Three at the back

28 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Reach played quite often for us at full back last year, where you need to head and tackle a lot more. I think wing back would be his best position as his main attributes are stamina, tidy in possession and crossing. When he plays in defence he looks a little weak defensively, but on the left wing he doesn't beat a man often enough or look like much of an attacking threat.

The game that made it abundantly clear to me Reach isnt and never will be a full back was Wolves away last season. He was horrendous. He hasn't got the attributes or the heart to be a full back. 

I like Reach as a player but he is one of those players, where do you actually play him? He is a good footballer but there seems to be no position he excels at.

55 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

I know people will disagree with me but I honestly think we've seen the best of Forestieri and not sure his heart is in it.  I could be wrong and he could smash it for us next season.

Whilst Bannan is effective, he is a bit one dimensional for me.

Our performances, especially in the play offs were a bit stale and we were easy to play against. Think we need a change. Defo need more pace and creativity from midfield.

Picking up £10m for Forestieri and £4-5m for Bannan and buying 3 or 4 quality players to add physical presence and pace would help us improve next season.

Well I'm with you on what's needed to improve us but if we need to sell before we can buy, and I don't believe that's the case, there are players a lot less efective than Bannan and Forestieri, who we could get rid of first

23 hours ago, Brad_owl said:

The game that made it abundantly clear to me Reach isnt and never will be a full back was Wolves away last season. He was horrendous. He hasn't got the attributes or the heart to be a full back. 

I like Reach as a player but he is one of those players, where do you actually play him? He is a good footballer but there seems to be no position he excels at.

I lke Reach because I think he is a good, intelligent footballer.

Trouble was, Carlos thought the same and decided he could play anywhere and run all day.

I think overall he played 5 or 6 different positions for us. Left wing, Full back, Right wing, Centre mid , up front and , especially in Lee's absence he was the one asked to make the forward runs. 

We ruined his confidence and before the end of the season he was knackered.

His best performances have been as a wing back when he was at Preston. He is an hardworking left midfield player who will run all day and a great team player .

He ain't a fast winger who will create loads of chances can do a very good job for the team. You need balance tho, so a fast threatening winger on the other side 

I like the idea of 3 at the back but it would be a case of either Lee or Bannan with a screening CM rather than Lee and Bannan. To make it work the crucial roles would be the wide full backs for the width and the holding midfielder for the screening protection.

Westwood

Lees - Hutch/Loovens - New/Pudil

Hunt  -  Jones/Lee  -  Bannan  -  Reach

Abdi/Forestieri/Hooper

Fletcher - Rhodes

> Loovens is too slow to play the wider position in a back 3, so we probably need to go shopping. We need cover as well, so probably 2 new center backs.

> Jones and Bannan could actually work well as deeper sitting, screening midfielders who break up play. With a 343 you don't really need a Hutch style ball winner in that midfield, you have numbers back and you want players blocking passed, screening players, pressuring to force mistakes and picking up loose balls. Bannan and Jones are a lot better at that than diving in to win the ball a la Hutch. Lee is a standout for us over the last couple of seasons, but.. does he fit in this team? The defensive two tend to be quite disciplined in this setup and a massive part of Lee's game is committing forwards, running channels and going beyond the forwards. Would he suffer in this role? Is he maybe more suited o being the player in the hole? But there he'd have some serious competition for his place.

> The front two should really be Fletch and Rhodes. Rhodes because we know he's a goal machine at this level when he gets service and Fletch because if you want a foil for another striker then Fletch is a great one, plus he scored more per minute than anyone else we have by a distance last season.

> Reach and Hunt are probably more suited to this, tho there's still a bit question over Jack Hunts delivery for me. Yes he hit 1-2 quality crosses in the 2nd half of the season, but we need consistantly threatening balls coming from wide. Remains to be seen if he can delivery *smirk* that. Both he and Reach have the workrate to do this wide job that, and I think Fox and Palmer might well do too. They both seem to be decent crossers to boot.

> The big problem is the 'star' of the team. We have 4 guys who all want to be that key link between the midfield and attack.

Forestieri can play left in a 442, but here he's forced to be part of the attacking 3 and he's not good enough as a striker to warrant a place there.

Abdi seems like the perfect guy here.. he uses the ball well, can shoot from distance and is an intelligent player, so could link up really well with the quality ahead of him as well as the likes of Bannan who is another technician on the ball.

Hooper is another who can play more of a linking role, but it maybe a bit too far behind the other when it comes to the defensive side of things. He should probably be competition for the front too, just like Winnall.

Recruitment wise we'd need 2 new centerbacks, one preferably being a quick left sided player. Then just looking to upgrade, probably defensive mid and right back.

17 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Westwood

Lees - Hutch/Loovens - New/Pudil

Hunt  -  Jones/Lee  -  Bannan  -  Reach

Abdi/Forestieri/Hooper

Fletcher - Rhodes

> Loovens is too slow to play the wider position in a back 3, so we probably need to go shopping. We need cover as well, so probably 2 new center backs.

> Jones and Bannan could actually work well as deeper sitting, screening midfielders who break up play. With a 343 you don't really need a Hutch style ball winner in that midfield, you have numbers back and you want players blocking passed, screening players, pressuring to force mistakes and picking up loose balls. Bannan and Jones are a lot better at that than diving in to win the ball a la Hutch. Lee is a standout for us over the last couple of seasons, but.. does he fit in this team? The defensive two tend to be quite disciplined in this setup and a massive part of Lee's game is committing forwards, running channels and going beyond the forwards. Would he suffer in this role? Is he maybe more suited o being the player in the hole? But there he'd have some serious competition for his place.

> The front two should really be Fletch and Rhodes. Rhodes because we know he's a goal machine at this level when he gets service and Fletch because if you want a foil for another striker then Fletch is a great one, plus he scored more per minute than anyone else we have by a distance last season.

> Reach and Hunt are probably more suited to this, tho there's still a bit question over Jack Hunts delivery for me. Yes he hit 1-2 quality crosses in the 2nd half of the season, but we need consistantly threatening balls coming from wide. Remains to be seen if he can delivery *smirk* that. Both he and Reach have the workrate to do this wide job that, and I think Fox and Palmer might well do too. They both seem to be decent crossers to boot.

> The big problem is the 'star' of the team. We have 4 guys who all want to be that key link between the midfield and attack.

Forestieri can play left in a 442, but here he's forced to be part of the attacking 3 and he's not good enough as a striker to warrant a place there.

Abdi seems like the perfect guy here.. he uses the ball well, can shoot from distance and is an intelligent player, so could link up really well with the quality ahead of him as well as the likes of Bannan who is another technician on the ball.

Hooper is another who can play more of a linking role, but it maybe a bit too far behind the other when it comes to the defensive side of things. He should probably be competition for the front too, just like Winnall.

Recruitment wise we'd need 2 new centerbacks, one preferably being a quick left sided player. Then just looking to upgrade, probably defensive mid and right back.

Excellent analysis.  Can't argue with a word of it.