The Bad Injuries Myth

2 hours ago, bigdan2003 said:

Losing Lee, Lees, Hutch, Hooper and Forestieri for varying lengths of time, and at the same time, has affected us. It's quite clear to see. 

We do have lots of players with quality who you'd expect to fill in....but for whatever reason it's just not happened. Lots of debates going on about that. 

But to try and say that our injury problem is all a myth, is a bit disingenuous. I mean look at Abdi - brought into the squad, starts to look something like the quality we expect, and then bang....out for the season. 

Agree with this 100%

1 hour ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Hooper wasn't an automatic starter in the few months before his injury. God knows why anyone thinks he would be now we've added Rhodes and Winnall.

We are not  talking about now though are we

We are talking about the 6 months of the season which happened before they arrived. The 6 months when he was fit for two of them

And he was picked when fit before his injury. The game he got injured in he started up front with FF with Fletcher on the bench 

Edited by oldishowl

9 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

The last few matches we have been unlucky with injuries.  Particularly away at Aston Villa.

However, it is a complete myth that we have had bad luck with injuries this season.

First choice Goalkeeper is Westwood - he has played 37 out of 39 matches.

His first choice right back is Hunt who has been fit for nearly every match - only missing out when he has rotated with Palmer who has also been constantly fit.

He has had Pudil and then Fox fit for most of the season.  There was a few matches when he was forced to play Reach at left back but the majority of times he did this was down to choice not necessity. Emanuelson appears to have not been injured for the majority of it.

Hutchinson has played 32 matches which i would argue is actually very lucky based on his history.

Lees has started 29 league matches out of 39.  Loovens has started 28.  Some of the matches he missed was due to selection not being injured and again we knew he would pick up a few injuries.  Sasso has been fit all season.

As well as the good luck with Hutch,  Bannan has been fit all season.  Lee is a miss but still played for 23 out of our 39 matches.  Jones has been fit all season.  Abdi has had a couple of spells out but played 16 out of 39 matches and missed out on many others through selection not injury.  McGugan has apparently not been injured this season.

Reach has been fit all season. Wallace has played in 37 of 39 matches.  McManaman has usually been fit.  Buckley missed 8 weeks with a dislocated shoulder.  Matias has been unfit for most of the season.

We have had seven strikers in our squad this season.  Fletcher, Joao, Nuhiu, Rhodes and Winnall have hardly missed anytime at all between them through injury.  Forestieri has been fit for 34 of our matches (1 of the 8 he missed was Norwich when he wasn't 'mentally fit' and 3 through suspension). Hooper has been fit enough to play in 17 of our 39 matches.

Every single team gets injuries, every single team gets long term injuries.

Where is this terrible luck we have had with injuries?

It seems more like to me we went in a centre half light and reliant on Hutch (who was supposed to be playing centre half this season) to be our midfield enforcer.  Who would've predicted it?

But where is this bad luck Carlos?

To suggest Abdi has not been affected by injury is quite frankly ridiculous.

Hooper, last game November

Lee, January

Lees (prior to his recent comeback) January

Matias (all season bar Sub app on Sat)

Loovens has been in and out all season and has been playing with a knock for most of it.

Westwood has also been carrying an injury most of the season.

Fletcher took quite a heavy knock to his head in 1st game, he's not been reyt since, can hardly blame him looking at that gash.

Buckley got injured just as he'd got his fitness, could also argue we had a clutch of injuries to midfielders at the same period, same with the strikers, we even had to play Nuhiu at times 

9 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Unlucky but not unheard of. Most fans thought we needed an extra centre-back in the summer. 

Villa have half a squad out injured, have lost the striker they opted for instead of Rhodes in January to injury and have been much better recently. Gayle has been out injured for spells this season at Newcastle, Brighton have lost 2 centre-backs. 

Most teams will have had major players out injured for significant spells, most teams haven't got a squad as big as ours.

How many on here pre-season were calling for Hutch at the back? 

So Hutch, Lees, Loovens, Sasso. Considering Lees' attendance prior to this season, then that's 3 for one position.

3 hours ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

To suggest Abdi has not been affected by injury is quite frankly ridiculous.

I didn't lol.

I said Abdi has had a couple of spells out.

Hooper, last game November

Yep I said he'd been injured too.

Lee, January

Yep I said Lee had missed 16 matches

Lees (prior to his recent comeback) January

Yep I said Lees had missed 10 matches

Matias (all season bar Sub app on Sat)

Are you just trying to quote me exactly in different words? I said that too.

