Go out with a bang

Last season after the Bournemouth game, the players were all counting down the minutes until the season ended and it showed in what was our pathetic form during our run in.

Yesterday had a distinct "pre season friendly" feel to it and I can't help but feel that our season is going to fizzle out in very much the same way that last season did. This however is more alarming as players are playing for contracts and the manager could well be playing for his job in front of the new owner.

For large spells yesterday it was BORING and ever since Chansiri showed up around Christmas time, we've been boring to watch at Hillsborough with the exception of the odd half of football.

There's no way that a business man who's just spent £37.5m on a club and is by his own admission not the biggest football fan, will he have enjoyed watching us play for the vast majority of his short ownership.

A finish to this season like last seasons and in my opinion Gray will be gone in the summer and if the truth be known, I'll not be too bothered either.

He's one game away from equalling the all time club record for clean sheets,

two from writing his name into the history books.

This is clearly on his mind when setting up his match day plan.

I bet he's broke a few goal scoring records at home. And not good records.

Last season after the Bournemouth game, the players were all counting down the minutes until the season ended and it showed in what was our pathetic form during our run in.

Yesterday had a distinct "pre season friendly" feel to it and I can't help but feel that our season is going to fizzle out in very much the same way that last season did. This however is more alarming as players are playing for contracts and the manager could well be playing for his job in front of the new owner.

For large spells yesterday it was BORING and ever since Chansiri showed up around Christmas time, we've been boring to watch at Hillsborough with the exception of the odd half of football.

There's no way that a business man who's just spent £37.5m on a club and is by his own admission not the biggest football fan, will he have enjoyed watching us play for the vast majority of his short ownership.

A finish to this season like last seasons and in my opinion Gray will be gone in the summer and if the truth be known, I'll not be too bothered either.

BORING is the one word to sum up this season especially at home. We set up to knick goals like an away side. i can't name one games this season when I've been thoroughly impressed.

Would people prefer entertaining and in the bottom 3?

No but then I don't think that's what people are saying, it certainly isn't what I'm saying.

My contribution to this thread was to say that since around Christmas time I've found Wednesday extremely boring to watch and considering that Mr Chansiri has admitted that he's not a massive football fan and has just spent £37.5m buying the club, it could spell curtains for Gray if we have an end of season run in like last season.

There's no way Mr Chansiri has enjoyed watching the displays served up since he showed up at the turn of the year.

Although I didn't mention it previously I also agree with what some others have said and that is that I don't believe Gray is the man to get us promoted to the Premiership either next season or the season after that.

We'll be steady under Gray and not go down and he's been the man to deliver that but if we want to kick on, I think a change at the top will be needed.

Our ambitions post takeover have far excelled not being in the bottom 3.

No but then I don't think that's what people are saying, it certainly isn't what I'm saying.

My contribution to this thread was to say that since around Christmas time I've found Wednesday extremely boring to watch and considering that Mr Chansiri has admitted that he's not a massive football fan and has just spent £37.5m buying the club, it could spell curtains for Gray if we have an end of season run in like last season.

There's no way Mr Chansiri has enjoyed watching the displays served up since he showed up at the turn of the year.

Although I didn't mention it previously I also agree with what some others have said and that is that I don't believe Gray is the man to get us promoted to the Premiership either next season or the season after that.

We'll be steady under Gray and not go down and he's been the man to deliver that but if we want to kick on, I think a change at the top will be needed.

Our ambitions post takeover have far excelled not being in the bottom 3.

We'll only really know if Gray can optimise the increased resouces as well as he has done on a relative shoestring once he has been given that opportunity. All else is guesswork.

That said I'll  join in the guessing game and say that (IMO) Gray will continue his good work next season and progress us in line with the increased budget.

Edited by Dagmeister

Let's not confuse a defensive mindset, with the ability of the players. We play 1 up front away, typically, which is the norm. At home yesterday we started we 2 up front, McGugam pushing on and an out and out winger in Isgrove. Gray isn't a defensive coach in my opinion, but has had his hands tied to a degree by the quality of attacking player at his disposal.

I get your point about playing a different formation away from home but I'd be willing to bet that like me, the vast majority of fans were baffled by Grays decision to play 1 up front at Rotherham, to go to the fourth worst side in the league with the idea of containing them, that to me was ridiculous and I thought Gray was quite fortunate to get out of that the way he did.

Surely we have the players to go to the fourth worst side in the division and attack them!?

There have also been quite a few other occasions where his tactics or team selections have puzzled me but this is the most glaring example.

Let's not confuse a defensive mindset, with the ability of the players. We play 1 up front away, typically, which is the norm. At home yesterday we started we 2 up front, McGugam pushing on and an out and out winger in Isgrove. Gray isn't a defensive coach in my opinion, but has had his hands tied to a degree by the quality of attacking player at his disposal.

We did play 2 upfront, but we didn't attack them. Too many times when Isgrove or Vermyl were in positions to put the ball in we had no-one in the box. You can have 11 strikers playing, but if they are instructed to stay near the half way line, you're never going to score too many.

In all fairness though, I did think that we went for it a bit more than we have in recent home games. Still not enough though.

All the people wanting rid of Gray are making the naive assumption we will get somebody who will do better.

Problem is that they don't come with guarantees.

Even if they have done it before like Holloway, Malky Mackay Rosler, dare i say Dave Jones still no guarantees.

Very easy to say sack the manager, very hard to get a succesful replacement

All Gray has done is steady the ship

When did mid table in the second division become good enough for Sheffield Wednesday?

Time to look forward and we need better, starting right at the top

When the purse strings were strangling our progress.

I'd expect to see Gray progressing us in line with the improved budget.

I like Gray and he's done a great job with limited resources but I'd be very surprised if the new owner is going to trust him with all the cash he us supposedly going to splash out.Its a harsh reality of football,but I'm sure they'll be looking at getting a "big name" in.