#SWFC 5 - 1 Norwich OMDT

4 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

A quality final omdt, as per. Thanks bestowed to His Lordship for a regular, highly amusing informative season long feature. Much appreciated.

We will win 5-2. Warrior will get a hat-trick. Mr Loovens will get a large dose of clap.

Looking forward to a busy summer under a new regime.

Onwards.

UTO!

Bump.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nice to think that last four home games, we had Fulham, who outclassed us. The other three we have won by 3, 3, and 4 goals.

Lots to like today, with some beautiful fluent forward movement. the 4th goal was a comedy moment but a gorgeous set up.

As a simple man, I tend to think that since we are blessed with forwards (today's three and Hooper and Fletcher and indeed Matias who did nice cameo) three up front which in effect was what today was must be the way to go. It is certainly fun to watch.

I continue to worry that we look underpowered in midfield and by and large lost the battle there today. Saved by an excellent central defence which time and time again stopped them capitalising on good positions, and by lethal play (not just finishing but the conversion of position to chance) at their end.

Hugely enjoyable. I wouldn't go beyond this, but definitely think we can be play off contenders next year.

14 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Wait!
Stop! Stop!

No, no,  sorry folks,you can't go.  Kick your flip-flops off, put the  Ambre Solaire down. Put it down. We haven't finished yet, we've still got one more to do. 

Wednesday - V - Nar'ch

No automatic alt text available.

There'll be no form guides or tables this week. No point is there. It's all over but the post match clap.
So I might as well start there. The post match clap. 
Glenn Loovens will be getting one. And rightly so.  The skippers time at Hillsborough has come to an end and this will be the last time we have the chance to see him represent our club.
But does Loovens start? Would you start him? I mean, there's nothing to play for is there. I was of the opinion in the week that he doesn't have to play. We're building for next season. The skipper has been out of the side because the gaffer thinks other people can do a better job. And Jos doesn't strike me as the type to make a decision based on some sentimental whim.  I get that it would be nice for the skipper to score a bullet head from a corner at the KOP end to sign off his career as a Wednesday player.  But following Wednesday never follows the desired script does it. He could easily kick someone in the balls and walk. You just never know. 
Besides, he can still have a walk on the pitch after can't he and have a stroll around and take the applause from the stands. ( As long as no chumps run on the pitch) . But there's that little part of me. That little sentimental angel on the shoulder. It might be a nice touch. One last run out. Afterall, he's been an super player for us. 

Coming in on a free from Cardiff. A stop gap player to help us out of the sheeite when he came we were looking at the drop. He's ended up staying and being an absolutely smashing player for us and helped us bridge the gap between the old guard and the new. He's had a great 5 years. He's captained us at Wembley in a play-off final. Albeit that we lost, but when he first signed in 2013 he'd have not envisaged doing that I'm sure.  

The bedrock of our more recent 'Goodtimes' has all been built on that foundation of keeping our Championship status that year. Indeed would Chansiri would have even been interested in buying the club had we fallen back into the Pub League? I'm not sure he would have. Glenn has possibly played a bigger part in us moving forward than he'll ever know, even if he won't be around for when we eventually get over the line. 

Anyway. Whether he plays or not, In the future when I look back on Glenn I'll try to remember the defensive contribution he made in collecting those clean sheets under Gray, the ones which helped us to Championship survival . He was immense in those testing days. No doubt about it, those clean sheets saved our bacon because we certainly weren't going to outscore anybody that year. That's how I'll try and think of him. As a cultured centre half who came in during our time of need and helped turn us around. A calm and cultured defender doing the blue and white striped shirt proud.

Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor

Cheers Skipper and Good Luck!

Of course. It's not just about Glenn.

I hope Ross is there too. He's really become one of my favourites in his time at the club. A little lad with a big personality , and always one who produced on the big occasion. It's one of the biggest upsets I've had in recent years when he limped out of last years play off second leg.

Injured or not, I hope the wee man is there tomorrow to let us wish him well. . 

Blimey.

I'm getting a bit emotional. Strange for a man of my age. Especially when these comings and goings are nothing new. You'd think I'd be used to it by now wouldn't you.

Almost as if the game is becoming secondary in my head as I allow myself to drift in recent memory. 

I certainly don't think Jos will be treating it as a nothing game though, even though there's nothing riding on it. He just doesn't strike me as the type.

Lots of talk that maybe some of the kids will get a run out and while I'm sure Jos will be wanting to have a look at people, no doubt with an eye on next season, I think he'll still try and put out his strongest side. If there are any -as yet- untried kids involved I'm pretty sure it will be from the bench. 

Match facts

• The Owls have lost one of their past 15 home matches against Norwich in all competitions (W10 D4), a 5-0 defeat in December 2001.

• Sheffield Wednesday have kept three consecutive clean sheets (W2 D1), last going on a longer run in April 2016 (run of four).

