Spireite in Peace

Guest Spiritof1866

Guest Spiritof1866

It was two months after us in 1867 - your directors claimed 1866 just beat us, well documented.

Chesterfield Town went under and Chesterfield FC was formed in 1920.

It's like Leeds United claiming 1904 rather than 1919 because Leeds City (a different entity altogether) were formed then.

I think some of our ex-directors claimed a lot of things, in fairness. I can't say it's something that keeps me awake at night though.

Here's hoping for a Division 1 next year that includes

Wednesday

United

Chesterfield

Rotherham

Doncaster

and Sflaphorpe...

although Donny may well be a long shot!

Hey Grandad I wouldn't bet against Doncaster as they have no form have difficult games coming up and Preston seem resurgent. As you said its a long shot but wouldn't it be nice to see the Arsenal of the north gracing Hillsborough.

Well we played Mickey Adams' Port Fail this season away, and if I were a bacon-sniffer I'd be very, VERY worried about next season based on the players they lost and the players they've got now.

It has been a nightmare season for us. I just want it over and done with and then we concentrate on getting out of the league next season. We will do better for having another years experience of how to handle this league. I was very impressed with your boys at Hillsborough. You gave us a good game when we were still in good form, and in the promotion mix. The laddie Davies looks a good talent.

I expect you to do quite well next season. If the Pigs are relegated it wouldn't surprise me if you even finished above them. A lot of them think this league is going to be a walk in the park, and despite the lack of quality in it, it most defititely isn't. They will struggle. I wouldn't take a single player out of their current squad at present. It's pish.

:biggrin: I look forward to your visit, just don't bring that horrible man that's calling the shots for you these days.

From Chesterfield's own website and official historian.

"The current Chesterfield FC dates from April 1919, and was formed as the Chesterfield Municipal FC. It is the fourth club to carry the town's name and it is possible to trace a line of "ancestry" from one to the other through various common players and administrators.

Although there is a widely-held belief that the first Chesterfield club was formed in 1866, no contemporary documentary evidence has been found to substantiate a claim for formation earlier than October 19th. 1867. "

"The first reference I have seen to an 1866 formation came in the 1905 Book of Football, in an article which was written by George Oram, a club director, and which contained various factual errors. My suspicion is that Oram may have over-egged the pudding in order to make Chesterfield "older" than its near neighbours, Sheffield Wednesday. In the finest UK journalistic traditions of "Copy it and see if anyone notices," this article formed the basis of every subsequent article about the club, right up to programme articles in the 1990s. The article can be read elsewhere on the history pages."

"This first club folded in 1881, largely through lack of interest in anyone taking charge of its small debt, and finding it somewhere to play."

"The second Chesterfield FC appeared in 1884. This club became known as the Chesterfield Town FC sometime around the late 1880s, but it may not officially have been called this until it became a limited company in 1899. This is the Chesterfield Town club that competed in the Football League between 1899 and 1909."

"The Chesterfield Town FC (1899) Ltd was put into voluntary liquidation in 1915, and another Chesterfield Town FC was formed immediately, to play under the peculiar conditions of domestic wartime football. Run as a one-man band by its founder and chairman, a Mr CW Everest, this club became extinct after an FA enquiry banned all its players, management and its Chairman in 1917, in the wake of an illegal payments scandal."

"This left a vaccum that the Chesterfield Borough Council filled by the formation of the Chesterfield Municipal FC on April 24th, 1919. The game's authorities would not contemplate a municipal framework for football, though, and the club was forced to become independent of the council, which it did in December 1920, and changed its name to Chesterfield FC. That Chesterfield FC is the one that we watch today."

"So, we have four Chesterfield Football Clubs:

Chesterfield FC: 1867 to 1881.

Chesterfield FC (later, Chesterfield Town FC): 1884 to 1915.

Chesterfield Town FC: 1915-1917

Chesterfield Municipal FC (later, Chesterfield FC): 1919 to date

Strictly speaking, the 1919 club was wound up in Administration in 2001 and replaced by another company. In keeping with recent form, though (Middlesbrough, Bristol City and many more), this was not regarded as a change of club, as such.

The football club have "1866" on any memorabilia or leisure wear that carries a date of formation. Having done the research I favour the 1919 date, but I expect I'm on my own!

