Gooch...Rio here I come

The thing is, and I know most (probably all) will disagree, but we have Taylor and that young Mackenzie lad. Also, Loovens may be back this weekend.

To be fair, I wouldn't be averse to giving Taylor another go. Maybe try Mackenzie away from Hillsborough. One mistake at home and he'll be booed to high heavens

Gooch has been class since he arrived.

We will struggle to get anyone of his standard next season.

He is good enough to command the kind of wage we cannot compete with.

Agreed.

I'm not quite sure why Onyewu is getting any stick on here, especially after the Charlton game where he was at fault for NONE of the goals and defended individually well.

Overall he's played well since he's been here. Struck up a very good partnership with Loovens, where they've only really struggled badly against Watford (not helped by the team and it's defensive tactics). It really isn't a coincidence that the big flow of goals has continued on a regular basis with constant changes in defence and having a centre back partner who would make Franco Baresi nervous.

Individually he's been fine, even if we've conceded a lot of goals. As a team we have issues defensively and certainly have a few individuals who aren't good enough.

We should try and sign Onyewu for next season.

Good, solid defender for this level.

I'm not quite sure why Onyewu is getting any stick on here, especially after the Charlton game where he was at fault for NONE of the goals and defended individually well.

Thing is mate, Llera is being crucified - but for the 2 goals, Onyewu was nowhere for the first and didn't do enough for his man for the second (for the pass). Not saying he's to blame but for me, he definitely looks like someone playing out the last few games with ease

I know this is going to be a bit controversial on here but he int really that good is he. Probably had 2 good games I can think of. You can't just blame 1 defender for conceding 11 goals in 4 games, it don't look good on any of defence really does it? A defence minded coach such as gray should replace Gooch easy imo. If he don't wanna be here give someone else a go last 2 games.

100% agree he's mediocre at best, I'm sure gray will be setting his sights much higher for next season same goes for a few others as well, let's not forget this is DJs team not grays yet!!!!

Agreed.

Overall he's played well since he's been here. Struck up a very good partnership with Loovens, where they've only really struggled badly against Watford (not helped by the team and it's defensive tactics). It really isn't a coincidence that the big flow of goals has continued on a regular basis with constant changes in defence and having a centre back partner who would make Franco Baresi nervous.

Individually he's been fine, even if we've conceded a lot of goals. As a team we have issues defensively and certainly have a few individuals who aren't good enough.

We should try and sign Onyewu for next season.

Good, solid defender for this level.

Good player but there's no denying over the last 5/6 he's looked out of sorts.

Just generally un-workable. He looks knackered. Look at the replay of the third goal v Charlton. Terrible back pass by Nuhiu but just look how much he's struggling to move.

We've conceded a ridiculous amount of goals lately but there all Llera's fault apparently.

For the first, where is Onyewu? For the second, his man plays the ball to Sordell. So he isn't faultless.

For me, it does seem apparent that he may have his mind on other things and to be honest, I'd now say thanks and play someone else in the last two - the fella isn't going to sign and won't risk injury this close to the World Cup

Exactly..... my point of the thread......glad someone else on the same wavelength.

Thing is mate, Llera is being crucified - but for the 2 goals, Onyewu was nowhere for the first and didn't do enough for his man for the second (for the pass). Not saying he's to blame but for me, he definitely looks like someone playing out the last few games with ease

Well I completely disagree. He wasn't at fault for any of Charltons goals on Monday.

First one simply should have been dealt with by Helan and/or Llera. Movement off Llera was a big contributing factor.

Second... Poor play in possession and Antonio gave it away. Midfield cover lacking and therefore we cannot expect Onyewu to go tight on his marker as we had no cover. Again, a little movement off of Llera and Sordell is in. Good ball to him mind.

Third one was just a shocking mistake from Nuhiu.

One thing I've noticed about Onyewu over the last few weeks, isn't that he's "eased" off. He's now defending differently to how he did we he was partnered with Loovens. With Loovens he obviously had confidence in him and a relationship/understanding/awareness of how Loovens would covet and defend behind him. This meant Onyewu could attack the ball and put attackers under quicker pressure in the confidence that Loovens reading of the game behind was good enough to cover. Very much a partnership that worked (apart from Watford).

With Llera it's very different. You can see at times he wants to go and do what he did well prior to his partnership with Llera. He wants to go and pressure, be aggressive and win the ball back. But he doesn't trust the cover in behind and lets be honest, neither would me or you. Onyewu is now far more reluctant to defend how he was when he was with Loovens.

It's something Carlton Palmer picked up brilliantly in his commentary of the Bournemouth game.

It's not nice to pin it on one individual and not every goal is a Llera mistake. But it's having Llera at CB, why as a unit we look far more easy to score against. Individually Onyewu, Buxton & Mattock are doing reasonably ok. But collectively they're not. There is a reason.

At the end of the day, there is no confidence, there is no relationship and there is no trust.

It's harsh, but Llera is very much the biggest problem in our defensive unit.

It's funny how these threads didn't appear about Onyewu prior to his performance with Llera is it?

Well I completely disagree. He wasn't at fault for any of Charltons goals on Monday.

And I haven't blamed him for any of the goals.

I'm saying he could have done better.

My opinion is that the recent games I've seen and granted it has included Llera, have seen a lesser performance from Onyewu.

Guest wilyfox

Gooch has done his cause and ours no harm whatsoever. Loovens is the one I really want to keep, and then one of either Gooch or Gardner.

And I haven't blamed him for any of the goals.

I'm saying he could have done better.

My opinion is that the recent games I've seen and granted it has included Llera, have seen a lesser performance from Onyewu.

I have to agree i have seen a different Onyewu these last few games, and it has made me think that he was one eye on the world cup.