Indoctrinated ?

Just wondering on the wider scale of things …. Between all the transfer speculation, pre-ejaculation of forthcoming signings ....is the question "what is it that in all our childhood that make us Wednesday" ?

e.g. Are you Wednesday because ;

a) of pre-disposition to colour ?:

b) of location in Sheffield (or ex-pat)?

c) you need to spite the United relatives ?

d) you know you ALWAYS have been ?

Now don’t get me wrong (from my perspective)…. My Dad was not bothered about football, an ex miner preferring the *bar irrespective of football (*it’s still in the genes for me, aswell!) but the rest of my family relation’s were very much Blue & White.

Originally from the Cross, we moved up Walkley, way back in the early 60’s (me being just a nipper) ....My dad still with predisposition to the bar, took me to my first ever match ............Relegation v Man City from the old 1st division, end of 70/71 season with my uncle, who was then in his early teen’s …..It was a night match, … but as folklore now knows, we were gifted the opportunity to escape that fateful night (penalty & substitute et-al) but failed !

Grown men crying following relegation …. p*ssing it down with rain – What was this that drew so much raw emotion ? ….. I was intrigued / hooked …

Thereafter, (my dad, having returned to the bar ) let me to go to football with the next door neighbour who was an elderly Gentleman …..but a Unitedite ! He took me to pre-clad cricket ground that was to become the BTDBL ….. :rolleyes: I watched Hodskinson, Dearden, Badger , Hemsley, Coulhoun, Hockey, Jones, Currie, Woodward, et-al .... (dare I say …..a

good football side . gulp!)

It was the only football I got to see, …pre Match of the Day , Sky jobby !

It was’nt right ! I just was’nt me ……. It was a cricket ground FFS ! ….. I knew I wanted to bat for the other side (*disclaimer pun *) ……. And the 2nd / 3rd division Wednesday beconed , ....I awaited with joy ….

There's been plently of pain :sad: (a bit of of joy :biggrin: in retrospect) but I await the final chapter with the Owls before I snuff it :ph34r: !

So .... back to my question ..... are you a), b), c) or d) ? or is it e) something else ?

WAWAW

My Dad had a Walkley football pall, Walt Glaves was his name, Both long departed. Walt was a blade and it's like I did n't have to ask who mi Dad followed it was like I knew instinctively. They would go to Lane one week and Hillsborough the next.

Dad denied me the info post match from 1953 to 1956 telling me very little of the Saturday football pilgrimage though I pumped him none stop. So by the time I reached my 7th year I was straining at the leash to go to a match. But not any old match it had to be Owlerton, as Dad always called it.

He did relent. After I lost my football virginity Walt was left to his own devices as as it became first Division one week followed by Central League the week after.I must have been 10 or 11 before I set foot in the Lane but a good few would attend both ends of the City in those days.

No, I never recall having chose Wednesday, I must have been a Wednesdayite before I was born.

But the reason i support swfc is down to my dad and one of his brothers. I was born in Leeds (still live here) and my dads brother had a friend at uni who supported us. Subsequently my uncle began going to watch and he became fond of the owls, my dad then began going to a few games and he got into it. I was then born in 1994 and began supporting the Owls and have done ever since.

Bit weird with my dads side of the family as him and once of his brother support the Owls and his other 2 brothers support leeds.

This last season has definitely been the best I've witnessed since going to games since I was 3.

Oh and my future kids if i am to have any will definitely follow me in becoming an owl. :-)

My dad .

To be fair to him he never forced it on me , just bought me shirts and talked about em , he wouldnt take me to a game untill I was 12 because he was worried with the violence and stuff my brother witnessed in the 80's He picked a ryte good game on reflectionit because the first game I ever went to was the vs west ham , the waddle game , needles to say if I wasn't 100% convinced before the game , I deffinalty was after lol. 2nd best day of my life was dancing and singing on the pitch with my dad and brother after Wycombe match .

But the reason i support swfc is down to my dad and one of his brothers. I was born in Leeds (still live here) and my dads brother had a friend at uni who supported us. Subsequently my uncle began going to watch and he became fond of the owls, my dad then began going to a few games and he got into it. I was then born in 1994 and began supporting the Owls and have done ever since.

Bit weird with my dads side of the family as him and once of his brother support the Owls and his other 2 brothers support leeds.

This last season has definitely been the best I've witnessed since going to games since I was 3.

Oh and my future kids if i am to have any will definitely follow me in becoming an owl. :-)

You should n't be so flippant about your future children. I have 4 and seven Grandchildren ! Breeding our way to the top is a serious matter !

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

Guest Waterthorpeowl

My dad and both my grandads were wednesdayites.. My grandads company built the roof of the kop i think 😄

Urm, bettter an Owl then a stinking Pig!? No, seriously though, I was born in Zimbabwe but raised in England, Skegness for all my sins. My step mum is from Sheffield, lived in Winn Gardens. As a young lad the question to my Dad was 'Who shall I support? Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs or Forest (like all my mates)" The (obvious) reply was Wednesday, that way you'll go to the games and see them unlike your friends who none of them apart from the Forest lot will see their team play at a match. Sound advice I'd say.

what are you rambling on about?

A bit too long for you is it?

I thought it was an interesting take on all our Wednesday 'foundations' Owls-SWFC, i think some on here don't understand or get any intellectual offerings, preferring single word posts lol

I had a similar thing really.

My Dad was never into football (he was also a miner at Dinnington pit) and it was an Uncle who took me in '79 and this nipper spent as much time looking around the church and it's inhabitants as he did the actual goings on on the pitch.

Also went to the Stain with a mate and his Dad from school the following season as he asked and his Dad paid so i thought why not?

I realised why not when i was stood on the old crumbling kop, it just felt strange and i can't remember who the opponents were but they scored 3 goals and beat United so i had a great night in the end.

Also hate the colour red, after all, Blue is a boys colour is it not? gary megson

UTO