Fraser Preston

11 hours ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

I think he's 19 but you were nearer to be fair lol

Yes you're right.  Even the club have got it wrong.  In a recent website article they said he was 20 but they took that from his incorrect date of birth on his website profile.  It says 05/03/1998 when it is actually 01/10/1998.  This would put him in the same age group as Hirst, Wallis, J Lee and Kirby which is right.

15 hours ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Cant blame any lad wanting to better himself ,We will struggle to make a challenge for premier for a few yrs .

absolutely mate .... you cant blame players for showing no  loyalty to a club when they know the club will show none to them .precarious business football and get what you can  while you can is what i'd be doing if I was a player  coz your a long time retired . 

1 minute ago, coopswfc76 said:

Any point in the youth set up if the best players just bugger off after developing? 

.give'em the contracts they want so they sign up for 3-4 years or let some other buggers take them and be satisfied with the compensation money . you give em what they want and they don't train on your lumbered with them .course they may become stars you can sell for millions ....... what do you do ?

32 minutes ago, torryowl said:

.give'em the contracts they want so they sign up for 3-4 years or let some other buggers take them and be satisfied with the compensation money . you give em what they want and they don't train on your lumbered with them .course they may become stars you can sell for millions ....... what do you do ?

I've always held the view, that any very promising young player is given his chance to at least train with the first team and a place on the bench, so his Head Coach can assess them close up and see their reaction, BEFORE any longer/higher pay contract is put in front of them. The Academy coaches should be bringing their contracts into line with their progress, with a max award of two years, with annual rolling contract so they are less likely to walk away towards the end of their contracts without some notice. prior to any longer and better offer being put in front of them.. They then get up to date recognition year on year,slightly improved terms each year as recognition for their hard work and improvement and have the carrot dangled out there for inclusion in the first team squad.No decent player should be allowed to walk away without the Head Coach having the final say, in my view.

I previously worked as a Wednesday Academy scout and I do assure you its hard enough finding lads good enough to attend our Academy, without letting them slip through our fingers at the last minute.

4 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

I've always held the view, that any very promising young player is given his chance to at least train with the first team and a place on the bench, so his Head Coach can assess them close up and see their reaction, BEFORE any longer/higher pay contract is put in front of them. The Academy coaches should be bringing their contracts into line with their progress, with a max award of two years, with annual rolling contract so they are less likely to walk away towards the end of their contracts without some notice. prior to any longer and better offer being put in front of them.. They then get up to date recognition year on year,slightly improved terms each year as recognition for their hard work and improvement and have the carrot dangled out there for inclusion in the first team squad.No decent player should be allowed to walk away without the Head Coach having the final say, in my view.

I previously worked as a Wednesday Academy scout and I do assure you its hard enough finding lads good enough to attend our Academy, without letting them slip through our fingers at the last minute.

when you say" rolling contract " is that one that works both ways or just in the clubs favour .....why would a young "star" sign a contract like that when he's got a prem club sniffing round offering a deal that blows anything we can offer out the water . 

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

when you say" rolling contract " is that one that works both ways or just in the clubs favour .....why would a young "star" sign a contract like that when he's got a prem club sniffing round offering a deal that blows anything we can offer out the water . 

I think you have missed the point a little. In reality the player has not reached the status of "star" during the time he is on a rolling contract, he is showing real promise. Its the Academy Managers job to know if the player is reaching beyond that status or perhaps other clubs are showing an interest and then we should make a move to improve his status by recognition to come under the scope and close attention of the club's Head Coach, by having inclusion and involvement in the larger first team squad. The problem really occurs, when the player is not recognised early enough. Everton are a good example of how it should work, they include young players in their first team squad at an early age and play more youngsters than most. The question is how do you show them they have got a REAL chance of breaking through, if you are good enough, no matter what your age. George Hirst should have been given much earlier recognition by being included on a regular basis in the first team squad and even playing in a Cup games, BEFORE his contract began to run out and things got nasty Most young.players will stay with a club where they think they have the best chance of breaking through.

You want them eagerly knocking on the managers door so they can voice their opinions and tell the coach that they think they are ready. More contract dialogue allows that and the club is more sensitive to any unauthorised interest from other clubs. It really is a question of getting as close to a players true feelings and their sense of worth, than simply let them go through longer contracts too early and risk  loosing that closeness.

A rolling contract that allows the club and player to review the situation and progress. A serious period of discussion each year, backed or otherwise by improved terms. The club is never left with less than 12 months to work with and the player is not left high and dry without having a chance to do something earlier or even make improvement to win a contract at a later stage.

If a player is out to make big money at the first opportunity or they vastly over value themselves (like the lad we had Hayden White, thought the grass was greener at Bolton) then you are not going to hold on to them , no matter what.

11 hours ago, torryowl said:

Sounds like we are developing a right bunch of prima donnas....hirst ...Clare and now Preston !!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Hughdowd said:

Sounds like we are developing a right bunch of prima donnas....hirst ...Clare and now Preston !!!!!!!!!!

Reel your neck in....hes not been offered another contract; he's still got another year left...why would they offer n under contract player more when hes not even kicked a first team ball?