Best and Worst Transfers we've ever made

Guest Mancunian_Owl

who has been the star signing in the last 5 years

In terms of which signing had the biggest impact on the club, I'd say Semedo. He was vital to our team during the promotion season; without him, we could well still be a League 1 club. There is a reason why Megson pulled out all the stops to convince him to sign for us.

It's a bonus that he's now found his feet in the Championship too and his importance was shown by the way the form of others suffered when he got injured last season.

I remember that game like it was yesterday.

I always thought Atherton was pretty solid when I was a kid.

If we had a player like Atherton now, he'd be a legend. Versatile, commited and chipped in with the odd great goal. Wasnt blessed with skills, but that wasnt his job.

Guest Mancunian_Owl

I don't think Booth was bad at all, plus we recouped our money when we sold?

No a bad bit of business.

We paid £2.7 Million, we got £200k for him from when we sold him back to Huddersfield 5 years later (he scored 28 goals for us in that time).

Yeah right bit of businesss

:st2:

One of the best I remember was Imre Varadi - scored 33 goals in his first spell - got us promoted and it really annoyed lots of Newcastle fans when we bought him.

the worst by a country mile has to be Wim Jonk - A fine player in his time but whatever happened he just lost it at hillsborough and he cost us about 2.5 Mill + wages

Edited by owlfandbg

£1,150 secured us the services of left back Ernest Blenkinsop, his second full season saw us win the second division championship then the back to back Championships and gaining 26 full England caps. He was born in Cudworth, though I don't recall him having the extra digit.

My dad introduced me to him in the early 60's at The Sportsman Crosspool where he was the Landlord  where I got my first sight of and England cap.  

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

Guest justcraig

One of the best signings we've ever made was Paul warhurst!

Signed as a RB from Oldham for Circa £750k, played fantastic for several seasons, played up front, banged loads of goals, called up for England, swallowed his tongue and eventually sold for just short of £3m!

great player!

After listening to someone talk rubbish about another clubs transfer policy it made me take a look at some of our transfers ins and outs of the last couple of seasons

Reading through who we had signed it made me realise, that some of our best ever signings came from freebies:

Steve Maclean

Chris Brunt

Chris Kirkland

Lee Grant

Frankie Simek

Glenn Whelan

JP McGovern

Lee Peacock

Graeme Lee (I thought he was decent)

Yet our worst ever signings, actually all cost us a lot of money, yeah there are some freebies in there but more often than not actually paying decent money for players (over £500k) actually seemed to be a really bad idea:

Andy Booth £2.7 Mil

Vim Jonk £2.5 Mil

Giles De Bilde £3 Mil

Adam Proudlock £150k

Petter Rudi £800k

Francis Jeffers £700k I think

Pretty much everyone apart from Alexandersson in 1997/98

It's easy to see how we got ourselves into £25 Million in debt once you see how much money we wasted on flop players, therefore have we just learnt our lesson over the years that paying millions for player actually very rarely provides us with great talent.

Going into a "potential" Mammadov future reign, do we want any future investment going into future transfers when we have been so woeful at it in the past.

Lee peacock lol Awful player

Edited by Greenhgate Owl

Guest Mancunian_Owl

Calling BS there.

No way did we only get £200k back.

I'll have some of that sweet, sweeeet humble pie please:

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/news/huddersfield-town-greats-andy-booth-7449427

"In the latter stages of 2000/2001, Town called on Booth to rid them of their struggles at the bottom of Division One by forking out £200,000 on their former player."