Player ratings/summary

Guest Owls end

we did play ok  too say QPR are a  very good team. and have high quality players... BUT why was we crossing the ball like we had a midget man up front? hes 6 foot 6 :ghoulguy:

Guest bully87

We were never going to outplay QPR today and beat them 5-0 but what impressed me is that we showed no fear today. Against arguably the best player for player team in the league. And it wasn't even our first 11, we showed fight determination, willingness, and as i said no fear. Whereas last year we looked like a team happy to be playing in the championship at times today we looked like a team that wanted to make an impact in the league whether it be going for play-offs or not or just giving teams something to think about. That performance, wasn't amazing, but showed me that we have a lot to work with this season. Over the season there will be changes. I personally think Coke did well today but will be a squad player once we bring in a couple more players. Now we have the basis of a team we know who can cut it at this level and who can't we are in a position where we can bring in better and then move on fringe players. I was impressed with Gardner and how calmer it all looked with Zayatte there. Once Barton went off McCabe got the ball a bit, but we roughed them up a tad. Nuhiu looked really good. His movement was impressive, positional play and touches were quality. He held the ball up when needed and I remember we were under the cosh it was hoofed up to him he took it on the chest and won a free kick. In my eyes, nothing to really worry about. When Maghoma came on he didn't look scared or that the occasion will out do him he looked settled, like he was part of our team for months and walked on with swagger, that is now what we need SWAGGER. We will have more swagger when we get a goalscorer, but trust me watching Nuhiu he will only get better and will score goals at this level.

For Rotherham, I wouldn't change too much. We need to get a win and develop some momentum. I'd still go with 4-2-3-1

Kirkland

Palmer

Llera

Gardner

R Johnson (possibly Floro depending on Redas fitness)

Prutton

McCabe

JJ

Maghoma

Maguire

Madine (45 minutes)

That team should win us the game, rest vital players and play some fringe

Shame for Mattock if he has a bad injury, thought he did OK today, as did Palmer. All played their part today, but Helan just shaded the M o t M for me from Kirkland. Kirkland's organising of the defence for the corners was comical.

Just posted this on another thread...

Kirlkland - Made some vital saves and kept us in touching distance of an equaliser. Really needs to keep fit like last season if we're to progress 9/10.

Palmer - Grew into the game in the second half after struggling in the first. Unfortunately was up against a real player today in Hoilett who was by far their best player 6/10.

Mattock - Was actually tidy until injury forced him off. Unfortunately the following 5-10 mins was our undoing 6/10.

Zayatte - Impressed me an awful lot and is a proper defender. Maybe tried to do a little too much with the ball at times 8/10

Gardner - Looked good alongside Zayatte but is still a little casual at times in his defending. That's not going to change at his age I suppose 7/10.

Antonio - He's always going to be a threat with pace and power but not his best game. Should have helped Palmer out more in first half and missed a great chance in the second 6/10.

Helan - Gave us shape in the first half when we were in control and in front. Looked ropey at LB until half time but improved in the second half and carried the ball well 6/10.

Coke - He was tidy in the middle but we really need more than he offers if we are to progress 5/10.

Prutton - He was tidy in the middle but we really need more than he offers if we are to progress 6/10.

JJ - Bit on an in out game for him in truth. Nothing particularly outstanding 5/10.

Nuhiu - Clearly not match fit and didn't see much of him in second half as he become isolated. Saw enough in the first half to show he will be a real handful for defences in this league and a threat at set pieces too 7/10.

Maghoma - Looks a threat down the left and could be quite a coup on that evidence. May even be a good choice to play off Nuhiu rather than Antonio. He clearly has more of an eye for goal if last season is anything to go by 7/10.

McCabe - Kept things ticking over when we were pushing near the end but not really enough time to impress 6/10.

Madine - Didn't have long enough to make an impact 5/10.

Well done Wednesday. Plenty to be encouraged with and the weaknesses are apparent and will hopefully be addressed in the near future. I can see us being a real threat come the end of August / beginning of September.

Thanks for that. A good review. Pritty much as I "saw" it the radio commentry

Disagree with JJ with a 5, certainly did better than Coke and Prutton, worked hard and was the product of a sweet counter break which would have resulted in a goal if Antonio didn't miss a sitter

I would say JJ 6 and Coke and Prutton 5, otherwise mostly agree

I thought JJ was generally poor.

Moves often broke down when he had the ball.

Involved in heated discussions with Coke, Palmer and Antonio throughout the match, which would have been OK if he was actually contributing!

Pluses: Kirkland was class, Gardner and Zayatte look like they should work well together, Maghoma didn't look out of place, I was glad that Nuhiu scored, after he should have arguably done better with a couple of previous half-chances. Buxton and Reda improve this team, and I am sure there will be more signings. Olofinjana and Lita could have been enough to tip the balance today.

Minuses: Hoilett walked through our midfield at will too many times. Attacking play looked a bit one dimensional, especially once Nuhiu faded. We needed to work Green more (Sky's stats say one shot on target). Antonio and JJ didn't have their best games.

Generally, if that's the best this division has to offer, a top half finish at least is well within our grasp. But I think we will see better teams than QPR.

Guest Sweet&TenderOwl

It was a decent team performance against strong opposition with some quality individuals for this level.

We were unfortunate to not get at least a point. There are plenty of positives to take from the game.

Our pace, height and power should trouble a lot of teams at this level.

I was very impressed with Nuhui; the centre back pairing, Kirkland and Maghoma when he came on.

Despite our unfortunate full back situation, our light centre midfield area and the need for a decent nippy goal poacher to partner Nuhui, I'm excited about the rest of the season.

I swear we have different expectations of JJ than the rest of the team. His ratings seems to reflect a comparison against his own best performances.

Compared to the rest of the team he contributed more and if say Prutton had made that run / pass to Antonio we'd all be creaming ourselves

Overall a good show, unlucky with Mattock, Palmer needs time and up against QPR outstanding player, Kirkland made some great saves unlucky one fell just right for Johnson, DJ will reflect & learn a lot from the match-up with a team who have a big cash advantage !