Young lad in net.

He commands the area and is vocal to the defence. A very good organiser, great shot stopper and good kicker.

If he keeps his feet on the ground he will go to the top, hopefully with us.

Said it before he is a future England no1 and while Westwood still got his niggles we are in very safe hands so don't need to rush Westwood back.

And at the moment if Westwood became fit it would be a pity for Wildsmith to lose the Jersey, he's earned the chance and is serious competition for Westwood.

Guest timrud

We are now in a position where if Westwood doesn't play, there is no drop in quality. Once Westwood's contract is up I think it will be the right time for the young lad

I think there are some in this thread getting a little carried away (it does read a little bit like a Pigsmad thread on George Long from about 18 months ago).

Now don't get me wrong, Wildsmith has shown plenty of promising early signs - so I am not being critical of him. But he has come into a team doing pretty well, where the amount of work he has to do is often limited due to those in front of him. That's not a criticism, but think of some of the games where Westwood came to the rescue time and again last season.

It would appear that Wildsmith has a very good temperament, similar to many top keepers (Joe Hart being the most obvious comparison). His shot stopping has so far been shown to be very good.

I would suggest that the areas that need further improvement for him to show true England potential (as many are mentioning) are:

1. Distribution when under pressure (his kicking is fine when he has time, but with some back passes when under a bit of pressure the quality in terms accuracy in kicking diminishes).

2. Dealing with crosses (not seen him take too many crosses as yet, seems to leave to defenders to deal with - more willingness to take control of these situations will hopefully come with experience/confidence). Compare that to Kevin Pressman (who was also an England Under 21 goalkeeper) in his early twenties, he would not just come for crosses in the six yards box, but often around the penalty spot.

3. I'm still not sure how agile Wildsmith is. He has a big frame, which means he can be a big presence. Has made good saves to his side, I'm thinking more of the agility of tipping a shot over the bar (so for example, when Birmingham headed against the bar in the second half he looked a little flat footed).

I am being ultra picky, but only because of the some very optimistic statements being made (I'm trying to provide a bit of a reality check). Joe has a very positive future ahead of him, but needs time and managing in the right way, to ensure he develops all aspects of his game in order to fulfill the potential that he clearly has.

Where we can all agree is that we wish him all the best in his development, and hope that his future career success is with Wednesday at a time when the club is also on the up.

I think there are some in this thread getting a little carried away (it does read a little bit like a Pigsmad thread on George Long from about 18 months ago).

Now don't get me wrong, Wildsmith has shown plenty of promising early signs - so I am not being critical of him. But he has come into a team doing pretty well, where the amount of work he has to do is often limited due to those in front of him. That's not a criticism, but think of some of the games where Westwood came to the rescue time and again last season.

It would appear that Wildsmith has a very good temperament, similar to many top keepers (Joe Hart being the most obvious comparison). His shot stopping has so far been shown to be very good.

I would suggest that the areas that need further improvement for him to show true England potential (as many are mentioning) are:

1. Distribution when under pressure (his kicking is fine when he has time, but with some back passes when under a bit of pressure the quality in terms accuracy in kicking diminishes).

2. Dealing with crosses (not seen him take too many crosses as yet, seems to leave to defenders to deal with - more willingness to take control of these situations will hopefully come with experience/confidence). Compare that to Kevin Pressman (who was also an England Under 21 goalkeeper) in his early twenties, he would not just come for crosses in the six yards box, but often around the penalty spot.

3. I'm still not sure how agile Wildsmith is. He has a big frame, which means he can be a big presence. Has made good saves to his side, I'm thinking more of the agility of tipping a shot over the bar (so for example, when Birmingham headed against the bar in the second half he looked a little flat footed).

I am being ultra picky, but only because of the some very optimistic statements being made (I'm trying to provide a bit of a reality check). Joe has a very positive future ahead of him, but needs time and managing in the right way, to ensure he develops all aspects of his game in order to fulfill the potential that he clearly has.

Where we can all agree is that we wish him all the best in his development, and hope that his future career success is with Wednesday at a time when the club is also on the up.

Your right to say let's not get carried away but he does look to have a big future. Your point 1 and 2 are more faults of Westwood tbf

I agree with most that he looks a great prospect but I remember similar threads about Mark Beevers and how he was going to be John terry replacement and worth £10m. Things can change very quickly in football.

The lad has been class so far though. Lets hope he keeps it up.