My thoughts from today.

It was pretty clear what the tactics were to me.

Our midfield sat and we asked the MK Dons to play through us and create something.

We challenged them, and they failed, pretty badly at playing through us. Granted, they looked very, very nice to watch at times passing the ball about with ease...but it was almost always 40+yards from goal. They probably had 60% of the ball in the first half, and O'Donnell didn't have a save to make. They just had a few long shots which ended up in Leppings Lane.

Our fans booing was a bit frustrating tbh. I know we want Wednesday to go out and hammer teams every week, but we have obviously been watching MK play a lot, and Megson thought they weren't good enough to hurt us even with large spells in possession. He was spot on. Semedo and Prutton sat, and just let Potter pass the ball from side to side (just like he used to do so well for us) and that was just about as dangerous as they got.

Madine was fantastic. Not just the goals, but he gave McKenzie (their big CB) the run around all game long. He pulled him all over the place, held the ball brilliantly and worked bloody hard. MOTM by far for me.

O'Donnell had very little to do, but WHAT a save that was just after their goal- i was convinced that was in.

The back 4 all had good games. Buxton didn't defend their goal very well, and neither did Palmer in front of him, but apart from that one blip they were all pretty good.

JJ was clearly nowhere near fit. He was knackered after 10 minutes and was a defensive liability. That said, it wasn't his fault and i don't blame Megson for wanting him back given our woeful alck of pace without him.

Morrison was good again and deserved a goal. Showed decent awareness to square the ball to Madine for our 1st goal when others might have snatched at a shot.

The ref was horrendous for both sides. How the flip he sent their big lad off at the end when he didn't even give a free kick and wasn't looking at the incident was beyond me? Unless it was for dissent?

Was anybody near me behind their dugout? There was a hilarious interchange between John Gorman and a few fans during the first half which ended up with Gorman in the stand having an argument, and Karl Robinson having a pretty lively 'discussion' with an old woman in row 3 or 4 in the South. Unbelievable Jeff!

I didn't hear any booing aimed at our players today, the officials got a bit though.

I thought our fanbase were very good today, patient in the first half and brilliant in the Second.

Obviously we have a few simpletons but in the main Wednesdayites were awesome again.

It probably helps that our players showed they wanted it.

Something to get behind.

It was pretty clear what the tactics were to me.

Our midfield sat and we asked the MK Dons to play through us and create something.

We challenged them, and they failed, pretty badly at playing through us. Granted, they looked very, very nice to watch at times passing the ball about with ease...but it was almost always 40+yards from goal. They probably had 60% of the ball in the first half, and O'Donnell didn't have a save to make. They just had a few long shots which ended up in Leppings Lane.

Our fans booing was a bit frustrating tbh. I know we want Wednesday to go out and hammer teams every week, but we have obviously been watching MK play a lot, and Megson thought they weren't good enough to hurt us even with large spells in possession. He was spot on. Semedo and Prutton sat, and just let Potter pass the ball from side to side (just like he used to do so well for us) and that was just about as dangerous as they got.

Madine was fantastic. Not just the goals, but he gave McKenzie (their big CB) the run around all game long. He pulled him all over the place, held the ball brilliantly and worked bloody hard. MOTM by far for me.

O'Donnell had very little to do, but WHAT a save that was just after their goal- i was convinced that was in.

The back 4 all had good games. Buxton didn't defend their goal very well, and neither did Palmer in front of him, but apart from that one blip they were all pretty good.

JJ was clearly nowhere near fit. He was knackered after 10 minutes and was a defensive liability. That said, it wasn't his fault and i don't blame Megson for wanting him back given our woeful alck of pace without him.

Morrison was good again and deserved a goal. Showed decent awareness to square the ball to Madine for our 1st goal when others might have snatched at a shot.

The ref was horrendous for both sides. How the flip he sent their big lad off at the end when he didn't even give a free kick and wasn't looking at the incident was beyond me? Unless it was for dissent?

