The Bad Injuries Myth

8 minutes ago, BIG D said:

It's a complete load of pony. 

By his own stats Lees and Loovens have missed a quarter of the season and Lee has missed almost half. Take Saturday for example when Sam went off then the midfield was missing FF, Wallace, Sam and Lee. Hooper has been out for 4 months. All 100% guaranteed starters when fit.

Find another reason to beat Carlos with. 

But you are missing the point totally.

Every team has had key players out.

Every team will have had a few matches when they had numerous players out.

You can never claim Hutch being injured is unlucky - he's played far more matches than could be expected.

Wallace has only missed two matches all season. Forestieri hardly any.

Saying Hooper is a 100% guaranteed starter is surely the joke. Instead of who?

4 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

But every club gets injuries.

He still had Forestieri, Fletcher, Nuhiu and Joao.

Then signed Winnall and Rhodes. Every other manager barring Benitez and Bruce would be calling that extremely lucky - not unlucky.

But it's about the role and the importance to how we play. Hooper and Lee in particular form part of the backbone that is key to how we play. 

Be interested to know how many injuries to key first team players the likes of Huddersfield have had this season.

3 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

But you are missing the point totally.

Every team has had key players out.

Every team will have had a few matches when they had numerous players out.

You can never claim Hutch being injured is unlucky - he's played far more matches than could be expected.

Wallace has only missed two matches all season. Forestieri hardly any.

Saying Hooper is a 100% guaranteed starter is surely the joke. Instead of who?

He'd be playing instead of Winnall. Not that difficult mate. He's a guaranteed starter. 

1 minute ago, bigdan2003 said:

But it's about the role and the importance to how we play. Hooper and Lee in particular form part of the backbone that is key to how we play. 

Be interested to know how many injuries to key first team players the likes of Huddersfield have had this season.

Hooper might be in your backbone, I doubt he was in CC's.

Ir do you think he gave Fletcher £40K per week and told Chansiri he planned to play him off the bench?

And now we have Rhodes and Winnall.

15 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Do you watch Wednesday 

lol

Most matches.

Ive seen him start Forestieri on the left in about 10 of his 85 league matches in charge. And probably only a few times away from home.

Is this the guaranteed line up you are referring to or am I missing something?

p.s. I've also seen him start Nuhiu, Joao and Fletcher in preference to Hooper.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

4 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Reyt

Good answer.

Hooper is a GUARANTEED starter but you don't know where.

You're  like Parlour and Brazil the other day. Decide on their best England line up, talk about how strong it looks for 10 minutes before it's pointed out to them it has 12 players in it.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

The only injury we have had where I sympathise with Carlos is Kieren Lee. Hes been a huge miss. Lee is a unique player. Quick, intelligent, can go forward and loves a tackle. Hes rare and very hard to replace.

Hooper is a loss. But we should have more than enough to compensate with the arsenal of strikers we have

I think a combination of factors have meant we have never been at our best this season.

I think we started with a massive hangover from the play off defeat, this was compounded by FF refusing to travel, I think this had a huge effect, the players have seemed to lack confidence all season compared to last.

It's a vicious circle, we lose confidence and can't get a good run of performances, partly due to CC tactics and negativity, this season and we seem to have lost what made us good last season, the constant pressing, the one touch and great movement have gone and we cannot break teams down. 

The injuries have made it worse no doubt. Lee is integral to our pressing game and hasn't been fit all season even when he always playing, I believe Bannan has been carrying an injury too. Losing Lees for such a long time was another huge blow. Abdi seems to have not been fit all season and Hooper being injured means we are even more short of goals (although given our other strikers struggling to score he may not have done either, who knows). If hooper was fit and scoring we would not have bought Winnall or Rhodes or just one of them.

Every team has injuries but I think we have been unlucky this season, especially compared to last season.

If anybody doesn't think our results would not have been better with a fit Lee for every match like he was last season, a fit Lees and a fit Hooper for every game before we signed Rhodes then I give up.

Equally if people don't understand how important those players are to us, to some extent because of poor recruitment of alternatives , then they are also struggling to understand how our  team functions.

3 minutes ago, Carl Shutt is God said:

I think a combination of factors have meant we have never been at our best this season.

I think we started with a massive hangover from the play off defeat, this was compounded by FF refusing to travel, I think this had a huge effect, the players have seemed to lack confidence all season compared to last.

It's a vicious circle, we lose confidence and can't get a good run of performances, partly due to CC tactics and negativity, this season and we seem to have lost what made us good last season, the constant pressing, the one touch and great movement have gone and we cannot break teams down. 

The injuries have made it worse no doubt. Lee is integral to our pressing game and hasn't been fit all season even when he always playing, I believe Bannan has been carrying an injury too. Losing Lees for such a long time was another huge blow. Abdi seems to have not been fit all season and Hooper being injured means we are even more short of goals (although given our other strikers struggling to score he may not have done either, who knows). If hooper was fit and scoring we would not have bought Winnall or Rhodes or just one of them.

Every team has injuries but I think we have been unlucky this season, especially compared to last season.

I agree with you

What this season has shown is that the difference between success and winning football matches or just falling short, especially in this league is very fine margins 

You need things to go for you like they generally did for us last season , then momentum and belief grows amongst manager players and fans and anything is possible.

This season every time we have threatened to get some momentum then an injury, silly mistake , bad team selection or sub or a poor decision have stopped it.

Then negativity takes over everybody 

2 hours ago, Lee A said:

Lee and Hooper are a big miss it has to be said,

But are they a 1 win in 7 games, struggling for shots on target kind of miss? Especially when one of them has been compensated for by the signings of Rhodes and Winnall?

It hurts teams to lose players, but we haven't lost enough players to use it as an excuse for the current performances imo, not even close.

Hooper has done very little since about three quarters of the way though last season when CC switched the players around.

Goals just dried up.

Granted he has been injured but he has been a major victim of CC's tactics and selection.

7 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Hooper has done very little since about three quarters of the way though last season when CC switched the players around.

Goals just dried up.

Granted he has been injured but he has been a major victim of CC's tactics and selection.

5 in 18 this season including 4 in his last 10.

1 minute ago, BIG D said:

5 in 18 this season including 4 in his last 10.

How does that compare with Wood, Gayle and Murray? (from a ratio perspective, accounting for injury).

The answer will say a lot about the way Hooper has been played this season, the level of support (lack of) he has had and the general tactics employed for our strikers.