Where are they now, Chris Bart-Williams

I loved Bart Williams, so skillful, laid back and composed on the ball. I remember him completely mugging off an ageing Peter Reid by trapping a high ball and flicking it over his head and leaving him for dead. Those were the days. Now he was also quality on the old 'championship manager 93' commodore Amiga classic lol 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jordyowl said:

The Owls shelled out £2750,000 to bring him to Hillsborough in 1991, the year they were promoted to the English top flight, the First Division, as it was then known.

Paid an unrealistic amount of money for him

Sure it was more like £275k - still a lot of money for an unproven 17 year old from the lower leagues back then (around the same time we got the likes of Waddle and England keeper Chris Woods for around a million each). Turned out to be a bargain though.

They (Orient)  also got Chris Turner as part of the deal. Who was still a top keeper at that time. (I'd argue he'd have saved the Cup final header - but that's a debate for another day)

Liked Bart-Williams. Very skillful player.  Remarkable lack of pace though. Good job he was so skillful. 

Didn't we sell him to for for £2.5m or something like that.

We used to have a very good scouting network in the lower league, Ireland and Australia where we brought alot of players through the Quinn, Del Geary, players like Pressman and Bart man at young ages from lower league or young players from other local teams that we improved like one David Hirst £250,000 in 1986 for a player who become one of our club legends in my living memory.

We all say we want local lads in the team but I just want us to stop spending fortunes on over the hill one, last big pay day players and either produce our own players or find good young players from elsewhere that we can develop and improve and move the team forward or if we get silly offers take them and reinvest in the club to improve it. We used to do this but over the last 15+ years we have spent that long treading water we have lost our identity as a club. Hopefully this is now happening and Thorniley will be the first a player released by another team, developed in our youth ranks, loan out then took his chance and developed into the first team - maybe the first of many.

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

They (Orient)  also got Chris Turner as part of the deal. Who was still a top keeper at that time. (I'd argue he'd have saved the Cup final header - but that's a debate for another day)

Liked Bart-Williams. Very skillful player.  Remarkable lack of pace though. Good job he was so skillful. 

Always as a keeper get your body behind the ball, Never sink to your knees and use your finger tips ! Worst international keeper we ever had. 

Great player, one of those who just got on with it and didn't muck about.

Glad he seems to be having a good time and being successful in another venture now, he earned it.

Put on some reyt timber though, crikey lol

DDP_CHP__1070bartwilliamsJPG.jpg

DDP_CHP__1071bartwilliamsJPG.jpg

A smashing little player who should have gone on to play for bigger clubs on a bigger stage. I always thought he maybe lacked a bit of self confidence/drive in a team which had some big personalities....almost as if he didn't feel he belonged there? Did Francis believe in him, trust him to do a job for him. Just my perception of Chris 30 years later. Glad to hear life's treating him well.        

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

My mum would have saved that header. I'll never forgive Woods for that blunder. It's no co-incidence when he was England's number 1 we went from World Cup semi-finalist to failing to get out of the group at the Euros.

Why do we always complain about a player's 'lack of pace'  Bart Williams was a laid back type of player who didn't need to be haring up and down the field like a lunatic. he had a football brain and knew where to be at the right time. The ability to run a sub 9 sec 100 metres doesn't necessarily make a footballer. It's reading the game, being in the right place at the right time, and beingable to pick out the player in the right place with a defence splitting pass.that counts.

3 hours ago, Halifax Owls said:

A smashing little player who should have gone on to play for bigger clubs on a bigger stage. I always thought he maybe lacked a bit of self confidence/drive in a team which had some big personalities....almost as if he didn't feel he belonged there? Did Francis believe in him, trust him to do a job for him. Just my perception of Chris 30 years later. Glad to hear life's treating him well.        

Thought, he lacked speed other than that a tremendous player.  

19 hours ago, room0035 said:

Didn't we sell him to for for £2.5m or something like that.

We used to have a very good scouting network in the lower league, Ireland and Australia where we brought alot of players through the Quinn, Del Geary, players like Pressman and Bart man at young ages from lower league or young players from other local teams that we improved like one David Hirst £250,000 in 1986 for a player who become one of our club legends in my living memory.

We all say we want local lads in the team but I just want us to stop spending fortunes on over the hill one, last big pay day players and either produce our own players or find good young players from elsewhere that we can develop and improve and move the team forward or if we get silly offers take them and reinvest in the club to improve it. We used to do this but over the last 15+ years we have spent that long treading water we have lost our identity as a club. Hopefully this is now happening and Thorniley will be the first a player released by another team, developed in our youth ranks, loan out then took his chance and developed into the first team - maybe the first of many.

Pressman wasn't signed from the lower leagues.  He came up through the ranks.

i remember speaking to my Forest mate after he'd signed for them and asked him how he was playing. He said that in the first three matches he'd only seen him give the ball away ONCE...he thought Chris was the dogs