Naivety over Antonio

He can beat players

He is shocking at finishing at the moment though

I agree with this, he can beat ppl for fun. The problem is what he does when he has. Like Neil says his finishing at the moment is woeful and there never seems to be anyone in the box for him to pass to. I think he has to stop going down so dramatically too. He does get fouled but tends to try and stay up and then when he does go down it looks like a dive

Guest Leeswfc3

I think Antonio is lacking as a complete player, at the moment, but i believe in him and think he will come good, needs to work on his finishing though!

Guest wilyfox

Antonio creates enough opportunities for himself; but it appears he went to the JJ school of finishing. we're crying out for a decent striker. JJ & Antonio can't shoot, O'Grady's finishing also lets him down, Madine will only score if it's laid on a plate for him, Rodri isn't ready, Maguire isn't ready, Pecnik isn't ready, and Bothroyd is being used in different areas to help create - and is less likely to find himself in scoring positions as a result.

I am the only one who isn't being completely totally and fully, unjustifiably naive over Antonio.

The boy was dangerous in League 1 due to strength and pace, but hasn't got the brains at this level. He can't beat a man. Every week I hear Dave Jones come on Radio Sheffield and talk about how Antonio was our main danger, he got into some good positions, he gave the defenders a bit of hassle.

The lad does NOTHING. He beats his man 1 in 5 times at this level and has zero end product. His decision making is beyond a joke.

I know everyone thinks he's been our best player or whatever, but all I can say, whether you believe me or not, is you're wrong.

don't fully agree but his decision making is very poor (a'la JJ ). hopefully he can improve that side of his game in time

Guest Wilf Marshall

Yes ok, he has some aspects to his game that need work but I don't think we should be criticising him.

He at least looks like he is able to get at the opposition.

He will improve and could become a real handful at this level.

hes our one attacking outlet. reminds me very much of JJ but with a better end product on the occasions he does deliver it.

Youve been watching a different team if you think Antonio has done nothing. We are over reliant on him IMO especially as Bothroyd is contributing very little attacking wise down the flanks.

Nail on head.

I would like to see JJ replace Bothroyd in this system. We played 4-5-1 because we were too open with our attacking wingers playing 4-4-2. Now we are too defensive and don't get enough bodies forward.

True.

I can remember an 'attack' in the 2nd half last night & we counted 8 men(including Kirkland) either in our own half or just passed the half way line.

Were chasing the game at 1-0 @ home & were playing defensively!

We should be busting a gut to get forward!

Someone made a very valid point a while back about how Antonio and JJ prefer running at players with the ball from deep (generally towards half way line). Playing them in last night's formation (which to me was 4-3-3 and not 4-5-1) means they get the ball further forward where there is less space to build up a head of steam and demands more of a trick or a cunning footballing brain.

Guest SWFCMADMAN

Antonio was one of our best players last night, he was getting past players, having shots and seemed to be the one carrying t squad when going forward. He's 21 and considering he's one of our quality players already means he's only going to get better i think

Guest Johnbloodaxe

He needs to work on his final ball and decision making, he is young, hopefully that will develop, anyone who thought he would rip this league apart like he did Div1 was kidding themselves, few players acheive that.

I was always worried that he may not have the same impact in this league, but hopefully he will learn,

He just needs that final killer pass OR calm when going for goal. He is still panicking and making the wrong decisions.

Hopefully he will be better than JJ eventually. He has the making of it.

Let's just hope have patience and give him support.

Personally re the formation we should without a doubt be playing a 4-4 2 at home. with two out and out strikers.

and it has to be Madine and Biothroyd or Rodri.. We have to get a striking partnership clicking before the season is too far gone.

4-5-1 away is OK but currently that then has to be COG no one else is capable of playing that role.

But if we are doing that then JJ needs to play wing NOT Bothroyd.

Yes that means playing different strkers away and at home. BUT the alternative isnlt working at the moment. We need to develop a striking partnership at home. Strikers should hunt in pairs....

Edited by Johnbloodaxe