• Norwich have lost five of their past six away league matches on the final day of a league season (W1), conceding 22 goals in those matches.

• James Maddison has been directly involved in 46% of Norwich's 48 league goals this campaign (14 goals, eight assists) - no Championship player has been involved in a higher percentage of their side's goals.

I've no idea if Palmer is fit. I did watch all the press conference the other day to try and find out what the situation was with both Palmer and Hunt, but the journos seemed to be focusing on whether Jos would be flogging any players who he hasn't actually seen yet because they haven't been fit (He'd like to seem them first was the answer by the way) . 

But if Palmer is fit I would like to have another little look at this line up. 

No automatic alt text available.

It'll be funny looking down from the stands. Because though we know that Glenn and Ross are both going, we don't know for sure whether he it might be the last time that we see some of the others out there in the starting line up. Sure, some are under contract, but that doesn't mean anything. 

Venancios' loan is at an end and while Jos has said he'd very much like to get the lad signed up for next season there will be some work to be done in agreeing a fee with his club that's acceptable to Wednesday and to the FFP limits which we look like approaching. So it could be a farewell for him. 

Big Adthe too. Contract's on the table. Will he sign? I hope so. Whatever people say about the big-man I know this, it wouldn't be the same dressing room without him

Without being a harbinger of doom you also have to look at Barry and Fernando. I think nearly every club in the division would like to have those two on the books, but who knows. It might be a case of balancing the books. Letting one player go to get two slightly cheaper ones in. 

I was bloody devastated when we let Dalian Atkinson go. What a talent. But we signed Paul Williams AND Danny Wilson with the money we made on him and actually ended up with a better balanced side AND a few bob pocketed. 

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, close-up

Sometimes a successful team is greater than the sum of the parts isn't it. 

So who knows. Not saying that they will be gone. I hope we keep hold of them.

In an ideal world when you have some exceptional talents you want to try and build a team around them, but we know it's not always possible.

To build teams around your best players takes big money and with the FFP situation it might be a case of cutting our cloth accordingly....

If they do go. I hope they don't, but if they do, then we just have to trust in the judgement of the managers that they can see a bigger picture than we can. 

So even though it might seem a nothing game today. Even though it's a dead rubber. Enjoy it. Make the most of it. Give the lads the backing. For some it it will be the end of the Wednesday Road. For some kids it'll be the first tentative baby steps on their  journey with us . 

As my mother always said. Never go to bed on an argument. 

I think the same about football. Never end the season with ill feeling

Whether they're coming or going. Lets make sure it's a good atmosphere all around for all our lads tomorrow finish the season with a smile.

Because really that's what it should be all about. 

After all. 

We're all Wednesday aren't we?

COME ON WEDNESAY

Fantastic sign off, Snoots - just make sure you are back to continue with this in August and beyond. 

Uncharacteristically, I am full of childish hope for next season and just would like to add two memories of Glenn and Ross:

Glenn's great Boxing Day goal v Newcastle at St James's Park when we did the double over them when they went up and....

Ross's great opener in our 3 v 0 thrashing of Arseole in The League Cup 2015.

Great stuff, Snoots. Don't die before we are back in the top division!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, VictoryBell said:

Great stuff, Snoots. Don't die before we are back in the top division!!!!!!

I'll try not to,  though this club does its best to push me to the edge of the mortal precipice! 

These players couldn't pass a ball, play 90 minutes or score when they played in competitive games. 

How come they can do it now? 

What a load of overpaid hangers on we've got lumbered with. 

It's so much easier to score and pass when there's nothing to play for. 

Let see what these players are made of next season. 

I said before this season started we hadn't gotta change of promotion. So many on here slagged me off. Eventually they saw the light and realised we were hopeless. 

We've got the highest paid players in the championship. Many of your players get more than Premier league players. And look what we've got for our money. 

Wolves have spent much less and walked out this season. That is because they bought good players and had effective management. 

We've wasted so much money. 

And after a terrible season our players suddenly can pass a ball and score. 

Monty python couldn't have written this farce any better. 

2 hours ago, Mrmason69 said:

These players couldn't pass a ball, play 90 minutes or score when they played in competitive games. 

How come they can do it now? 

What a load of overpaid hangers on we've got lumbered with. 

It's so much easier to score and pass when there's nothing to play for. 

Let see what these players are made of next season. 

I said before this season started we hadn't gotta change of promotion. So many on here slagged me off. Eventually they saw the light and realised we were hopeless. 

We've got the highest paid players in the championship. Many of your players get more than Premier league players. And look what we've got for our money. 

Wolves have spent much less and walked out this season. That is because they bought good players and had effective management. 

We've wasted so much money. 

And after a terrible season our players suddenly can pass a ball and score. 

Monty python couldn't have written this farce any better. 

IMG_6837.thumb.PNG.ed5a49cc8ccf9ad9fda3335c4bdfaee9.PNG