushions,can still see the groundstaff trying to remove them and yet they still poured onto the pitch and both sides left the pitch as the ground emptied,the ground just echoed to a chorus of boos.

For the record it was april 1968,Roger Hunt scored,and that goal took him past Billy Liddel as Liverpools highest goalscorer,a typical poachers goal and it was 0-1 at the break.The returning Ford was introduced for young Brian Woodhall who was injured on the hour(Ford hadnt played since the fatal carcrash in september),and he scored after 79 minutes,McCalliog hit a post in the 85th minute with a 30 yard scorcher and Wednesday had the scousers on the rack for the final 20 minutes,untill the freekick.

Cushions on the pitch was a regular thing in the early 70's, but I seem to recall it was permanently stopped during the 74/75 relegation season (possibly after the 0-2 v Bolton over the Christmas period.

Think that was also my first time in the North Stand so if I'd known I might have hired one and got in on the action!

Seat cushions were sold by the supporters club right upto 1988,when they were eventually withdrawn permantly,possibly a HSE issue,they were sold at 20p.

They were withdrawn for long periods after issues with cobbing them onto the pitch,a few were thrown at chelsea players during an early 80s game

On 16/05/2018 at 11:13, dunsbyowl said:

I was at the match, it was certainly the first time I'd witnessed any cushion throwing.

• Like 1

On 17/05/2018 at 23:08, legendaryswan said:

It was there goal,I was mistaken in my original recollection,Young was adjudged to have fouled just outside the area and Liverpool were awarded a soft freekick and scored from it,cant recall who took it,but Arrowsmith scored with a header,it was about 88 or 89th minute and then it rained cushions,can still see the groundstaff trying to remove them and yet they still poured onto the pitch and both sides left the pitch as the ground emptied,the ground just echoed to a chorus of boos.

For the record it was april 1968,Roger Hunt scored,and that goal took him past Billy Liddel as Liverpools highest goalscorer,a typical poachers goal and it was 0-1 at the break.The returning Ford was introduced for young Brian Woodhall who was injured on the hour(Ford hadnt played since the fatal carcrash in september),and he scored after 79 minutes,McCalliog hit a post in the 85th minute with a 30 yard scorcher and Wednesday had the scousers on the rack for the final 20 minutes,untill the freekick.

Strange ,I would have bet my life they were winning 1-0 and we had a late equaliser ruled out 

I was at the bottom corner of the Lep and it looked pretty spectacular as the cushions rained down !