Sign a f@ckin striker

All you hear from some people is, why would they move, they're at a Premier League club, sky high wages blah blah blah. Yeah until they join one of our rivals that is. I produced a list of 20 strikers who either are available, or have moved for nothing, or on loan, to championship clubs this season. All could have done a job for us. The same people were saying similar stuff before we signed Wickham and Fryatt last season.

Thinking on, that figure is probably nearer thirty. There's no excuse why we shouldn't have been able to secure the type of striker we've needed, although plenty on here will try and find one

All you hear from some people is, why would they move, they're at a Premier League club, sky high wages blah blah blah. Yeah until they join one of our rivals that is. I produced a list of 20 strikers who either are available, or have moved for nothing, or on loan, to championship clubs this season. All could have done a job for us. The same people were saying similar stuff before we signed Wickham and Fryatt last season.

Lets see him many score 15/20 from your list

Thinking on, that figure is probably nearer thirty. There's no excuse why we shouldn't have been able to secure the type of striker we've needed, although plenty on here will try and find one

bring back the list and lets see how many tear it up

Guest Sheff Owl

Lets take Fryatt, how many has he scored? 20 goal striker wasn't he?

15 games started, 6 Sub - 5 goals - Fryatt (with all Forest's attacking players too)

22 games started, 8 Sub - 7 goals - Nuhiu

24 games started, 4 Sub - 5 Goals - May

Edited by Sheff Owl

Can't be arsed to do it all again, needless to say, all of them on it offered what we need, goals and/or experience

Without knowing which players, difficult to debate your point.

I'm struggling to think of any we could have signed under the mandaric era, that have gone on to smash the championship apart.

If the new owners were in early on in January, things could've been different.

I say this, having no idea what commitment the new owners have given on transfer budgets.

Guest wilyfox

Out of curiosity, which ones? I thought I was fairly reasonable with our chances on each

I disagree with your take on Sordell, Stanislas, Paterson, Hoilett & Gnabry.

Guest wilyfox

We chose gtf when we had no money to spend. Circumstances had been different, I doubt he'd have been brought in.

Oh right, and what would the explanation for Varney be?

I disagree with your take on Sordell, Stanislas, Paterson, Hoilett & Gnabry.

Interesting.

What makes you think Paterson would come now? Having rejected us twice?

Why would arsenal send Gnabry here to rehab?

Hoillett, hasn't he only played premier league and bundesliga?

Sordell getting game time in the premier league. I'm unconvinced Burnley will be sending him out.

Stanislas - another difficult one, but if your not playing football, do you sit it out in a championship chasing side, or ride out the season in a side with nowt to play for?

Thing with GTF, how could we have got it so wrong. It was obvious he was not what we needed, but we signed him anyway. Worse than that, Gray said he'd been tracking him for months, only to send him back after 3 or 4 games Bizarre

He's not going to say "we were desperate, he's all we could afford" is he?

Guest wilyfox

Has he signed him or come out and said he wants him?

Gray admitted Varney was in his thoughts when questioned by Radio Sheffield.

Interesting.

What makes you think Paterson would come now? Having rejected us twice?

Why would arsenal send Gnabry here to rehab?

Hoillett, hasn't he only played premier league and bundesliga?

Sordell getting game time in the premier league. I'm unconvinced Burnley will be sending him out.

Stanislas - another difficult one, but if your not playing football, do you sit it out in a championship chasing side, or ride out the season in a side with nowt to play for?

Forest rejected us, not Paterson. As I wrote in another post on this page, Forest are reportedly chasing Grealish & Powell; should either arrive, that might free up Paterson. They also need to cover the loss of Assombalonga, with their embargo only partially lifted - so they may have to let out to bring in.

Gnabry is now fit but needs games for sharpness. With Sanchez, Walcott & Chamberlain all very similar, do you think he'll get the necessary game time there this season? His season would be a write-off, when it needn't be.

Sordell has only started 2 league games for Burnley. He's also struggled to make their bench following Vokes' return from injury. He's 5th choice striker there at the moment.

Hoilett was in the champ with QPR last season. So to say he wouldn't drop down without a direct quote form the player himself, means nothing. His proposed move to Germany collapsed before the deadline. Chris Ramsey has dropped him from their matchday squads. He's rotting there; a loan here could get him going again, rather than sitting on his arse out of favour.

Why did Stanislas reject a new deal at Burnley last summer? Game time. What's he not getting at Bournemouth? Game time. 6 league starts won't satisfy a player motivated to play.

Edited by wilyfox

Guest Sheff Owl

Like i said not going anywhere currently..

New Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood has described Jack Grealish as one of the best young players in the Premier League and insists he will be given the chance to show his quality.

However, the former Tottenham Hotspur manager hailed the youngster’s potential and confirmed he has been given a clean slate after replacing the Scot.

“I know him from youth football. I haven’t seen him on the training field but I know he is a talented boy and potentially one of the best young talents,†Sherwood said.

“He’s in the first team squad at the moment so I am very excited to have a look at him and learn more about him.

“Everyone in the squad has got an important part to play. There won’t be anyone who is not included in my plans. It’s a fresh start for everyone. Whether the previous manager liked them or he didn’t, it doesn’t matter to me.â€

Guest wilyfox

They could still land Powell - or someone else. The fact they already have Antonio, Burke(s) and Paterson yet are still looking...ya never know. 3 league starts all season for Paterson, and he's in the same position under Freedman as he was with Pearce...the bench.

Circumstances change.

Guest Sheff Owl

Chris Wood said he has no regrets about turning down the chance to move away from Leicester City in search of regular first-team football.

City did hold talks with Wolves but, once Wood indicated it was of no interest to him, Leicester pulled out of the negotiations.

“I think I made the right decision in staying because I knew in my heart I wanted to stay and fight,†said Wood, who scored on the opening day against Everton after going on as a substitute.

“I wanted to show what I am about and prove to everyone what I can do. 

“I haven’t had that chance yet but, hopefully, if I do get that chance, I can show them what I am all about.