Reo-Coker signs for Ipswich. Should we have gone in for him?

Yep and thats Ipswich with reo coker, dj campbell, higginbotham, wellens and mohsni on loan

I posted in the 'experienced midfielder' thread and someone suggested Reo Coker

Bolton had Keith Andrews, Hull had Olifinjana, Hudds had Southern, Brum now got Diop,Blackburn got Murphy,Wolves got Karl Henry,

we need similar - experienced , canny, nuisance like, spoiling, annoying, irritating barsteward type who wants to run and even ref the game but can also play a bit yet stick a foot in when things not going well and take some pressure off defence

exactly where Joey might have fitted in , or some one dare I say Savagelike , sure we've come up against these types many times and theyve been seen to run the game even if not in a footballing way !

not really

semedo is great at what he does but that is to sit back, defend, close down and tackle

he dont impose himself in opponents half - lets be honest in final third he is lost - he certainly didnt run the games v bolton, hudds and hull did he ??

according to dj he didnt want to be captain/leader either as it distracted him from his game

dj had paul ince at wolves -

as i said experienced , canny, nuisance like, spoiling, annoying, irritating barsteward type who wants to run and even ref the game but can also play a bit yet stick a foot in when things not going well and take some pressure off defence

Guest wilyfox

Reo-Coker is a player i had hoped we'd target, given our current position. Good signing for Ipswich - even if it is only short-term. Silver lining perhaps with the imminent return of Chris Lines.

Guest Briscoe Inferno

Its concerning that most sides have acquired 2, 3 or 4 during the close season and integrated them into the team - they have had the 10 games to bed in and if they are still falling short they have reserve funds for another 2 or 3 reasonable quality players if it's not working out.

We are now in a situation where we have acquired 6+ in one fell swoop and its still not working out.

An important week coming up.

I would try to get Shaun Derry in - at the very least.

Edited by Briscoe Inferno

Guest intercity0wl

Couldn't afford his wages... got to be on Premiership money!

Why, after all we have ambitions of getting to the premier league According to MM, But surely some of competitors paying vast sums on Quality players pre season, and now some of em signing quality players on Loan, with both options being paid the going rate i would imagine, shows that they probably have more Ambition than us, but also have a more realistic chance of reaching the promised land before us.

Its probably more a case of wont pay the wages being asked for by these players, or their parent clubs, than couldn't afford them

Edited by intercity0wl

Read the Sunday Times today and Joey Barton turned down a move to us when QPR wanted him out...he could have started actually playing in a month...haha!! Im sure DJ is well aware of who is available and will fit in...im still convinced we'll be fine!!! Lines still may be the missing piece of the midfield jigsaw....we'll find out soon enough finally!!!

Guest intercity0wl

Read the Sunday Times today and Joey Barton turned down a move to us when QPR wanted him out...he could have started actually playing in a month...haha!! Im sure DJ is well aware of who is available and will fit in...im still convinced we'll be fine!!! Lines still may be the missing piece of the midfield jigsaw....we'll find out soon enough finally!!!

I dont for one minute think we will not be fine, as long as supporters lower their expectations as to what will constitute a succesful season come next May.

I also think DJ will be well aware of who is available, and would be willing to come and play for him at S6, i just think that the reason why the real quality is not coming to S6 lies a little bit higher up the ladder than DJ.

Why, after all we have ambitions of getting to the premier league According to MM, But surely some of competitors paying vast sums on Quality players pre season, and now some of em signing quality players on Loan, with both options being paid the going rate i would imagine, shows that they probably have more Ambition than us, but also have a more realistic chance of reaching the promised land before us.

Its probably more a case of wont pay the wages being asked for by these players, or their parent clubs, than couldn't afford them

maybe mandaric is pulling in the purse strings so he can give summat to the next manager ....maybe

Guest intercity0wl

maybe mandaric is pulling in the purse strings so he can give summat to the next manager ....maybe

Listen let me just say, im eternally gratefull to MM for all he has done for this club, i am watching championship football again, and as long as we dont drop out of it i am superbly happy with the progress the club has made under his stewardship.

But in the area of spending cash, to allow the three managers we have had under him, to bring in the quality to help him realize the ambition he says he has, then can anybody honestly say MM has ever loosened the Purse strings ??

Listen let me just say, im eternally gratefull to MM for all he has done for this club, i am watching championship football again, and as long as we dont drop out of it i am superbly happy with the progress the club has made under his stewardship.

But in the area of spending cash, to allow the three managers we have had under him, to bring in the quality to help him realize the ambition he says he has, then can anybody honestly say MM has ever loosened the Purse strings ??

How much was Antonio?

I dont for one minute think we will not be fine, as long as supporters lower their expectations as to what will constitute a succesful season come next May.

I also think DJ will be well aware of who is available, and would be willing to come and play for him at S6, i just think that the reason why the real quality is not coming to S6 lies a little bit higher up the ladder than DJ.

I fully agree.

To put it into perspective, the season before Blackpool got promoted to the Premiership they avoided relegation with several games to spare.

If we stay up with Jones then I can see us pushing further up the table the season after.

Reo-Coker is a player i had hoped we'd target, given our current position. Good signing for Ipswich - even if it is only short-term. Silver lining perhaps with the imminent return of Chris Lines.

Still a couple of weeks away, don't want to rush the lad back too soon. Long season ahead