S Basson, 2006."

Edited by KivoOwl

Guest Spiritof1866

From Chesterfield's own website and official historian.

"The current Chesterfield FC dates from April 1919, and was formed as the Chesterfield Municipal FC. It is the fourth club to carry the town's name and it is possible to trace a line of "ancestry" from one to the other through various common players and administrators.

Although there is a widely-held belief that the first Chesterfield club was formed in 1866, no contemporary documentary evidence has been found to substantiate a claim for formation earlier than October 19th. 1867. "

"The first reference I have seen to an 1866 formation came in the 1905 Book of Football, in an article which was written by George Oram, a club director, and which contained various factual errors. My suspicion is that Oram may have over-egged the pudding in order to make Chesterfield "older" than its near neighbours, Sheffield Wednesday. In the finest UK journalistic traditions of "Copy it and see if anyone notices," this article formed the basis of every subsequent article about the club, right up to programme articles in the 1990s. The article can be read elsewhere on the history pages."

"This first club folded in 1881, largely through lack of interest in anyone taking charge of its small debt, and finding it somewhere to play."

"The second Chesterfield FC appeared in 1884. This club became known as the Chesterfield Town FC sometime around the late 1880s, but it may not officially have been called this until it became a limited company in 1899. This is the Chesterfield Town club that competed in the Football League between 1899 and 1909."

"The Chesterfield Town FC (1899) Ltd was put into voluntary liquidation in 1915, and another Chesterfield Town FC was formed immediately, to play under the peculiar conditions of domestic wartime football. Run as a one-man band by its founder and chairman, a Mr CW Everest, this club became extinct after an FA enquiry banned all its players, management and its Chairman in 1917, in the wake of an illegal payments scandal."

"This left a vaccum that the Chesterfield Borough Council filled by the formation of the Chesterfield Municipal FC on April 24th, 1919. The game's authorities would not contemplate a municipal framework for football, though, and the club was forced to become independent of the council, which it did in December 1920, and changed its name to Chesterfield FC. That Chesterfield FC is the one that we watch today."

"So, we have four Chesterfield Football Clubs:

Chesterfield FC: 1867 to 1881.

Chesterfield FC (later, Chesterfield Town FC): 1884 to 1915.

Chesterfield Town FC: 1915-1917

Chesterfield Municipal FC (later, Chesterfield FC): 1919 to date

Strictly speaking, the 1919 club was wound up in Administration in 2001 and replaced by another company. In keeping with recent form, though (Middlesbrough, Bristol City and many more), this was not regarded as a change of club, as such.

The football club have "1866" on any memorabilia or leisure wear that carries a date of formation. Having done the research I favour the 1919 date, but I expect I'm on my own!

S Basson, 2006."

I suppose that answers that, then! Not that it's going to make much difference to anything...

Guest Spiritof1866

It has been a nightmare season for us. I just want it over and done with and then we concentrate on getting out of the league next season. We will do better for having another years experience of how to handle this league. I was very impressed with your boys at Hillsborough. You gave us a good game when we were still in good form, and in the promotion mix. The laddie Davies looks a good talent.

I expect you to do quite well next season. If the Pigs are relegated it wouldn't surprise me if you even finished above them. A lot of them think this league is going to be a walk in the park, and despite the lack of quality in it, it most defititely isn't. They will struggle. I wouldn't take a single player out of their current squad at present. It's pish.

:biggrin: I look forward to your visit, just don't bring that horrible man that's calling the shots for you these days.

I think we'd do very well to keep hold of Craig Davies, his agent's already doing the rounds to get him a big-money contract, and while we might well be able to give him an improved deal, we wouldn't be able to compete with Championship/upper L1 budgets.

Our biggest revelation has been the conversion of your old boy Drew Talbot to full-back - he's playing the role a real treat.

Guest Spiritof1866

Shez has done a great job this year. The game vs toytown was one of the best I've seen this season. Think the momentum will carry on next year and they will push for the play offs. We'll be top though lol

I'd be utterly astounded if you weren't top next season, I'm actually pretty shocked you didn't make a safe playoff spot this campaign.

I think we'd do very well to keep hold of Craig Davies, his agent's already doing the rounds to get him a big-money contract, and while we might well be able to give him an improved deal, we wouldn't be able to compete with Championship/upper L1 budgets.