Loovens has been in and out all season and has been playing with a knock for most of it.

He hasn't been in and out. First I've heard of this knock.

Westwood has also been carrying an injury most of the season.

First I've heard of it and it's certainly not affected his form.

Fletcher took quite a heavy knock to his head in 1st game, he's not been reyt since, can hardly blame him looking at that gash.

Seriously?

fletchers only missed a couple of matches.

Desperate stuff.

Buckley got injured just as he'd got his fitness,

Do you really think he'd have dropped Wallace? He's had McManaman for most of his time out.

could also argue we had a clutch of injuries to midfielders at the same period, same with the strikers, we even had to play Nuhiu at times 

Jesus.

Joao fit all season.

Forestieri hardly missed any matches all season.

Neither has Fletcher.

Hes then had Winnall and Rhodes who have missed no matches.

Quoting every injury Wednesday have had this season does not represent bad luck with injuries.

Every club has injuries every season.

For last season you could easily say:-

Westwood kept picking up knocks.

Loovens kept picking up knocks.

Lees had a couple of months out

Bennett got injured

Hutchinson missed half the season.

Matias missed most of it.

Melo missed most of the season.

Lopez picked up some knocks

Hirst and Jonk still sidelined.

When you list every significant injury it always looks bad. We've just had normal luck, not good certainly not bad. He's had the squad and money to cope. 21 other managers in this league would dream of his scenario.

Wallace,lee,FF,hutch and to a lesser extent abdi have been big misses during the bad spell, to lose so many of  our midfield  is bound to affect the team ........however injuries are part of football and carlos shouldn't be banging in on about it ......wilko's saying of "one mans misfortune is another mans opportunity " still stands 30 years on and is the way carlos should be playing it .

With Hooper out so long, Fletcher never quite getting going, FF not wanting to play for us and maybe being a winger anyway, Joao and nuiui not being good enough and Rhodes and pinball only been here 2 months we've never had a settled front line. That's a mixture of bad luck and bad planning

The midfield has had long term injuries to Lee, Abdi, Maria's and Buckley. Bannan has played the last 3 months with a knock. Hutch always plays with a knock. And now Wallace is out too. That is certainly bad luck.

In defence we only have 3 proper centre backs, one if which is very injury prone in Loovens and the other 2 havnt played a full season before ever. That's bad planning.

There's never been any consistency with selection. Whether that be bad luck, bad planning or just a bad rotation system doesn't matter. Whatever the reason its happened, it has turned the season into a scrap for the last playoff spot rather then a comfortable season being in the playoffs like Huddersfield have had

1 hour ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

I didn't lol.

I said Abdi has had a couple of spells out.

Yep I said he'd been injured too.

Yep I said Lee had missed 16 matches

Yep I said Lees had missed 10 matches

Are you just trying to quote me exactly in different words? I said that too.

He hasn't been in and out. First I've heard of this knock.

First I've heard of it and it's certainly not affected his form.

Seriously?

fletchers only missed a couple of matches.

Desperate stuff.

Do you really think he'd have dropped Wallace? He's had McManaman for most of his time out.

Jesus.

Joao fit all season.

Forestieri hardly missed any matches all season.

Neither has Fletcher.

Hes then had Winnall and Rhodes who have missed no matches.

Quoting every injury Wednesday have had this season does not represent bad luck with injuries.

Every club has injuries every season.

For last season you could easily say:-

Westwood kept picking up knocks.

Loovens kept picking up knocks.

Lees had a couple of months out

Bennett got injured

Hutchinson missed half the season.

Matias missed most of it.

Melo missed most of the season.

Lopez picked up some knocks

Hirst and Jonk still sidelined.

When you list every significant injury it always looks bad. We've just had normal luck, not good certainly not bad. He's had the squad and money to cope. 21 other managers in this league would dream of his scenario.

Your post came across as a dig at Carlos and your thread title is "Bad injuries myth".  It is quite clearly not a myth as we've lost key players for lengthy spells. 

Forestieri wasn't right for some time, not injured physically but some players work different ways. Ok his own doing but it took leaping into the crowd to alter some folks thinking about him

Maybe I did list similar to you but you listed em in a nonchalant way but in reality the injuries have fecked our season. Wild stab in the dark but would you be a member of the Carlos out mob? :columbo:

p.s. The Hirst and Jonk thing is pathetic btw

17 hours ago, Lee A said:

Lee and Hooper are a big miss it has to be said,

But are they a 1 win in 7 games, struggling for shots on target kind of miss? Especially when one of them has been compensated for by the signings of Rhodes and Winnall?

