David Hirst or Dalian Atkinson

Guest BoomTownOwls

Since we got relegated that year, neither could have been that good... could they?

My first game was Wednesday v Villa in 92. I've just looked it up and could have sworn that Hirst scored our goal until now and it was Bright, but Atkinson got both Villa goals. I can't remember much of it though, but what was Atkinson's reception like?

I think you are getting 2 different matches mixed up.

Hirst scored in August 91 v Villa.

I think you are getting 2 different matches mixed up.

Hirst scored in August 91 v Villa.

Did we lose 2-1 and Atkinson score twice for them?

Think I remember that one from videos, wasn't that Big Ron's return to Hillsborough after leaving us and Hirst scored a belter in top corner? That wasn't the one I went to

Guest Fedor

If memory serves me right, Hirst was sub on the opening day of the season and Steve Whitton started. Think BFR preferred Dalian but was a throw up that season between them. Both should have achieved so much more in their careers.

Guest Fedor

That's the one Fedor.

Didn't Atkinson score one from the edge of the 18 yard box at the Leppings Lane end?

UTO :biggrin:

Yes I think he did, terrific shot with no back lift but can't find footage

Guest Distraught!

Going back to the OP, this is actually one of the better "Player A v. Player B who is the better?" threads if you narrow it down to that one season.

I say that because it is truly debatable. In a season were we got relegated, Dalian was magnificent at times. I remember after the terrible start we made, Ron bringing in Sheridan then an away match at Forest which we won. Dalian Atkinson ran Forest ragged that day. At the time, I knew several regular Forest followers and they commented to me about Dalian's performance and why they couldn't bel;ieve Wednesday were bottom of the league with a player like him. Dalian could also score special goals amongst them I remember a blinder in the cup against Wolves at Moulineux.

Hirsty did what Hirsty did which was scoring goals with regular frequency. He was good that season but not outstanding. Had he been as good as he was for the following three seasons, Wednesday would have stopped up with ease.

Over the span of that one season, I think Dalian edges the debate. I am with others that say he didn't make of career what he should of done because, for sure, he was a talented lad with strength and pace in abundance.

David Hirst every time , i liked Dalian Atkinson he was a good solid player but not in Hirsty's league ,Ron Atkinson was interviewed at the time when he bought Dalin Atkinson & the radio interviewer say to big ron is he related to you ???

ron replied you have obviously not seen this lad yet then !!! i like the bit on the vid where it says that year we bought Peter Shirtcliff for £450,000 and £400,00 for Dalian Atkinson plus 2 more for £350,00 that was a lot of money then considering it were over twenty years ago , i wonder what that would be worth in todays money ... :biggrin:

....Both had their ups n downs that season....Atkinson was more the finished article at the time...I thought they were just beginning to start working together really well...Apparently there were a few 'reasons' why Atkinson more or less had to leave at the time had a few bizarre personal probs.....getting Willow in once he had left really brought Hirsty on tho and gave a better balance up front!!!

Some great moments from Dalian that year, none less so than the goal against Liverpool at home that moved us out of bottom three, but what if he had been in a winning team that year? He would have done even better no doubt and would David Hirst been the one going out in the close season? What if David Hirst had not been so injury prone, would he have been more in the lime light and been bought by one of the big money clubs as almost happened anyway?

There are always so many "what if's",,,,,,,so easy to get side tracked!

That particular season thpugh, I have to say that Dalian was the more exciting of the two, just a shame he didn't have Hirsty's commitment!

Guest Distraught!

Can't really think of anyone who is better than Hurst....

Bobby Charlton?

Hurst was better on the day that mattered though! :rolleyes: