Team for Saturday

It is a tough game against a physical , experienced team.

You have to be careful about finding the balance between giving the young lads a chance and throwing them to the wolves.

I would definitely start Boyd in front of either Ogrady or Clare .

It is just a question of sorting out the formation.

5 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

True.  I think some of Jos' thinking will also take into account whether Cardiff play one up front. 

Guest Copthorneowl
2 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

It is a tough game against a physical , experienced team.

You have to be careful about finding the balance between giving the young lads a chance and throwing them to the wolves.

But would you start Fox in front of anybody.? Clare all day long for Fox even though it’s not his best position. Suppose we all see it how we see it :biggrin:

On 17/01/2018 at 12:05, Southie_Owl said:

João 

Matias

Jones  Reach  Wallace

Fox.                                     Palmer

Pudil Vennancio O’Grady

Wildsmith

Saturday needs to hurry up as I keep changing my mind.  

João 

Matias

Jones Pelupessy Boyd

Reach                                   Palmer

Pudil Vennancio Nielsen

Wildsmith

1 minute ago, Copthorneowl said:

But would you start Fox in front of anybody.? Clare all day long for Fox even though it’s not his best position. Suppose we all see it how we see it :biggrin:

I have never seen Clare play and I would suggest a lot of the people picking him on here haven’t either.

Fox is far from perfect but he played in a clean sheet at the sty.

He is reasonably tall and competitive in the air .

I know Clare is tall, is he good in the air. Is he going to be competitive when we are trying to defend their numerous set pieces?

Obviously I don’t know what the answer is to this.

11 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

I thought you meant Clare in midfield and shuffle Reach to wing back! 

Not sure I'd risk Clare at LWB against Mendez-Laing and the overlapping Manga! It's a big step that

Guest wilyfox

Assuming we don't recover any more players, and with the hopeful addition of Pessy Galore I'd go:

Wildsmith

Nielsen.  Venâncio.  Pudil

Hunt.     Pelupessy.   Jones.    Reach.    Boyd

João     Matias

I'd like to see João & Matias reunited & paired together to satisfy my curiosity. Probably won't happen though. Nielsen or O'Grady? ..Jos' call. 

Guest Copthorneowl
1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

I thought you meant Clare in midfield and shuffle Reach to wing back! 

Not sure I'd risk Clare at LWB against Mendez-Laing and the overlapping Manga! It's a big step that

I did but think he’d eat left wing back, having said that the combination of Reach and Fox on that left flank always leaves me worried to death. Reach great going forward yes but leaving a somewhat hapless Fox uncovered well that’s bad news I think and sometimes it’s good to try something like we did playing Pudil at CB and look how well he did.

Suppose the bottom line is I’ve no confidence in Fox, lose nothing to play Clare

(front two swapping l and r during game)

Joao             Matias

Nuhiu

Reach    Wallace     Palmer     Boyd

Pudil    Venancio   O’G/ Hunt

Wildsmith

Subs  Dawson  Rhodes  Fox  Clare  O’G/Hunt  Jones   Pelupessy

Clare although would have to defend is not there for that part of the game. I believe the front 3 of Clare behind Matias and Joao would cause them serious problems. 

We we have to be solid yes and I believe a base behind them will be even with O’Grady in the side but we can’t concentrate on stopping them we have to make them stop us. Clare over an unfit Boyd anyway.. Boyd from the bench.

Guest Copthorneowl
49 minutes ago, Twaddle said:

(front two swapping l and r during game)

Joao             Matias

Nuhiu

Reach    Wallace     Palmer     Boyd

Pudil    Venancio   O’G/ Hunt

Wildsmith

Subs  Dawson  Rhodes  Fox  Clare  O’G/Hunt  Jones   Pelupessy

Decent line up mate .....but would replace Jones for Palmer since non of the others are holding midfielders and would want Hunt bombing down the right flank.  !!! That would be an interesting team methinks with good bench options.g

Hope Clare can get some game time a pal of mine watches him every week home and away at Gillingham they love him.

Edited by Copthorneowl

Guest Copthorneowl
27 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Clare although would have to defend is not there for that part of the game. I believe the front 3 of Clare behind Matias and Joao would cause them serious problems. 

We we have to be solid yes and I believe a base behind them will be even with O’Grady in the side but we can’t concentrate on stopping them we have to make them stop us. Clare over an unfit Boyd anyway.. Boyd from the bench.

Thing is Dutch I believe we have some quality issues at the back but more options and personnel for midfield I certainly think Clare could replace Fox and we would gain I think he'd eat left wing back with Reach covering however I do agree we need them to worry about us rather than the opposite.

All opinions nobody is 100% right or wrong. 

3 hours ago, oldishowl said:

I have never seen Clare play and I would suggest a lot of the people picking him on here haven’t either.

Fox is far from perfect but he played in a clean sheet at the sty.

He is reasonably tall and competitive in the air .

I know Clare is tall, is he good in the air. Is he going to be competitive when we are trying to defend their numerous set pieces?

Obviously I don’t know what the answer is to this.

Butting in...

Fox has a frightening habit of drifting inside when we're defending... surprised nobody's noticed...he needs to keep the shape and deny a right winger that space.

Apart from that he gets a lot of hammer from some but he needs confidence/coaching but we'll see.

FFS.

18 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Butting in...

Fox has a frightening habit of drifting inside when we're defending... surprised nobody's noticed...he needs to keep the shape and deny a right winger that space.

Apart from that he gets a lot of hammer from some but he needs confidence/coaching but we'll see.

FFS.

Both our  full backs do this. Palmer is probably the worst.

It is the way teams tend to defend now.

A pass out wide is supposedly less danger than one inside the full back.

However you have to be aware of the wide players. Sometimes ours appear to forget they are there.