Help needed with a study!

Guest leedsuni

Guest leedsuni

Hello Everyone,

I'm just finishing my postgraduate at Leeds University and I am currently researching for a dissertation about the impact of negative comments or "trolling" of football clubs' social media channels, and in particular their Twitter accounts.  I am trying to collect information from supporters who use these channels to communicate with football clubs’ official channels.

I was wondering if anybody would be able to take a couple of minutes to answer the following questions for me?  All answers will be used solely for the purposes of the study and all respondents and clubs will be given highly unoriginal pseudonyms in the write-up!!

1.      Do you interact with the club’s official social media channels regularly? And if so, why?

2.      Can you describe a time when you saw another supporter of your club leave a negative comment or message on public display? Did you react to this, and if so, how did you react?

3.      How much of a problem do you believe internet “trolls” to be on the delivery of official club content online?

4.      Can you recall a time that you have ever “trolled” or made an online comment on another team’s activities in a negative way?  If so, why was this, and if not, what would deter you from doing so?  Did you receive any reaction from the club or fans of that club?

If would prefer, please feel free to DM me with your responses, along with any other queries you may have about the study.

Thanks in advance and good luck for this season!!

1. Consume only

2. Almost daily. I don't react

3. I don't think trolls make a blind bit of difference to the club but are generally good for banter as people invariably bite.

4. I don't troll. It's just not my thing. I have fun in other ways, such as this amazing free game I developed. Feel free to publish in your dissertation ;)

www.fantasyfootballtrader.co.uk

Edited by bigrbuk

1. Read most of the output, occasionally respond to a Facebook post or tweet by the club

2. Happens all the time, usually I can work out if they are trolling or not but I have bitten on occasion...

3. I don't think it has any impact on the content the club puts out, but can impact on how the club is perceived, both positively and negatively. Some trolling is funny, others just not - for example a young Spurs fan tweeted yesterday in response to Newcastle's tribute to the two fans that had died saying they were glad they were dead, they revelled in the uproar their tweet caused and said it was all just "banter". 

4.Twice, both when I was a bit younger and a bit drunker, although I don't think either count as making comments in a negative way just making slightly misleading comments. Once, I went on a Stockport forum and told them they'd got an absolute gem of a keeper in Chris Adamson. The second time, I went on a Yeovil forum and started a rumour that Chris Evans was  launching a takeover bid. It actually got quite a large response. Nowadays, I'd only really go on an opposition forum if we were playing them and that would be to assess their views and comments, I wouldn't make any comment myself. I don't see the point in trolling, unless it's the occasional tweet designed only to get a rise / laugh out of your mates who support other clubs (mainly aimed at my Geordie friends).

There are a couple of trolls on this site.

Their usernames are Beholder and @Owlstalk. It may be worth your while contacting them.

1. never use the official media outlets..I know there isn't a why not optioin..but I'll tell you anyhow...they are  pretty amateurish and hardly up to date.

2.No..if I reacted to every negative comment I read on this forum for instance..I wouldn't get any sleep.

3.I hardly think internet Trolls make any difference...God knows Ive tried....................

4. I rarely post on other teams websites...I have once I think on a Blades one...but tht was just to post a "laughin' Policeman video...forget why....

Hello Everyone,

I'm just finishing my postgraduate at Leeds University and I am currently researching for a dissertation about the impact of negative comments or "trolling" of football clubs' social media channels, and in particular their Twitter accounts.  I am trying to collect information from supporters who use these channels to communicate with football clubs’ official channels.

I was wondering if anybody would be able to take a couple of minutes to answer the following questions for me?  All answers will be used solely for the purposes of the study and all respondents and clubs will be given highly unoriginal pseudonyms in the write-up!!

1.      Do you interact with the club’s official social media channels regularly? And if so, why? Yes because your Mum told me to

2.      Can you describe a time when you saw another supporter of your club leave a negative comment or message on public display? Did you react to this, and if so, how did you react? Too busy with your Mum

3.      How much of a problem do you believe internet “trolls” to be on the delivery of official club content online? I don't think there are such things as trolls

4.      Can you recall a time that you have ever “trolled” or made an online comment on another team’s activities in a negative way?  If so, why was this, and if not, what would deter you from doing so?  Did you receive any reaction from the club or fans of that club? I've never done this. People need to grow up.

If would prefer, please feel free to DM me with your responses, along with any other queries you may have about the study.

Thanks in advance and good luck for this season!!