I fear Stevie May is turning into

He is gonna start getting stick soon It isn't his fault though, Gray needs to give him a break and take him out of the spotlight. He had the opportunity to do that when the chairman gave him permission to bring in another striker. Think he's rather blown the opportunity by signing Gary Taylor-Fletcher, a player who isn't going to offer any genuine goal threat

im sorry but this is typical Wednesday fans , writing somebody off straight away. nuihu does nothing more than may and looses the ball regularly but because he's flavour of the month gets away with it. for what its worth I agree may needs time out the side but to say he's league one or two etc is totally stupid. it was the same with Antonio who was apparently useless, funny as soon as he goes elsewhere he does better. we have some really mediocre and limited players who hinder us, semedo being one of them , but again as he's a crowd favourite nobody ever says anything . perhaps a stint on the bench and a bit of patience (nuihu had the whole of last season to 'bed in'). its a big step up and Wednesday's midfield is so poor I think suarez would take time to settle.

I hope we are not writing May off, not least because, having blown our entire budget on the guy, he needs to come good. However, it's plain to see, he's going backwards and needs to be benched. Sometimes that happens, he's come from Scotland to a bigger club where the weight of expectation sits heavily on his shoulders. At any other club in this league, he would have been eased in slowly, enabling him to make the transition to what is undeniably a much more competitive league. As another poster has pointed out, sadly, we do not appear to be in a position to make that kind of long term investment. If we needed an instant return on our money, probably Stevie May was not the right man

May could come good.

But he needed to sign for a team that wasn't desparate for a 20 goals a season hero.

Needed to sign for a team that could allow him to adjust and develop before gradually introducing him into their set up.

May was set up as our new hero. Gray had no choice because he didn't have much else in terms of options.

Neither May nor Gray to blame imho.

May could come good.

But he needed to sign for a team that wasn't desparate for a 20 goals a season hero.

Needed to sign for a team that could allow him to adjust and develop before gradually introducing him into their set up.

May was set up as our new hero. Gray had no choice because he didn't have much else in terms of options.

Neither May nor Gray to blame imho.

Spot on, we're in danger of ruining the guy

Amazing innit how a run of average form piles pressure on the best players we have because they are in the spotlight more than the journey men who no one affords blame to.

Utter testicles!

Yes. Your comment is utter testicles. May is far from the best player and he's playing poorly not "average".

To put it in context, the league in which May made his name, the best league in Scotland, currently has Mikael Antoine Currier as it's top scorer.

To summarise, it's a wavnk league, and the Championship is miles ahead.

Gray needs to handle this carefully. May shouldn't be written off completely, but he's way way way off being capable of contributing right now. It's like when someone brings their 13 year old son to join in with a knock around with a group of 25-40 year olds. It doesn't matter if he's got a half decent touch, because he's knocked off the ball as soon as a defender catches him - i.e. immediately.

The scapegoat point is interesting, because as it stands, he is genuinely a large part of the problem that we have right now. He is occupying a space that would allow someone like GTF or Drenthe to play more regularly. We need both of them, plus Maguire, Lee, and Nuhiu on the field at the same time. May stands in the way of that happening.

like...

--------------- Lee ------- Semedo ------------

Drenthe ----  Taylor-Fletcher ---- Maguire

-------------------- Nuhiu -----------------------

So unfortunately, he will become the focus of an Owlstalk thread after every game, of pub and workplace conversations, and of every other call into Radio Sheffield, unless Gray does the sensible thing and put him on the bench.

Bringing GTF in to show him how it's done is a great move. May just needs the pressure off him for a while now. He needs time to settle in. Let's hope the loan spell can be for more than a month.

Gray needs to handle this carefully. May shouldn't be written off completely, but he's way way way off being capable of contributing right now. It's like when someone brings their 13 year old son to join in with a knock around with a group of 25-40 year olds. It doesn't matter if he's got a half decent touch, because he's knocked off the ball as soon as a defender catches him - i.e. immediately.

