Gray to Wigan as no 2

I can't disagree with you about the teams performance and actually pointed that out in my original post. The point is for long term survival in the PL you have to have the support and finance. A great example of this over the years was Wimbledon who against all odds reached the top. They were very successful albeit for a relatively short period of time as they did not have the support or investment to challenge on a long term basis. Wigan will probably go up this year as they are a very good side and have a great manager but I guarantee in the next couple of years they will come back down. as they do not have backing to sustain themselves at that level.

How did they manage it for so long previously then?

Fan base is nothing in the prem. TV money alone keeps clubs going. Its been stated previously that fan revenue is at best an extremely small percentage. Hence teams like Wigan and Blackburn charging significantly smaller prices than other clubs in the area and league.

We need investment to compete. Wigan have parachute payments have used them well this season and have a great chairman (not saying we don't). Far superior to us on and off the pitch at present.

Don't be soft and look through rose tinted specs. Fan base is nothing for many teams.

The smaller fan base team that survived against the huge finances of the prem won the fa cup against the odds got to the semi again and have a good chance of going up this season.

All that against £15/£20 tickets even when in the prem. If you don't think they have better prospects than us as it stands I'd think again.

After all - where's our 'fanbase' got us since 2000???

'kin load of testicles senwar don't start me on this sh"t again not after yesterday.

Guest TC OWL

if our manager left us to join a tinpot egg chasing  loving little club like that then it would be time to lock the gates up and call it a day

He's not our manager BG, he's our head coach. I've read much into that, I'm sure you have too if you're honest.

From a full time manager to an assistant at a club where their fan base is terrible and no hope of ever been massively invested to grow. Doubt it.

We were hoping for massive investment 15 years ago & it's still no closer.

I can't imagine Gray would entertain going back to Assistant when he's been given this chance at a reasonably placed Championship club - he can't have thought he'd get the chance again given his previous record.  And he might never again, not at this level......

You have to wonder what Assistants actually do anyway that has any real impact - I see the Megson/Terry Burton myth has been raised on another thread and you only have to look at Gray and Russ Wilcox this season to see that once some Number Twos get the top job they do things completely differently and deliver a totally different style and set of results!

After all - where's our 'fanbase' got us since 2000???

It ultimately helped get rid of a regime that were impotent enough to watch this club sink without trace as long they could show off to their cronies over a Brandy, Cigar and Bourbons...

Edited by Flat Owl