Our biggest revelation has been the conversion of your old boy Drew Talbot to full-back - he's playing the role a real treat.

I dont think hes all that tbh, and if hes already looking for a big bucks deal, then i think youre better off without him. In Smalley it seems like a decent replacement has been found already

Edited by Rustyfunk

Chesterfield play some good football under Sheridan and look to be another "Donny style" team in the making. It will be interesting to see how we cope with that kind of football next season as I thought even in the JPT your attacking play opened us up a bit too much for comfort.

I hope that Sheridan can have a pop at that here some day (after Megson has been a huge success of course :biggrin: ). I wouldnt mind luring Craig Davies away in the summer too, a pacey player who runs the channells causes havoc in this league.

Guest Spiritof1866

You ought to request a username change though. And it means we move up the table of oldest clubs in the league.

But other than that it dunt mean owt.

I didn't realise it was such a big deal, my Owls mates never mentioned it! Plus our address is now 1866 Sheffield Road, would you at least give me that much? :rolleyes:

DA has found his level at Chesterfield. We were too big and too complex for him to get his arms around and sort out. But he is transforming Chesterfield in the right way, his biggest challenge now is holding onto that squad and his manager over the summer.

Guest Spiritof1866

I dont think hes all that tbh, and if hes already looking for a big bucks deal, then i think youre better off without him. In Smalley it seems like a decent replacement has been found already

He works his backline hard (no innuendo intended), has got a wicked shot on him and holds the ball up well, but I seriously doubt he'd make the Championship grade - a lot of town fans would no doubt disagree.

Smalley's been a great addition, Oldham have really dropped a ******** on that one. Pace, skill and application, I'm really keen to see him up against some decent L1 defences.

Guest Spiritof1866

Chesterfield play some good football under Sheridan and look to be another "Donny style" team in the making. It will be interesting to see how we cope with that kind of football next season as I thought even in the JPT your attacking play opened us up a bit too much for comfort.

I hope that Sheridan can have a pop at that here some day (after Megson has been a huge success of course :biggrin: ). I wouldnt mind luring Craig Davies away in the summer too, a pacey player who runs the channells causes havoc in this league.

A lot of our fans weren't convinced by Shez last season, but speaking personally I knew how much crap Richardson had left us with and couldn't really judge him till he'd built his own squad.

If he doesn't end up managing Sheffield Wednesday Football Club at some point I'll wear a Mansfield Town shirt and moon the Pope.

Guest Bald Owl

As a proud Spireite I felt I ought to say a thanks for the kind words of Wednesdayites on Radio Sheffield lately towards our successes on the pitch and off. I've many friends in Sheffield, I spent many happy years there myself and used to watch the Owls on occasion, preferring to watch actual football rather than hoofball down the road.

Since our titanic encounter at Hillsborough I thought, after all the inevitable banter, we gave a decent account of ourselves, took the defeat on the chin and got back to the task in hand of getting out of the Bargain Basement league. I really was surprised to see Wednesday drawn into a dogfight in L1, with proven Champ players like Mellor, Morrison, Teale, JJ et al, I really could not expect anything other than a playoff place at least. My Owls mates bemoan a lack of defensive nous, a raft of players with no bottle, but this didn't seem to be the case when we played you at yours, what's gone wrong??

In any case, thanks again for the kind statements, I certainly hope we see you in what ought to be a cracking L1 next season. I also have the misfortune of knowing a few Blunties, all of whom were laughing themselves silly at Wednesday's drop last season; they ain't laughing quite so hard now.

All the best for the run-in, I still say you'll do enough to stop up this season.

Your welcome! We have been really poo but its took us nearly four months for a decent game which we got on Sat, so onwards and upwards. All the best miold but of course I've got to say this if you come up that's another six points for us. Ha ha ha ha ha.

Guest Spiritof1866

Your welcome! We have been really poo but its took us nearly four months for a decent game which we got on Sat, so onwards and upwards. All the best miold but of course I've got to say this if you come up that's another six points for us. Ha ha ha ha ha.

Surprised to see that Mellor hadn't been playing a lot till Saturday, I'd have thought he would be a nailed on starter every week...