Was anybody near me behind their dugout? There was a hilarious interchange between John Gorman and a few fans during the first half which ended up with Gorman in the stand having an argument, and Karl Robinson having a pretty lively 'discussion' with an old woman in row 3 or 4 in the South. Unbelievable Jeff!

Cracking post. Good summary of the game.

My thoughts on the game.....

I thought the first half we didn't look good but we were good. If we had come out of the traps trying to chase every MK Dons player down they would have probably just moved it around us, we would have created the gaps for them ourselves and they maybe would have punished us. This sort of tactic is what i'm sure other clubs will have tried to do against MK and the reason why they were beating teams and beating them well.

What we did however was get our tactics bang on and massive credit must go to Megson for that. We were very solid, kept our shape very well indeed, the back four stayed strong and the midfield two played deep and did the job. We frustrated the hell out of MK Dons. For all their nice tippy tappy football in front of our midfield and defence they had no clue how to break us down in that first half. It resulted in Richard O'Donnell not having a single shot to save and the Dons shooting (woefully) from distance. It was a very well organised and disciplined performance.

As the first half went on we then grew into the game when we had the ball. At first, although out of possession we were very good, we were poor in possession. But that changed as we grew in confidence as the half went on and knew that the MK Don's were nothing really to worry about. We caused them problems for the last 10mins of the first half, with real pressure on their goal, but without finding the break through.

At half time again Megson got it spot on with taking JJ off, who wasn't anywhere near fit enough to start (so blame to Megson for that one, but understandable why he wanted him in the side with his pace), and he bought on Palmer, who had a fantastic game. Palmer played his part in all three goals, he looked composed on the ball, worked hard, bought much more to the team defensively than JJ and more offensively too. Cool finish for his goal and was delighted for him. He definately should start on Tuesday night.

In the second half we were very good defensively again. No tearing about after MK Dons players in possession, just keeping our shape and pressure when necessary. I thought Semedo was class at this again. He really is a quality player.

The biggest thing about the entire second half though was our use with the ball. We were comfortable without it all game, but as i've said first half pretty poor with it, but in the second we were quite devastating with it and used it very well indeed. The MK Don's backline couldn't handle Madine, who gave MacKenzie a torrid time and Morrison worked his knackers off again and never gave them a moments piece. The movement was good from them both and now with better use from the team in possession we created some chances. We were clinical when we had them too. Palmers and Madine's first were cool finishes and the Madine second was a corker. Unbelievably good cross from Palmer straight onto Madine's head and he powered it in.

The only downside was the little five minutes spell when Balanta scored for them, which was a good goal and a little bit of poor defending by Buxton, Palmer and Batth, but still an excellent finish. For that spell we just seemed to lose a little bit of concentration with our shape. We pressured them too much and they started opening some gaps up (of our own doing). Thankfully O'Donnell pulled off that cracking save and we got to grips again and saw the game out.

My player ratings...

O'Donnell - 7 - (Cracking save in the 2nd)

Buxton - 7 -

Batth - 7 -

Jones - 7 -

Bennett - 8 -

JJ - 5 - (Clearly not fit enough)

Semedo - 8 -

Prutton - 7 -

Marshall - 7 -

Madine - 8 - MOM

Morrison - 7 -

Palmer - 8 -

Overall though it was an excellent performance, tactically spot on. An obvious game plan deployed and every player stuck to the task. MK Don's will be up in the play offs all season playing like that as the majority of teams won't be as well organised and disciplined as us and they will open teams up. As for us we're getting stronger, looking a better unit with each passing game, Madine is bang in form and looking very good. They're all working for each other and for the manager and Hillsborough is becoming a very very difficult place to come to.

I'm very very positive that we'll go up this season.

UTO!!

Edited by BRADDAZ

My player ratings...

O'Donnell - 7 - (Cracking save in the 2nd)

Buxton - 7 -

Batth - 7 -

Jones - 7 -

Bennett - 8 -

JJ - 5 - (Clearly not fit enough)

Semedo - 8 -

Prutton - 7 -

Marshall - 7 -

Madine - 8 - MOM

Morrison - 7 -

Palmer - 8 -

UTO!!

