Spireite in Peace

Guest Spiritof1866

Guest Spiritof1866

As a proud Spireite I felt I ought to say a thanks for the kind words of Wednesdayites on Radio Sheffield lately towards our successes on the pitch and off. I've many friends in Sheffield, I spent many happy years there myself and used to watch the Owls on occasion, preferring to watch actual football rather than hoofball down the road.

Since our titanic encounter at Hillsborough I thought, after all the inevitable banter, we gave a decent account of ourselves, took the defeat on the chin and got back to the task in hand of getting out of the Bargain Basement league. I really was surprised to see Wednesday drawn into a dogfight in L1, with proven Champ players like Mellor, Morrison, Teale, JJ et al, I really could not expect anything other than a playoff place at least. My Owls mates bemoan a lack of defensive nous, a raft of players with no bottle, but this didn't seem to be the case when we played you at yours, what's gone wrong??

In any case, thanks again for the kind statements, I certainly hope we see you in what ought to be a cracking L1 next season. I also have the misfortune of knowing a few Blunties, all of whom were laughing themselves silly at Wednesday's drop last season; they ain't laughing quite so hard now.

All the best for the run-in, I still say you'll do enough to stop up this season.

Guest Deleted member

Here's hoping for a Division 1 next year that includes

Wednesday

United

Chesterfield

Rotherham

Doncaster

and Sflaphorpe...

although Donny may well be a long shot!

Guest Spiritof1866

Wednesday

United

Chesterfield

Rotherham

Doncaster

and Sflaphorpe...

And Notts County possibly as well - a proper blood and guts "Nasty Derby" for us, harking back to the days of the miners strikes.

Wednesday

United

Chesterfield

Rotherham

Doncaster

and Sflaphorpe...

That would add a bit of spice to some games, rather those sides turn up than Colchester and Yeovil.

Udders stopping down wouldnt be too bad either,

Guest Big Guns

its all gone wrong since we forced purse out ,then irvine and started booing the players its the fans fault.

Guest Spiritof1866

Cant wait to hammer the blunts next season.

There wont be many other games with 30,000+ attendances in league1 next year. :biggrin:

Well we played Mickey Adams' Port Fail this season away, and if I were a bacon-sniffer I'd be very, VERY worried about next season based on the players they lost and the players they've got now.

Wednesday

United

Chesterfield

Rotherham

Doncaster

and Sflaphorpe...

i'd include Preston in that list too, not too far to travel in the grand scheme of things when you look at some of the trips we have had to make this season.

Hope hudders stay down too,

some nice easy trips next season hopefully :blush::ph34r:

Guest Spiritof1866

Will uncle Dave be coming along to Hillsborough with you?

I was diplomatic enough to leave our current majority shareholder out of the post, but since you're asking, I think he'll probably be fancying his pigeons that afternoon! :biggrin:

can you shed any light on this Kivo?

I was talking to my neighbour (wednesdayite) and my missus(spireite) about this yesterday, but didnt have the 'facts' to hand (or in my head, if truth be told)

From the ever reliable Wikipedia....

They first joined the Football League in the 1899-1900 season, but failed re-election in 1908-09. They were later founder members of Football League Third Division North in 1921-22 and have remained in the Football League since.

Guest Spiritof1866

can you shed any light on this Kivo?

I was talking to my neighbour (wednesdayite) and my missus(spireite) about this yesterday, but didnt have the 'facts' to hand (or in my head, if truth be told)

I think any questions/doubts should probably be put to our resident historian Stuart Basson who regularly writes on the official site and the forum.

It was two months after us in 1867 - your directors claimed 1866 just beat us, well documented.

Chesterfield Town went under and Chesterfield FC was formed in 1920.

It's like Leeds United claiming 1904 rather than 1919 because Leeds City (a different entity altogether) were formed then.

I know it's only wiki but..

Chessy

The first football club in Chesterfield was formed as Chesterfield Town F.C. in the late 1860s. The exact date of its foundation is disputed: many sources list the year as 1866, but the current club's official site states that there is no evidence for its existence prior to October 1867, although other club memorabilia and literature carries 1866 as the year of formation. This club folded in 1881. Three years later a new club, Chesterfield F.C., was formed to take its place.{snip}

In 1915 Chesterfield Town was put into voluntary liquidation and a new club with the same name formed. It lasted only two years before its management and players were suspended by the FA for illegal payments, and the club down. Chesterfield Borough Council formed a new club in April 1919, Chesterfield Municipal F.C., to fill the gap. It was run by the council itself, but the FA forced the club to become independent in December 1920. The club's name was changed to Chesterfield F.C. as a result of the ownership change.