What's the Difference....

Tonight's game was a decent advert for Championship football and a decent advert for Sheffield Wednesday. Watching the Wigan game with my Australian (non-football fan) mate was embarrassing. A performance like that tonight wouldn't have earned us a point.

3 minutes ago, hk_owl said:

Tonight's game was a decent advert for Championship football and a decent advert for Sheffield Wednesday. Watching the Wigan game with my Australian (non-football fan) mate was embarrassing. A performance like that tonight wouldn't have earned us a point.

But our performance tonight might not have got us 3 points away at Wigan.

We were very open tonight.

Just now, hk_owl said:

Good points.

Tonight was entertaining; last week wasn't. Brum were better than Wigan IMO.

15 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Markowl, you are making yourself look stupid .

We didn't win ugly tonight, simple as that.

More positivity , getting the ball forward, creating chances, resulting in 3 goals.

Birmingham had a couple of good spells which we managed to cope with.

I really haven't got a clue what you were watching.

No he isn't, you are seeing a 3-0 scoreline and not actually seeing the rest of the game.

We scored 2 late goals tonight, the same could have happened at Wigan but we shut the back door instead of trying to win 3-0.

1 minute ago, Dagmeister said:

Possibly but by the same token we might not have got three points tonight if we'd played like we did against Wigan.

Now that's just weird, we won both games with different game plans against different opposition, we were never going to play the same way tonight.

Credit to CC for both results, regardless of performances or scoreline.

1 minute ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Now that's just weird, we won both games with different game plans against different opposition, we were never going to play the same way tonight.

Credit to CC for both results, regardless of performances or scoreline.

Agree to disagree. Thought we were better tonight. Enjoyable to watch. Improved our goal difference too.

Just now, Dagmeister said:

Agree to disagree. Thought we were better tonight. Enjoyable to watch. Improved our goal difference too.

The 2 late goals have taken over.

Against Wigan we took a striker off and put an extra man in midfield, that was to see the game out. 

Its called game management.

Both games were equally professional SWFC performances, just different, if you don't understand football you look at goals scored.

2 minutes ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

The 2 late goals have taken over.

Against Wigan we took a striker off and put an extra man in midfield, that was to see the game out. 

Its called game management.

Both games were equally professional SWFC performances, just different, if you don't understand football you look at goals scored.

Nope I thought we were better all night. Birmingham were better than Wigan IMO and made it hard. 

Clearly by by your patronising last line you feel you have superior insight but like I say; agree to differ.

I suspect that we'll be more entertaining and score more goals going forward and will cruise into the play offs in 3rd or 4th place. Time will tell. 

Nope I thought we were better all night. Birmingham were better than Wigan IMO and made it hard. 

Clearly by by your patronising last line you feel you have superior insight but like I say; agree to differ.

I suspect that we'll be more entertaining and score more goals going forward and will cruise into the play offs in 3rd or 4th place. Time will tell. 

There's no way we were 'better all night'.

We deserved to win, but for at least 45 minutes we were on the back foot and they hit the woodwork 3 times.

1 hour ago, markowl said:

Between winning ugly last Friday and winning ugly tonight?

Can't see much moaning, yet for large parts we didn't play well tonight.

We created about 20 times more chances. 

Course we played well.

It just wasn't possession style, more counter attack.

Ok, lets talk about the differences in Birmingham and Wigan.

Zola brought in to play good football and SWFC at home = 3-0 more open performance.

The away game at Wigan was always going to be the harder game, look at the table.

2 minutes ago, markowl said:

There's no way we were 'better all night'.

We deserved to win, but for at least 45 minutes we were on the back foot and they hit the woodwork 3 times.

Birmingham were better than Wigan. In my opinion it was this rather than our failings. 

Despite that tonight was good to watch. Same 3 points but entertaining too and a boost to our goal difference. Good to see.

31 minutes ago, markowl said:

1. No need for the personal insult.

2. We were second best for at least 45 minutes.

As always 3 goals blinds some people from what actually happened.

Which was the point of this thread.

I apologise if that came across as an insult.

Anyway

1) 3 goals hasn't blinded anybody. We quite clearly were more positive, got the ball forward quicker and created more chances than against Wigan.

2) People were not moaning about being second best last week. The moans were about how poor and negative our play was. This game was different.

2 minutes ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Ok, lets talk about the differences in Birmingham and Wigan.

Zola brought in to play good football and SWFC at home = 3-0 more open performance.

The away game at Wigan was always going to be the harder game, look at the table.

Brum on the back of a good performance against Fulham and a first win in ages. They looked better than Wigan based on the two games. 

Anyway perhaps best to see if we continue in tonight's vein going forward. I hope we do.