Yes I agree with the ratings above (accurate enough to what I witnessed also)

The only thing that I would add to that is;

Pies - 6 -

Guest Triplej2

Let's not pretend the 1st 35 minutes were some part of masterplan, the truth is we never got a grip on the game and the ball was a hot potato. Great second half and a fully deserved win but those car crash 1st halves have got to stop.

Let's not pretend the 1st 35 minutes were some part of masterplan, the truth is we never got a grip on the game and the ball was a hot potato. Great second half and a fully deserved win but those car crash 1st halves have got to stop.

That much of a car crash first half that O'Donnell didn't have a single shot to save and MK Don's never looked like scoring??

Come off it.

For the first 35 minutes we were poo in possession and kept giving the ball away. But defensively were spot on. As proved by the fact MK Don's didn't managed anything on target.

They've battered teams this season (including Norwich away). They didn't with us.

Car Crash first half?

Having a laugh fella.

Our tactical play out of possession was excellent yesterday, even playing with ten men in the first (with JJ not at the races)

Pretty much agree with the OP and Braddaz, but I also felt the injury of Gleeson was something that helped us as well. Almost immediately after he departed, Semedo and Prutton took the opportunity to pressurize the midfield more often, and as a consequence we were getting the ball 10-15 yards further up the field, and thus began to create many more attacks.

Something that was evident yesterday though, was perhaps we've been over-estimating the return of JJ, or in fact the need for pace. It seems the answer has been there all along: Liam Palmer. Now without getting carried away (but I do believe he has the potential to become a key player), Palmer gave us everything that the side required. He works hard, and gets involved in the defensive aspects, as well as attacking play at regular intervals. He's very consistent with his play...very rarely gives the ball away, is calm and composed on the ball, and it seems he's growing in confidence, and as a result runs at defenders, gets the ball into dangerous areas, and looks a genuine threat.

And on the other wing, we have a carbon copy of that in Marshall (but with perhaps more genuine quality). It seems that the lack of pace is something that everybody has perceived to be a real problem...but the quality of the performance yesterday (in the 2nd half especially) just showed that it isn't a necessity to produce a winning side.

I've said it on here, and I've said it to mates in the pub, that every single season we seem to say the same thing re. Johnson. When he's injured we miss him immensely, and yet when he returns, do we see a regular upturn in results? There's no doubt Johnson's a threat when on-song, and there's no doubt, we are better off with him fit, than unfit, but I do think his impact is often over-inflated somewhat. And this isn't a dig at Johnson, generally or on his performance yesterday, but I don't think it's a case where our season cannot get started properly before Johnson returns. Palmer is more than capable of playing the right wing role...and in fact, I think he'd produce a far more consistent run of performances than Johnson. The thought of Johnson been used as an impact sub if needed though (up front, in particular) is something that we can all get excited about though.

I have to say, the problem with a lot of Wednesdayite's is that they still have this idea that because we were once in the Premier League and are a "big club," that sides who, at this level, are better or just-as-well equipped as us, should be steam rolled regardless.

Before the game yesterday, I would have taken a point against an MK Dons side, that not only had started the season brilliantly, they have proved in the last two seasons at this level, that they are a very good side at this level. And yet because we didn't go out and out-play them in the first half hour, the performance was a "car crash" or "made eyes bleed."

Teams at this level deserve respect, because if you don't give them the respect they deserve, they embarrass you. Megson consistent talks about concentrating on our own football, and less about the opposition...but if that approach was adopted yesterday, MK Dons could well have been leaving Hillsborough with something yesterday. Without the ball yesterday for the entire game (apart from the poor defending from a combination of Palmer, Buxton and Baath for the goal), the defensive performance was absolutely brilliant. Madine, Palmer, Semedo, Morrison, Marshall will get the plaudits because they all played very well, but Rob Jones at centre half was once again, a rock. Made a number of important blocks, tackles and headers...and most importantly, organized the back line to snuff out a very talented MK Dons side.

