Megson's Approach

Guest Never

I have been wondering whether Megson's input during matches has a positive or negative effect.

He is constantly screaming at the players. Megson in the past said that he does this because he had no leaders on the pitch, but surely that is not the case now. It's just that on numerous occasions against Sflaphorpe I saw our players looking around at Megson and it seemed to create anxiety and negativism rather than have a beneficial effect. Does his approach stop players being creative in their play and thinking for themselves or does it stop them from making mistakes all the time?

I am also wondering if we are shaping up too negatively in certain ares of our play, eg, at opposition corners we have all eleven of our players in our own box. This doesn't seem to just happen when we are defending the closing stages of the game but throughout the ninety minutes.

Just wondered what people thought.

I sit behind the away dugout and I've noticed this, but much of the time he's shouting when there's a corner or a free kick and he's telling players to get into certain positions or mark players etc. He also shouts a lot of encouragement to them also. Turner and West used to shout all match, but much of that was utter nonsense and distracting to players. Megson I feel only shouts when he needs to.

It`s very amusing most of the time listening to GM giving out encouragement to his players. Some things are very funny when you can just about lip read after he has said something to a player and turns away in frustration when his words go unheeded. What he says almost makes me blush!!!

From what i`ve heard he is always giving the younger players like Palmer advice like "watch the ball" as he is fronting up one of the opposition, which is as you would expect and I have never heard him give instructions to play negatively except about getting the ball in the corners like he did after Weavers save on Saturday.

Just remember the two C's concentration and confidence. Play with these and the rest falls into place. The manager shouting or not is a bug argument for and against but every manager gets worked up at some stage. We have to believe they know what they are doing.

Guest Obi-John Kenobi

I'd much rather have a manager who does lead from the dugout, if he sat with his arms crossed all game we'd be complaining

Saw Megson shout some instructions at Madine during the first half. What ever Megson said, it made Madine reply with a smile on his face. First time I have seen Madine looking happy. I reckon a happy Madine = a scoring Madine. Looks good on the team spirit front. I'm sure Megsons shouting at players is more for motivation than genuine instruction.

Thanks for your observations and responses, to what was a genuine observation of Megson during matches and request for others thoughts.

Just a comment on why the original post was voted down. Considering some of the moronic idiotic bulls*itters that frequent these forums with their neanderthal exchanges,am I surprised. No!

As said above, the majority of the times he shouts it is encouragement. Which can only be a good thing.

I`m sure he knows which players to encourage and which players can take a bollocking without upsetting them.

I have noticed he constantly shouts encouragement at Reda during the game, for everything he does which is even half decent. Obviously Reda is a confidence player and reacts well to encouragement.

Only thing i worry about is his subs. Within minutes of bringing them on scunny scored.

Also on another note some old man was ranting on the way back to the car about the pitch being watered at HT and how it caused players to slip ect. Said he used to be a groundsman and the manager told him never to water the pitch during a game and how Megson needs it stopping

Only thing i worry about is his subs. Within minutes of bringing them on scunny scored.

Also on another note some old man was ranting on the way back to the car about the pitch being watered at HT and how it caused players to slip ect. Said he used to be a groundsman and the manager told him never to water the pitch during a game and how Megson needs it stopping

He was on P&G too.

Ive been very impressed with GM. We have had too many managers in the past who have let the players get away with murder (not literally). I like the fact that if we are poo he says we were poo ... not the AI approach of praising how good the opposition were.

His signings have been absolutely superb. And i like the fact that he wants us to be solid first.

Im a big fan of GM and i think that when the new signings settle we will be looking to finish minimum of top 4.