Sign a f@ckin striker

Well I agree with that part, but they tend to cost millions. When you can't afford that type of quality, all you can do is try to create more chances for those at your disposal. None of our strikers are likely to score a goal from only 1 or 2 chances, because they lack confidence - and aren't that good anyway.

Yes it's unlikely that we'd get a 20 goal striker, on loan anyway, but we can bring in the type of players that would make the side function better. A wideman yes, but that alone won't solve the problem, remember we had Drenthe and were equally impotent. We seem to collect strikers with no thought of how they will play together.

Guest wilyfox

Yes it's unlikely that we'd get a 20 goal striker, on loan anyway, but we can bring in the type of players that would make the side function better. A wideman yes, but that alone won't solve the problem, remember we had Drenthe and were equally impotent. We seem to collect strikers with no thought of how they will play together.

I agree. I don't think much thought has gone into effective partnerships when recruiting our forwards. It seems that big guy/little guy is as far as it went. The lack of experience up there is worrying too.

The winger is a crucial part of the remedy though. We're playing people out there who aren't deserving of keeping the shirt.

Guest Deleted member

And yet the wingers we are playing are the same as the wingers we played in the first 10 or so games, before Man City murdered us and our confidence

Guest wilyfox

It beggers belief that we signed two inexperienced young strikers in jan to go with the two we already have.

Indeed. Four 22yr olds, 2 with very little champ experience, 2 with none at all. Bizarre.

Guest Deleted member

117 attempts on goal in those first 7 league games before Man City. An average of 17 a game.

Kind of makes a mockery of the strike pair getting 1 or 2 chances a game doesn't it...

By the way, that tally led to just 8 goals, meaning our strikers need an average of 15 chances per goal scored...

Guest wilyfox

Assuming all the chances fell to strikers - which they didn't.

Assuming all the efforts at goal were decent chances - which they won't have been.

You can present all the stats you like. There have been many games when we've been wasteful in front of goal, and many games we simply haven't created enough clear scoring opportunities.

Assuming all the efforts at goal were decent chances - which they won't have been.

You can present all the stats you like. There have been many games when we've been wasteful in front of goal, and many games we simply haven't created enough clear scoring opportunities.

True, but they are the same statistics that are used measure all sides performers

Guest wilyfox

True, but they are the same statistics that are used measure all sides performers

By whom? Stats show quantity, not quality. Gray has given many post-match interviews bemoaning our final ball. He's well aware of the problem, but hasn't solved it.

Guest Deleted member

But the completely made up stat of 1-2 chances a game is fine?

By whom? Stats show quantity, not quality. Gray has given many post-match interviews bemoaning our final ball. He's well aware of the problem, but hasn't solved it.

Really??

In virtually every post match interview I've heard he's bemoaned our lack of clinical finishing

Guest wilyfox

I didn't use 1 or 2 chances as a stat; merely to imply that our strikers are inefficient at converting chances so we probably need to create quite a few of them.

He's bemoaned both the final ball and finishing - because both are a problem, which you don't seem to wanna accept because you'd rather attempt to win a flawed argument.

ive just read the last 3 pages..... and breath ...................... BUS

signed a striker on deadline day, a striker who was the top scorer in the league that he was playing in! what more do people want? 

yeah hes only 22, yeah hes never played in the champ but so what? people seem to cry out for the merry-go-round champ standard players who, by definition of being available on loan, means are not tearing up any trees at his own club.

the owls are trying to find that next diamond who is too good for the championship and could earn us promotion plus a ten million sell on fee, not easy to find but i commend us for doing it.

Bus won us a penalty in a 20 minute cameo on debut to bag us a point. 

then it needed a class save to stop him scoring in his first and (to date) only start... from the corner of the 6yd box to get the power & direction in that header was class. 

Im well happy & excited by this signing, and watching him play.... then i come in here an see moan moan moan want want want for the same old players who AINT COMING!

I personally would be fuming if we sign one, we are mid table not going up or down and i want to get to the end of next season KNOWING about Bus, knowing about bus with Nuhiu or even with May, i wanna be seeing Lavery from mid march when his loan ends too. 

we got money now, but it doesnt mean we discard players like lavery who, pre takeover, we thought had promise.

he still has promise, but we musnt WASTE GAMES watching some geezer on loan doin an OK job for us while Bus Lavery May Nuhiu waste away on the bench, 

Lets look at our OWN PLAYERS now, so we know what we need to do come the summer. 

knowledge is power.

Of course we all hope Bus can do what the others haven't, and that's deliver goals consistently, but in truth it ain't a good idea to have only four inexperienced strikers.

I Agree with you.... but, we are as mid table as mid table can be, our defence/keeper will make sure were not involved in any relegation, but if we get who you want we still aint going up this year and the player will still have to go back!

so on the basis that we will be a champ club next yr no matter who plays up top last 15 games, it surely makes sense to answer all the unanswered questions about our own players before the summer transfer window.... 

maybe people are correct about may being crap, maybe people are correct about May being Brilliant? lets find out ffs, not just May, all of em..

my last post was my first in this thread so i was directly answering your thread title tbh.     ''sign a f***in striker''

and in fairness, as i pointed out, we did, sign the top scorer in his league, at an age where IF he comes off, could be better than ALL THESE NAMES on your list... he might not be too. but thats the excitement init? finding out? cant find out if he not playing tho!

i got a feeling one of bus/may/lavery will be a big hit player, not sure which one, they all have bags of potential and could all do well, but if just one of these 3 become HOT PROPERTY over the coming years... well thats gonna be great for us....

unless we only find out when we move them on without GIVING THEM A REAL CHANCE,

because wood/yakubu/billyblunt who ever else wastes a shirt for his own use for 3 months. 

sorry but not the way to go IMO.

The new owners will want to see us pushing on next season and waiting for young strikers to come good could seriously undermine any promotion push

The lack of a potent goal threat could be Grays downfall, it's a huge gamble as bus/may/keane/nuhui all have potential

But at the moment that is all they have, potential

Guru is so right in my view about the real risk of only having FOUR INEXPERIENCED STRIKERS.

No Championship manager who wants to keep his job would go with that.

There is respect for Gray in what he achieved on a minimal budget under MM but the transfer window was very disappointing.

The priority had to be to get a player in who has scored goals regularly at Championship level or above.