New manager...

Let's just hang on a bit. New manager and 3 solid if not scintillating performances.

Yes the young players have made great debut performances.

However, our captain was doing well in his return from injury and then was unfairly sent off. That does not mean we need to replace him.

There will definitely be a different style of defending under the new manager. It will take a while to see which players look the best in the new style. Then we can see who would be the best choice for the captain that will lead us to the promised land.

22 minutes ago, Owl in Nottingham said:

However, our captain was doing well in his return from injury and then was unfairly sent off. That does not mean we need to replace him.

Didn't suggest we needed to, just food for thought as i realised we had two young previous club captains on the books...

21 minutes ago, Owl in Nottingham said:

Let's just hang on a bit. New manager and 3 solid if not scintillating performances.

Yes the young players have made great debut performances.

There will definitely be a different style of defending under the new manager. It will take a while to see which players look the best in the new style. Then we can see who would be the best choice for the captain that will lead us to the promised land.

I may be alone but I have wanted Loovens replaced with better for 2 seasons 

The pros - are that Lees played well alongside him and he's a calming influence

cons - I don't see a captain rousing the troops -I see a slow player who often can't control a bouncing ball nevermind pass the ball sideways which was his trademark 

1 hour ago, steelowl said:

I may be alone but I have wanted Loovens replaced with better for 2 seasons 

The pros - are that Lees played well alongside him and he's a calming influence

cons - I don't see a captain rousing the troops -I see a slow player who often can't control a bouncing ball nevermind pass the ball sideways which was his trademark 

Just a minute. The sideways passing in our defence was clearly coaching strategy in the Carlos years. Unfair to blame this on the players...they do as they are told or get dropped.

Already we have seen that the new manager has different ideas. 

16 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Captain Morgan ...........Fox......

Reaches for Combie.. 

Collar up and heads of into the cold damp night ...

Sorry ..............

Dont...

hugeowl will be along in a moment telling us he's better than David Alaba and all bout his non existent leadership qualities

lol

• Haha 1

Club Captain means a lot more than just playing games. I'd keep it with Loovens. He's the best 2nd best best we've had in my lifetime behind Nigel Pearson.

Loovens is well respected in the camp and he gets them doing all sorts behind the scenes such as yoga and trips away (like the one to Amsterdam for eg)

No need to try and fix something that isn't broken in my opinion

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ramone said:

Club Captain means a lot more than just playing games. I'd keep it with Loovens. He's the best 2nd best best we've had in my lifetime behind Nigel Pearson.

Loovens is well respected in the camp and he gets them doing all sorts behind the scenes such as yoga and trips away (like the one to Amsterdam for eg)

No need to try and fix something that isn't broken in my opinion

Were you not around in Mick Lyons tenure Ramone?

5 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Were you not around in Mick Lyons tenure Ramone?

Bit before my time pal. First game was 1989 (I was a toddler) so Nigel Pearson is my first memory of a player wearing the armband. Although, in them days i'm sure it wasn't actually an armband. It just looked someone had used a roll of masking tape on his bicep!! 

From what my older brother and Dad say, Mick Lyons was a bit of a cult hero...? Dont profess to know anything about him myself

• Like 1

Just now, ramone said:

Bit before my time pal. First game was 1989 (I was a toddler) so Nigel Pearson is my first memory of a player wearing the armband. Although, in them days i'm sure it wasn't actually an armband. It just looked someone had used a roll of masking tape on his bicep!! 

From what my older brother and Dad say, Mick Lyons was a bit of a cult hero...? Dont profess to know anything about him myself

He certainly was Mate...wish we could 

"De-Age" him and slot him into our current team..

My word, Jos would be more than happy with that I  would imagine ?......

3 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

He certainly was Mate...wish we could 

"De-Age" him and slot him into our current team..

My word, Jos would be more than happy with that I  would imagine ?......

Just checked him out on Wiki - His goalscoring record is similar to Nuhiu's and that was from center half!! lol

• Haha 1

I think Loovens will keep the club captaincy to the end of the season. There's a decent chance he won't play a lot of games tho, so i'd guess Pelupessy or Jones are possibilities. Not sure any of the back line are really captain material right now.

Come the end of the season, we'll see a change.

Pudil, Loovens, Nuhiu and Wallace are all out of contract at the end of the season.

Pudil may be retained, but the other three seem likely to move on.

6 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

A LEADER ...Hard as Nails he came from the "Going to be a tough game today lads ..but even tougher in the car park after !!"   gang.....lol

Love players like that!! Cant really think of anyone we've had in my lifetime that may have been similar for comparison... 

Emerson Thome or Graham Coughlan* perhaps? 

*Not ability, but character of the player

Edited by ramone

13 minutes ago, ramone said:

Love players like that!! Cant really think of anyone we've had in my lifetime that may have been similar for comparison... 

Emerson Thome or Graham Coughlan* perhaps? 

*Not ability, but character of the player

Carlton Palmer ...and all jokes aside from the likes of Skinner and Baddiel he was a great footballer ...

I would have him in my best Wednesday team alongside Mike Lyons too 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Carlton Palmer ...and all jokes aside from the likes of Skinner and Baddiel he was a great footballer ...

I would have him in my best Wednesday team alongside Mike Lyons too 

Loved Carlton Palmer. How he gets in peoples 'worst ever England 11' is beyond me. Obviously voted for by people that never saw him play. 

• Like 1