Where are they now, Chris Bart-Williams

skillful player who didn't turn out quite as good as I thought he would when he first arrived . ......I have always doubted  his age the fact that he was finished as a top flight player by the time he was "30"  and retired  at 32 don't allay my doubts .....

23 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

They (Orient)  also got Chris Turner as part of the deal. Who was still a top keeper at that time. (I'd argue he'd have saved the Cup final header - but that's a debate for another day)

Liked Bart-Williams. Very skillful player.  Remarkable lack of pace though. Good job he was so skillful. 

He saved a similar one from McClair in the 91 LC Final so I'm with you on that one Snoots.

Interesting title, "Where are they now?" when you look at the clubs CBW played for it could equally be applied to them. He appears to be the common denominator!

32 minutes ago, room0035 said:

No he didn't

He did.  He was an apprentice.  Signed pro in 85.  Where did you think we got him from?  He was born in Hampshire but came to Dronfield as a little kid so I'd class him as pretty local.  Heres a picture when he was an apprentice .

boys.jpg

19 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Why do we always complain about a player's 'lack of pace'  Bart Williams was a laid back type of player who didn't need to be haring up and down the field like a lunatic. he had a football brain and knew where to be at the right time. The ability to run a sub 9 sec 100 metres doesn't necessarily make a footballer. It's reading the game, being in the right place at the right time, and beingable to pick out the player in the right place with a defence splitting pass.that counts.

You could have saved the bother of typing all that and just said...Jon Otsemebor.

• Haha 1

Guest Jack the Hat
On 04/05/2018 at 10:55, Lord Snooty said:

They (Orient)  also got Chris Turner as part of the deal. Who was still a top keeper at that time. (I'd argue he'd have saved the Cup final header - but that's a debate for another day)

Liked Bart-Williams. Very skillful player.  Remarkable lack of pace though. Good job he was so skillful. 

I'd have saved that header. As well as lack of pace he used to freeze in front of goal and couldn't take a penalty for toffee . Overall a great play. I remeber the best goal he ALMOST scored was at Maine road when he took on half of Western Europe before rounding the keeper and sliding the ball goalbound. Just as it was trickling over the line another Wednesday player slid in and claimed it! Cant remember who it was though! I was a uni at the time and went with a bunch of Man City fans. They made me go in the boot all the way back to Bolton 

11 hours ago, Owl At Risk said:

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the legend that was Adem Poric.

Both Aaron Mooy (Man City / Huddersfield) and Tom Rogic (Celtic) were both plying their trade over in Australia 5 years ago. And they were the two standout young players in the league at the time. 

Every season there are at least a couple of teenagers who sign for European clubs. Just seems it isn't an area we are particularly paying attention to.

11 hours ago, Etchesketch said:

He did.  He was an apprentice.  Signed pro in 85.  Where did you think we got him from?  He was born in Hampshire but came to Dronfield as a little kid so I'd class him as pretty local.  Heres a picture when he was an apprentice .

boys.jpg

Proper kits

4 hours ago, aussieowl87 said:

Both Aaron Mooy (Man City / Huddersfield) and Tom Rogic (Celtic) were both plying their trade over in Australia 5 years ago. And they were the two standout young players in the league at the time. 

Every season there are at least a couple of teenagers who sign for European clubs. Just seems it isn't an area we are particularly paying attention to.

I wasn't really talking about the here and now though, just responding to the guy who claimed we had a great Aussie scouting set up back in the day.

Yep, we got Porec...others scouted Viduka, Lazaridis, Cahill and that druggy goalkeeper.

When it comes to nowadays they should perhaps just stick to what they do best....ball tampering and egg chasing (the proper one, the posh persons one and that homoerotic one with the tiny shorts and vests)

• Haha 1