The scapegoat point is interesting, because as it stands, he is genuinely a large part of the problem that we have right now. He is occupying a space that would allow someone like GTF or Drenthe to play more regularly. We need both of them, plus Maguire, Lee, and Nuhiu on the field at the same time. May stands in the way of that happening.

like...

--------------- Lee ------- Semedo ------------

Drenthe ----  Taylor-Fletcher ---- Maguire

-------------------- Nuhiu -----------------------

So unfortunately, he will become the focus of an Owlstalk thread after every game, of pub and workplace conversations, and of every other call into Radio Sheffield, unless Gray does the sensible thing and put him on the bench.

Bringing GTF in to show him how it's done is a great move. May just needs the pressure off him for a while now. He needs time to settle in. Let's hope the loan spell can be for more than a month.

The problem is, I think Taylor-Fletcher has been brought in to justify May's continuation as a regular starter. After all, he's hardly been signed to send Nuhiu racing through on goal has he

People are reading too much into the signing of GTF. He has been signed because we are woefully short up front, with strikers who don't pose any threat whatsoever.

But with his recent goals record and lack of pace, how will he remedy that?

But with his recent goals record and lack of pace, how will he remedy that?

Beggars can't be choosers. We more than likely can't afford who Gray really wants/or they arn't available. Getting strikers who score regularly, out of other clubs, must be almost impossible.

Beggars can't be choosers. We more than likely can't afford who Gray really wants/or they arn't available. Getting strikers who score regularly, out of other clubs, must be almost impossible.

I understand that, and I know what Gary Taylor-Fletcher can bring to the table. However, do we have the players to take advantage of what he brings. As I said before, are his probing passes going to send Nuhiu, May and Madine racing in on goal?

GTF is a good player. My only issue is that in terms of options we are crying out for pace, and width. I'd have thought we would have gone for a kid from the Premier league, who maybe offered both. Hallam Hope was probably that player, but that hasn't worked out.

We havn't replace either JJ or Antonio. Our main 'tactic' appears to be hard work, and although admirable, it's proving to have got us only so far. We've been worked out, and we've run out of ideas. Good sides are sitting back, soaking up the first half effort, then controlling games.

That said, we are roughly where I thought we would be at the start of the season.

GTF is a good player. My only issue is that in terms of options we are crying out for pace, and width. I'd have thought we would have gone for a kid from the Premier league, who maybe offered both. Hallam Hope was probably that player, but that hasn't worked out.

We havn't replace either JJ or Antonio. Our main 'tactic' appears to be hard work, and although admirable, it's proving to have got us only so far. We've been worked out, and we've run out of ideas. Good sides are sitting back, soaking up the first half effort, then controlling games.

That said, we are roughly where I thought we would be at the start of the season.

With that in mind, are we not better returning to the five man midfield that at least enabled us to control games. I even think it would be better for Stevie May. Introduce him from the bench, fresh for the last half hour when spaces will start to appear as defenders tire. This would help lift the weight of expectation and let him adjust slowly to the demands of the division.

With that in mind, are we not better returning to the five man midfield that at least enabled us to control games. I even think it would be better for Stevie May. Introduce him from the bench, fresh for the last half hour when spaces will start to appear as defenders tire. This would help lift the weight of expectation and let him adjust slowly to the demands of the division.

The only option we have in my opinion is to play Helan further up the pitch. We need to turn teams round, and he has got the pace to do it. Stevie May looks lost. He needs a pre season on the weights, as he doesn't look physically up to the rigours of this league.

Guest Johnbloodaxe

May will come good for us, come on he's had relatively few games.

People used to have a reeeet moan about Hirsty for his first season at least.... and look how he turned out.

I'm not saying May is anywhere near as good as Hirsty, but there again there are VERY few that are or have ever been.

BUT for fooooook sake give him a bit of time, I think he'll be great for us, him and Nuhiu just need to play a bit closer together and stop tracking back to get the ball.... it's up to our midfield to make things happen for them too. Drenthe played a couple fo through balls yesterday which we have been missing, we need to fit Drenthe Maguire May and Nuhiu into our starting 11 and May will come good.

MAY needs to get closer to Nuhiu bloody hell...  especially at home.

That's a coaching issue tbh...