I have to say, the problem with a lot of Wednesdayite's is that they still have this idea that because we were once in the Premier League and are a "big club," that sides who, at this level, are better or just-as-well equipped as us, should be steam rolled regardless.

Before the game yesterday, I would have taken a point against an MK Dons side, that not only had started the season brilliantly, they have proved in the last two seasons at this level, that they are a very good side at this level. And yet because we didn't go out and out-play them in the first half hour, the performance was a "car crash" or "made eyes bleed."

Teams at this level deserve respect, because if you don't give them the respect they deserve, they embarrass you. Megson consistent talks about concentrating on our own football, and less about the opposition...but if that approach was adopted yesterday, MK Dons could well have been leaving Hillsborough with something yesterday. Without the ball yesterday for the entire game (apart from the poor defending from a combination of Palmer, Buxton and Baath for the goal), the defensive performance was absolutely brilliant. Madine, Palmer, Semedo, Morrison, Marshall will get the plaudits because they all played very well, but Rob Jones at centre half was once again, a rock. Made a number of important blocks, tackles and headers...and most importantly, organized the back line to snuff out a very talented MK Dons side.

Spot on.

Yesterday, before the game, i was concerned with Rob Jones and how well he would play against a footballing side. In his short time with us he's on the whole been impressive, but at times, when the ball is on the floor and the movement is good from the opposition he struggles a little. I think this was evident against Charlton on Monday in the first half. Obviously when it's up the air he's totally dominant, again proved at Charlton on Monday but in the second half. But he played very well yesterday.He brought the usual dominance, presence and organisational skills to the team and was very good in the air as usual, but it was also a very good performance in some of the other aspects of the game he sometimes struggles with. He proved a lot to me yesterday against a good team. Had a very good game.

Guest TonyOwl88

I think honestly we just did a job on them for trying to play out of the back. Second half, how many times did we intercept in their half and ultimately we punished them with a goal or two from it.

Guest Triplej2

Easy boys!!

That 1st half was gash and you know it. I'm not knocking anyone, I'm not taking away from a good win, I'm just saying it was poor in terms of ball retention, good football and goal chances. Even megson said this in his interview. We picked up in the last 10 minutes and continued in the same vain in the 2nd half but that 1st half was poor and we need to acknowledge that.

Was a very solid and professional performance. For the first time in ages I'm not bricking it that we will concede when the opposition have the ball for long periods. We have developed a mental toughness to our game which is good to see.

MK Dons were nothing special - a good team, yes - but nothing special. I found their constant time wasting to be annoying and they seemed to have an air of arrogance about them which is not really deserved.

Easy boys!!

That 1st half was gash and you know it. I'm not knocking anyone, I'm not taking away from a good win, I'm just saying it was poor in terms of ball retention, good football and goal chances. Even megson said this in his interview. We picked up in the last 10 minutes and continued in the same vain in the 2nd half but that 1st half was poor and we need to acknowledge that.

I'll accept it was poor in possession up until the last 10/15 minutes. We kept giving them the ball back as soon as we did the good job of getting it off them.

The point i'm making is the way we defended as a unit against a pretty good footballing side. We didn't give them a sniff. Some of the comments around me at the game and also on here, was about our lack of pressure on the MK Don's players in possession, people getting irritated that we weren't charging about trying to get the ball off their players was getting right on my wick. It was quite clearly a ploy to stay nice and solid and pressure when necessary. We were saying to MK Don's, you come and break us down and they had no answer to it. If we had charged about opening holes up for them, they would have exploited it because that's what they do to teams (even good one's like Norwich).

It wasn't a gash first half or a car crash first half. It was a well organised and discliplined defensive performance against the best side in the league at the moment. It wasn't good offensively with the ball, in fact that element was pretty "gash" for the most part of the half. But the defensive side gave us a good foothold in the game to go on from it and win the game.

Which we did and deserved to.

Edited by BRADDAZ