Are we a more attractive club than Leeds

Guest nevergetpastsemedo

A big city with a large catchment area and only one club.

You'd expect them to be bigger, and I think they are, but perhaps not as much as some would believe.

I think with both clubs hitting rock bottom its been a bit of a leveller as we now have similar set ups and crowds, I think we have a better owner now too.

No doubt that Leeds, Weds and Forest are the biggest outside the top flight.

Here's a list of their average attendances since they got relegated from the Prem.

2004–05 Champ 28,814

2005–06 Champ 22,294

2006–07 Champ 20,184

2007–08 Lge 1 26,040

2008–09 Lge 1 22,849

2009–10 Lge 1 23,116

2010–11 Champ 26,739

2011–12 Champ 23,369

Good crowds on the face of it but when you consider the City has a population of around 800,000 (according to Wiki) its not that good.

Sheffield has a population of 555,000 and two clubs that average over 20,000 people per season.

Also looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_districts_by_population

Also both Bradford and the Kirklees area of West Yorkshire are very high on the population list.

Basically what I'm trying to say, is Leeds attendances are pretty sh*t considering.

People forget that while leeds only has one football team, it does have the Rhinos who average 14,200 this season, and can pull 21,000 in for a big game.

The effect of the prices can't be underestimated either - their cheapest ST is only £50 cheaper than than our most expensive.

If you put our prices up by 80% our average attendance would be waaaaay lower than it is now, and way lower than Leeds.

Im not sure how anyone could argue that tbh.

People forget that while leeds only has one football team, it does have the Rhinos who average 14,200 this season, and can pull 21,000 in for a big game.

The effect of the prices can't be underestimated either - their cheapest ST is only £50 cheaper than than our most expensive.

If you put our prices up by 80% our average attendance would be waaaaay lower than it is now, and way lower than Leeds.

Im not sure how anyone could argue that tbh.

To be fair though, this hardly compares to having a rival football club in the same city. In fact, I'm sure there'll be plenty that go to watch both the Rhinos and United regularly.

To be fair though, this hardly compares to having a rival football club in the same city. In fact, I'm sure there'll be plenty that go to watch both the Rhinos and United regularly.

To put this in context, 14,300 is only 4,000 ish lower than Uniteds, and more than Huddersfields average not too shabby.

While there are undoubtably people who go to both, due to the astronomical pricing at Leeds, I dont think the crossover will actually be that sizable.

I actually live in leeds, and I only know 1 person who has a season ticket for both, although i know more who attend both casually.

I'd probably give it to Leeds in the current situation. They are a more established Championship club, we aren't and won't be (just a brief stop en route to the Prem)

They can, IMO, offer higher wages at this moment in time, and money talks in football, so I would say that they could attract a higher calibre of players. Because of this, I'd have no problem signing players that they have released; they have experience playing under big, pressuring crowds, and, with Warnock at the helm, will have a good attitude about them

Guest on the band wagon

In terms of momentum and looking firwRd i think we are a more attractive proposition. But as has been said money is likely to be the deciding factor

Big clubs for me

Man u

Liverpool

Man city

Arsenal

Newcastle

Spurs

Sunderland

Everton

Leeds

Villa

Us

Nit sure about Chelsea despite the last few years and the weekend

Then there are orhers like Forest (2 euroo Cups) derby, leicester, norwich, southampton. Who could pull in c. 25-30k if they are doing ok

But what makes a big club, trophies, history, crowds, money. We are high up in terms of trophies, history,crowds and hopefully more money than we have had for a while

We are from a big city and so should have a good fanbase but our loyalty is pretty special

UTO

theres the main clubs who do well most seasons such as

man utd

arsenal

liverpool

and now chelsea and man city

then theres the others just after that who could challenge these such as spurs, everton, villa, newcastle and sunderland etc. i would class leeds as a club who could be in this bracket (but they are light years away in terms of league placing like us), and i would say that we could/should also be in this bracket but we have never achieved season after season like we have the potential to.

i dont think clubs such as forest, derby, leicester, norwich, ipswich etc have the potential we do based on the fact we are from a bigger city and already have the ground capable of holding 40,000 crowds.........i think this is why we are always classed as a giant in the press. sadly we have never lived up to this for long enough (barring a few seasons from 90-94)

Edited by s.armo

I think over the coming months we will see how attractive a club we are and i hope to be pleasantly suprised. As for leeds building a hitel i believe bates was one of if not the 1st on these shores to do that when he was at chelsea, he called it Chelsea village and if it wadn't for Matthew Harding and Abramovic bailing him out they would of gone bust several times

Unfortunately, Leeds are a bigger club than us. Last year, dispite a bland team, midtable football (which they all knew was going to happen based on they fact they were not actually signing any players) and ridiculous prices (for a new fan last year, the cheapest ST was £522!!!) they still averaged 23,200 - which is pretty good.

If I'm honest I would say that we are about equal for now - this season will be interesting with the warnock factor- the fact the gnome is building another flippingvillage starting with the proverbial hotel means flip all football wise