Rhys McCabe coming off twitter...

You have this mixed with footballers who, lets face it, don't have the brains and/or the maturity to deal with this properly. I am on Twitter and I follow (but have never messaged) a number of our players. In my opinion, both Gary Madine and Rhys McCabe use Twitter too much. And I think both are visibly prone to being wound up too quickly by fans, as much as they're also too quick to put their foot in it with ill thought out comments. In my humble opinion - for what that's worth - I think both Madine and McCabe struggle with the balance of being a footballer on Twitter and should probably make a decision to come off it. Or have that option enforced by the club.

Twitter isn't all bad. I see the likes of Bullen engaging with fans and the likes of Jermaine Johnson using it to really strike up a relationship with supporters, even when he's done something stupid like last night, and am reminded that it's a great tool for players and fans. But only if they can cope with it.

I think that's a top post Dave.

In addition to Bullen and JJ, I actually think Liam Palmer is probably the best at using it- extremely positive at all times, engages with fans quite honestly and sincerely...and most importantly, tends to give twitter a miss after we've lost a game to let things cool down a bit.

Chris Lines struck a good balance when he was here as well.

agree totally with all of that (as long as no abuse was involved).they need to take a long,hard look at themselves

Not at all. I was not abusive, nor offensive.

I merely explained how I felt he had not shown so far what he was capable of, or what we were told he was capable of upon signing.

I also explained it was not knee-jerk, or based on last night, it was based on all the times I have seen him play.

He also wanted me to explain how I felt his footballer lifestyle was affecting his game. I did. I said he needed to focus on the thing that mattered, training, living the correct lifestyle to better your career and to take words of critique the right way and help it to inspire your game

If anything offended, I apologise, that was not my intention. I was merely explaining how I felt he had been coming up short in the role we expect of him. 

And who is that ? Certainly not McCabe.

Ha.

He's scared to recieve it.When he does he can't wait to get rid. You wont see him running at defences or looking for a killer ball, EVER.

Ha.

He's scared to recieve it.When he does he can't wait to get rid. You wont see him running at defences or looking for a killer ball, EVER.

I think McCabe's problem is that he is trying to impress too hard and won't try anything except hollywood balls myself.

Which is frustrating because he doesn't need to do it. His best performance I've seen was actually his debut against Derby last season when he ran the game for long periods without trying anything too complicated or intricate.

A question on the above quoted line for Glaser.

Does it only apply to footballers or everyone and if it is just the former why the disparity?

Everyone needs to be accountable. More so footballers as they are paid astronomical sums of money, doing something they love. People would gladly change places for the modern footballers life.

In any walk of life there will be appraisal and performance management. Every employee is expected to conform to certain standards and deliver work of a quality they promise, or are said to be able to deliver.

When this standard is not met, surely they can expect someone saying something ? Be it a colleague, boss, or outside interested party. 

People cannot go through life thinking they are doing alright, when they are actually below standard.

Are we more in the wrong for letting them know of their failings and giving them a chance to take stock and improve, or merely ignore the failings and let them amble on, lowering the productivity of the organisation and team around them ? ? 

Guest 5512uto

Good, the fewer players we have using that poo the better. I don't agree with people slagging players off and abusing them on twitter, but if they're happy to have fans blowing smoke up their arses when they've done well they should either accept the critical comments or just turn it off

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Why are you a fan then?

Just go and support a team that only does well.

Idiot.

This was one of your 1st posts on owlstalk.

What a lovely poster you are going to be. With fans like u who needs enemies.

Feck off.

Oh good, just what Owlstalk needs, another nobend

You do realise the "new" poster is Harrytheowl don't ya?

Guest wadsleyjackowl

Wawaw....ha what a joke!

Saddens me that, as with most things in life, it's a minority of utter space cadets that ruin it for the masses!

I used to like the odd interaction with the players on twitter...mainly just to read it & sometimes get a small insight into what they do other than kick a ball. Appears that their down time is under scrutiny with a microscope.

If a 400k player isn't the next Rooney then watch out with some of our fans.

I'll put my hands up & say here & now that I thought Jay Bothroyd was useless but never ever felt the need to abuse him. I just don't get that at all??? I growled in fustration n muttered under my breath at him yes when I thought he was slacking during a match but that's about it. I also clapped him when he had a decent game v weeds.

We all get fired up in the heat of battle in the game of football. Disappointment is a part of being a football fan in South Yorkshire most of the time. If you can't handle that go watch man ure or Chelsea.

If our fans carry on in the same vein before you know it the Owls in the Park will head down the same road.

People have to be accountable for their actions!

Guest BirdonaMaguire

People who post threats on twitter or any Internet forum are keyboard cowards. T O S S E R S!!!!!

What about generic insults?

I couldn't care less if they have deleted their profiles, I couldn't care less where they go after training, I couldn't care less if they are all out getting bladdered on weekends.

I do care what they do on the pitch for 90 minutes on matchdays. Thats it, why is it so hard for people to get that into their heads.

Theyre not doing it on the pitch, which is why Twitter is becoming a problem for them.

I saw this yesterday - Rhys put something along the lines of "poo " so i guess he opened himself up for abuse.

1 guy told him to get back to what you do best - going out drinking with Madine - The kid in the profile picture was a fat lad with a beer.

Another guy slated him - Rhys got back to him and then all of a sudden he changed his tune - "Sure you'll all get a hammering in training, so onwards and upwards lads wawaw" or some similar arse licking.  Like im sure many of you have said in this thread, theyre just after a reaction.

I didnt go to the game, i gather he didnt play well but at least he managed to bag?

I saw this yesterday - Rhys put something along the lines of "poo " so i guess he opened himself up for abuse.

1 guy told him to get back to what you do best - going out drinking with Madine - The kid in the profile picture was a fat lad with a beer.

Another guy slated him - Rhys got back to him and then all of a sudden he changed his tune - "Sure you'll all get a hammering in training, so onwards and upwards lads wawaw" or some similar arse licking.  Like im sure many of you have said in this thread, theyre just after a reaction.

I didnt go to the game, i gather he didnt play well but at least he managed to bag?

THIS annoys me.

Twitter is often a circle of stupid when it comes to stuff like this.

We have a large portion of absolutely ridiculous people who follow our football club. The same as all clubs, because that's just how society is. You're talking absolute bottom feeders, thicko's and people who quite frankly shouldn't be allowed the freedom of expression that Twitter allows them. People who by all rights should probably be locked away somewhere and repressed away from any sort of decent society.

You have this mixed with footballers who, lets face it, don't have the brains and/or the maturity to deal with this properly. I am on Twitter and I follow (but have never messaged) a number of our players. In my opinion, both Gary Madine and Rhys McCabe use Twitter too much. And I think both are visibly prone to being wound up too quickly by fans, as much as they're also too quick to put their foot in it with ill thought out comments. In my humble opinion - for what that's worth - I think both Madine and McCabe struggle with the balance of being a footballer on Twitter and should probably make a decision to come off it. Or have that option enforced by the club.

Twitter isn't all bad. I see the likes of Bullen engaging with fans and the likes of Jermaine Johnson using it to really strike up a relationship with supporters, even when he's done something stupid like last night, and am reminded that it's a great tool for players and fans. But only if they can cope with it.

Madine's cause isn't helped that he's not been doing the business on the pitch. If a combination of his performances and his Twitter usage are having this sort of spiralling effect on players like him then someone at the club needs to do something about it, be it remove him from that situation, put an arm around him or ship him out.

Really good post, agree with it all.