Will Milan spend significantly?

boring thread. your questions got the answers they deserved.

Whatever. I'm not bothered what you think about the thread to tell you the truth. I'm not the most exciting person and never claimed to be. Although now that I know that there is a thread quality adjudicator, I will be careful in term of what I post.

Guest Paulos_Medication

The good thing is, that hopefully any players we do buy will have a market value and represent an investment. If he does spend big, as in over £750k-1m, I think it will be on a striker.

That's the key here for MM / PA and no doubt DJ. It's not the amount of money (within reason) it's the potential return on that investment. i.e is the opportunity to sign player X value for money ? The cash spent on Madine was an example of this as "gurujuan" pointed out somewhere above.

Generally I guess younger strikers would fit this profile best. Maybe we have already recruited one of these this summer with McGuire. But, thanks to his fall out with clough was well below his market value.

That's the key here for MM / PA and no doubt DJ. It's not the amount of money (within reason) it's the potential return on that investment. i.e is the opportunity to sign player X value for money ? The cash spent on Madine was an example of this as "gurujuan" pointed out somewhere above.

Generally I guess younger strikers would fit this profile best. Maybe we have already recruited one of these this summer with McGuire. But, thanks to his fall out with clough was well below his market value.

Yeah, both Maguire and Madine are perfect examples of how we like to swoop and take a gamble on a player just before the hype sets in. The season we signed Madine he'd scored a few but a lot of clubs wanted Charlie Austin who cost £2m, we seem to try and scratch below the surface a bit more which is good.

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

A couple of simple questions (for fun and to get us into giddy fits) for discussion:

1. Will Milan spend significantly?
  2. If so/if not, why?
  3. How much will he spend?

My answers are:

1. Yes.
  2. I think he will see that the teams coming down from the Premier League are somewhat fvcked both squad wise and financially and, with the exception of Leicester, none of the other top CCC sides are significantly spending and/or recruiting, and with these facts in mind, he will see this season as a real opportunity to achieve promotion.
  3. I think he will spend at least £2M and increase the wage budget by 50%.

1 & 2. Not sure. His past record suggests that he will work on a reasonable budget- he is a business man at the end of the day. But, I get the impression that MM has fallen for our club and our supporters and this IMO could persuade him to dig a little deeper into his pockets.

2. I think somewhere in the region of £2million as well, but possibly more come the end of the season. .

Edited by Lawrie Maddens Hump

1. I think he will spend wisely.

2. I think he likes to get a good deal in that he will only pay what he thinks a player is worth.

3. I can see him spending up to £1m on transfers but an increased wage budget.

To conclude, I think the Club is run very professionally and MM is not going to pay over the odds for anyone. MM is a good businessman and having a good set of accounts is very important, particularly if/when he comes to sell.

Guest kiltonowl

A couple of simple questions (for fun and to get us into giddy fits) for discussion:

2. If so/if not, why?

My answers are:

1. Yes.
  2. I think he will see that the teams coming down from the Premier League are somewhat fvcked both squad wise and financially and, with the exception of Leicester, none of the other top CCC sides are significantly spending and/or recruiting, and with these facts in mind, he will see this season as a real opportunity to achieve promotion.
  3. I think he will spend at least £2M and increase the wage budget by 50%.

Yes but i'm afraid most of it will go on wages - Kirkland, Gardner, Mattock will be on (relatively) big money. I expect wages will almost double, the existing squads wages has already gone up after promotion and we will have a bigger squad on bigger salaries, bonus's, signing on fees etc....

I think we'll spend circa £1m on transfer fees (excluding Maguire) and will hope to recoup some money with a few departures.

DJ said he didn't want to change the dressing room too much, £1m should be enough to bring the loan players back, I think they're right not to break the bank for Antonio, he wasn't fancied at Reading in the Championship so i'm damn sure he wont be in the PL.

I think they'll go for a couple of loan players to pad the squad out, and then look to spend a few quid in January to make sure we dont drift out of the top two ;o)

Edited by kiltonowl

Guest wilyfox

Someone asked Staton the other day if we had a budget of £2.5m - £3m to spend on transfer fees and he replied something like "nowhere near that amount available to spend at S6."

How he would know this is another matter.

admittedly journalists might be privy to some information we will never hear, but i doubt that includes the club's budget. he's probably assuming we don't have the money in a similar way to others that assume we do.

Whatever. I'm not bothered what you think about the thread to tell you the truth. I'm not the most exciting person and never claimed to be. Although now that I know that there is a thread quality adjudicator, I will be careful in term of what I post.

For goodness sake some of us are getting on a bit, and our eyes are not as good as they used to be, will you stop doing this . Please

2. If so/if not, why?

1. No

2. He will see what he can get in for free first and then a couple of desperado signings maybe.

3. No more than 1 million on the remaining players he needs to bring in. Considering that's 5-7 players according to himself then that's not a significant enough spend to reach the top 6.

Edited by Babushka1867

Hi, lots of good responses to this post, when MM first took over I was excited for the change but wary of how he would leave us, the shambles that pompey are in now worries me deeply. However look at the flip side, Leics. seem to in a very stable position. Money drip feeding in when its required. Building a stable platform and hoping to sneak in the promotion chase.

I dont think there will be a lot of cash splashed around, and really there is no need to do that, there are plenty of frees and season loans available who are of decent calibre.

When I saw MM in the dressing room after promotion all I could think of was that MM was thinking keeeerrrrrrrching........get me a footy estate agent!!!

Guest TonyOwl88

Millan can do what he likes.

But yes.... we've already spent more than we did for many years prior Millan. lol