Playing for a 0-0 draw at home

I've watched us since 1971 and can't recall a manager setting up the team as negatively as Jones did today.

Awful to watch.

We deserve to lose setting up like that.

Why when 1-0 down didn't he go 4-4-2 with Antonio and JJ on wings and actually have a go at them.

Sorry, Jones tactics are a joke.

Edited by RichSheffWeds

Guest Briscoe Inferno

Irvine and Burtenshaw spring to mind....

I would expect better from Dave Jones who is known for his attacking flowing football.

Totally agree and have said the same thing I a few threads.

I can understand setting up a but more defensively to keep things tight - but this was terrible. Bothroyd and Antonio clearly instructed to no go too far forward so cog totally isolated.

The funny thing is, I actually think we did play for that. I remember DJ saying a few weeks ago that we need a clean sheet first and foremost to give us something to build on. Is a worrying time when we play a weaker side than others at home and we are playing out for a 0-0/ sneak a 1-0 at best. Not sure I can blame him mind given our torrid defensive woes. Danny Batth anyone? A settled back 4 would be a start mind.

I listened to Jones on Radio Sheffield and the guy is in denial.

He said that no one in the stadium would have expected us to lose that game.

It was clear we would never win playing those tactics if we played until next weekend.

It was either going to end 0-0 or 1-0 to Hull.

It's a double edged sword - we still lose and turn fans off. No one wants to watch those tactics. Like watching paint dry.

It was 4-5-1 but it was also 4-3-3

He still played him ahead of JJ.

and even when we were winning it was still negative.

My eyes might be deceiving me, but I didn't see much 4-3-3.

I saw plenty of O'Grady without a team mate within 20 yards of him though.

If that's how Jones thinks you play 4-3-3 we are in deep trouble.

I've watched us since 1971 and can't recall a manager setting up the team as negatively as Jones did today.

Awful to watch.

We deserve to lose setting up like that.

Why when 1-0 down didn't he go 4-4-2 with Antonio and JJ on wings and actually have a go at them.

Sorry, Jones tactics are a joke.

I agree, bizarre.

It was negative, exactly the same as away at Wolves.

I have no problems with playing a man up top on his own in a 4-2-3-1, 4-1-4-1, 4-5-1, 4-1-2-2-1 formation of whatever it is. However, it's how the team is then set up to play that makes that system effective.

I personally think it's important when playing this play that you do certain things...

In possession...

- It's important that you keep the ball. Long balls up to the lone man will not work on a regular basis because he's left isolated. It will take time for the 4 more 'attacking players' (Bothroyd, Antonio, Barkley & McCabe) to get up in support. By the time they do O'Grady will, more than likely, have lost it. Keeping the ball will allow all parts of the team to move forward and get up to support the lone man.

- Not only is it important to keep the ball and retain it for period of play, but it's important that it's moved forward has quickly as possible. Not by the big boot, but by moving the ball quickly in possession and then breaking quickly through the midfield and out wide. None of this happened today, it was slow and lethargic build up, which allowed Hull to organise and it made it very easy for them to defend against us.

I think pace in wide areas would help us, i.e. JJ & Antonio. This would stretch the game and create more space in midfield for the likes of Barkley and McCabe to use their ability. It all came pedestrian because of a team obviously under instruction not to break that quickly and also have a striker out wide (I didn't think Bothroyd played bad by the way, just not the right position in the right formation for him).

Out of possession...

- It's important to play an high pressure game, closing the opposition and trying to win the ball back as quickly as possible and as high up the field as possible. None of this happened today, we stood in our formation waiting for Hull to find a way of breaking us down.

I don't have a problem with the system in play today, just the way we (as a team) played within that formation. It wasn't any of the above, it was slow in possession and to break and sometime the big boot to O'Grady who was far too isolated and we didn't pressure the Hull players at all.

Edited by BRADDAZ

It was negative, exactly the same as away at Wolves.

I have no problems with playing a man up top on his own in a 4-2-3-1, 4-1-4-1, 4-5-1, 4-1-2-2-1 formation of whatever it is. However, it's how the team is then set up to play that makes that system effective.

I personally think it's important when playing this play that you do certain things...

In possession...

- It's important that you keep the ball. Long balls up to the lone man will not work on a regular basis because he's left isolated. It will take time for the 4 more 'attacking players' (Bothroyd, Antonio, Barkley & McCabe) to get up in support. By the time they do O'Grady will, more than likely, have lost it. Keeping the ball will allow all parts of the team to move forward and get up to support the lone man.

- Not only is it important to keep the ball and retain it for period of play, but it's important that it's moved forward has quickly as possible. Not by the big boot, but by moving the ball quickly in possession and then breaking quickly through the midfield and out wide. None of this happened today, it was slow and lethargic build up, which allowed Hull to organise and it made it very easy for them to defend against us.

I think pace in wide areas would help us, i.e. JJ & Antonio. This would stretch the game and create more space in midfield for the likes of Barkley and McCabe to use their ability. It all came pedestrian because of a team obviously under instruction not to break that quickly and also have a striker out wide (I didn't think Bothroyd played bad by the way, just not the right position in the right formation for him).

I don't have a problem with the system in play today, just the way we (as a team) played within that formation. It was any of the above, it was slow in possession and to break and sometime the big boot to O'Grady who was far too isolated.

Yes. Jones can play an system he likes as long as it's effective and wins games.

The way he got the players working in the system was totally ineffective.

We were devoid of any attacking threat or ideas.

It's clear Jones set up not to lose the game. His decision not to change the shape when we were losing is totally baffling to me.

Totally clueless.