Sheffield Wednesday are the most popular bet to win promotion from the Championship this season

Guest justcraig

Kieran Lees?

Fúck off.

Beat me to it! You having a beer before the match saturday?

Fancy a catch up and put the world to rights?

This.

I wonder how much of that money went on after takeover announcement? And wasn't there another betting analysis article recently that had us down as favourites for relegation? Clear nobody knows what they're on about.

The Independent had us down for 23rd, christ I hope not - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/a-teambyteam-guide-to-the-championship-season-201415-9655420.html

Edited by OwlLuke

I don't understand betting.

If we are so 'popular' for promotion - why are our odds so long?

I thought betting was a popularity contest - the more money people put on (popular) the shorter the odds?

It doesn't make sense to me.

That's Tote betting or a betting exchange, where punters are basically betting against each other and the more that is bet on a certain outcome will have an effect on the odds.

In this case, the bookmaker sets the odds based on form, squad and usually the opinion of an expert. Wednesday are long odds there because the likelihood is that we won't get promoted. All this story says is that the bookies are gonna make a mint from Wednesday fans. Including me.