It hurts teams to lose players, but we haven't lost enough players to use it as an excuse for the current performances imo, not even close.

Were a totally different side without Lee, his movements,intelligent processing of what's going on around him and he's the engine both in attack and defence, he adds drive and forward momentum for us. That was one of the biggest problems we've had and easy to note how bad our performances have been since he's been out. Apart from Lees the others we could compensate for but KL we've missed. Way more than anyone. 

20 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

The last few matches we have been unlucky with injuries.  Particularly away at Aston Villa.

However, it is a complete myth that we have had bad luck with injuries this season.

His first choice right back is Hunt who has been fit for nearly every match - only missing out when he has rotated with Palmer who has also been constantly fit.

He has had Pudil and then Fox fit for most of the season.  There was a few matches when he was forced to play Reach at left back but the majority of times he did this was down to choice not necessity. Emanuelson appears to have not been injured for the majority of it.

Hutchinson has played 32 matches which i would argue is actually very lucky based on his history.

Lees has started 29 league matches out of 39.  Loovens has started 28.  Some of the matches he missed was due to selection not being injured and again we knew he would pick up a few injuries.  Sasso has been fit all season.

As well as the good luck with Hutch,  Bannan has been fit all season.  Lee is a miss but still played for 23 out of our 39 matches.  Jones has been fit all season.  Abdi has had a couple of spells out but played 16 out of 39 matches and missed out on many others through selection not injury.  McGugan has apparently not been injured this season.

Reach has been fit all season. Wallace has played in 37 of 39 matches.  McManaman has usually been fit.  Buckley missed 8 weeks with a dislocated shoulder.  Matias has been unfit for most of the season.

We have had seven strikers in our squad this season.  Fletcher, Joao, Nuhiu, Rhodes and Winnall have hardly missed anytime at all between them through injury.  Forestieri has been fit for 34 of our matches (1 of the 8 he missed was Norwich when he wasn't 'mentally fit' and 3 through suspension). Hooper has been fit enough to play in 17 of our 39 matches.

It seems more like to me we went in a centre half light and reliant on Hutch (who was supposed to be playing centre half this season) to be our midfield enforcer.  Who would've predicted it?

Bore off

Just now, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

its the excuses that are boring

If you can understand that injuries to key players have stifled us this season then you're a wally. 

You're just trying to substantiate your own agenda against the gaffer. Its embarrassing

6 minutes ago, ramone said:

If you can understand that injuries to key players have stifled us this season then you're a wally. 

You're just trying to substantiate your own agenda against the gaffer. Its embarrassing

As if anybody has an agenda on Owlstalk!  Of course injuries have stifled us,just like the other 23 teams!!!!

"but we were no better with Lee in the team".

"yes but if he'd stayed fit we'd have miles more points"

lol

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

13 hours ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

How many on here pre-season were calling for Hutch at the back? 

So Hutch, Lees, Loovens, Sasso. Considering Lees' attendance prior to this season, then that's 3 for one position.

It doesn't matter how many were calling for Hutch at the back, when all are fit the coach picks Hutch in midfield. The injury record of Hutch & Loovens suggests they are always likely to miss a fair few games a season and just because Lees has been in good form and relatively injury free for a good while it doesn't mean you shouldn't cover his position.

17 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It doesn't matter how many were calling for Hutch at the back, when all are fit the coach picks Hutch in midfield. The injury record of Hutch & Loovens suggests they are always likely to miss a fair few games a season and just because Lees has been in good form and relatively injury free for a good while it doesn't mean you shouldn't cover his position.

That's not correct. Hutch started the season at the back, nowt to do with injuries. He was only moved forward because he was missed in the middle. 

As you said Loovens/ Hutch was one side and Sasso was cover for Lees.

We tried for several central defenders but were outbid, Newcastle seemed to be hoovering up every spare player going

Edited by Big Ron's Sovereign

Guest Deleted member
22 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Hooper might be in your backbone, I doubt he was in CC's.

Ir do you think he gave Fletcher £40K per week and told Chansiri he planned to play him off the bench?

And now we have Rhodes and Winnall.

We bought Winnall because Hooper was injured

Guest Deleted member
On 03/04/2017 at 17:03, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

LOOK - I JUST DON'T LIKE CARLOS OK??

You could have saved a lot of time just by typing that last bit