Happy 116th Birthday.

To the Old Lady, opened this day in 1899.  Her wardrobe may need updating and her make up could do with a bit of touching up but she'll always have our hearts.

She's where we all call home.

At five to three on a glorious autumn afternoon, the wave of expectation and excitement - there is no better place on earth.  Get your glad rags on old girl you'll soon be back where you belong.

Opening_zpsyvuirqyc.jpg

WedGround_zpsuxwa1vfh.jpg

April%201899a_zpsyhlccrpc.jpg

AUgust%201899a_zpsfrvr9tfm.jpg

august%201899b_zpsb2dac64k.jpg

August%201899c_zpsv4hgfre9.jpg

291899i_zpspcvjepab.jpg

2-9-1899a_zps6uwmgl43.jpg

1899b_zps9wuoyigz.jpg

1899c_zpssg9rerbq.jpg

1899d_zps6jqucoim.jpg

1899f_zpsfpjlxh0p.jpg

1899g_zpsrm6vlz2s.jpg

1899h_zps5zhb1jtv.jpg

1899i_zpsursrbyho.jpg

hills5_zpsd81b731c.jpg

Dunsby - when did Hillsborough start to be used as the name of our ground instead of Owlerton?

From what I remember it was called The Wednesday Ground at Owlerton - I have seen reference to two seperate suburbs of Owlerton & Hillsborough though difficult to defindenow.  Neither was in Sheffield in 1899 but incorporated into the City in 1901.  Off Wikipedia

Owlerton (grid reference SK338904) is a former hamlet now a district of Sheffield to the east of Hillsborough. The name derives from Alor-tun, which means a 'farmstead of the alders'. In the 18th century people came here in great numbers to take water from a holy well that had been discovered here. Owlerton Stadium is used for greyhound racing and speedway. Owlerton is also the location of the Hillsborough Stadium (not actually in Hillsborough on the strictest definition) where Sheffield Wednesday play their matches,

I assume people started calling the ground Owlerton because that where it was.   Hillsborough obviously became better known as a tram destination etc and a Parliamentary Constituency (though the Ground was in Brightside until last election!)

This clip is from September 1914 - so I assume it was about 1913/4 it became known as Hillsborough.

Owlerton%20-%20Sheffield_zps1glnrhnx.jpg

Happy to be corrected !

This clipping is from September 1914 so I assume it was around the 1913/4 seasons it became known as Hills