And then the club wonder why

Guest intercity0wl

let's hope so mate...it would be refreshing though if, just for once, they could admit handling it wrong...how about that steward free match...entrances and exits only let us police ourselves...what do you think

Definately think they need to look at the overall impact of poor stewarding and badly applied safety policy on the match day experience.

It's been a common theme for years.

Guest intercity0wl

So instead of something positive coming from this, such as allowing supporters to bring in flags or encouraging a flag day to prove that Wednesday fans arent a bunch or idiots and can act sensibly with flags without smashing each other to bits with sticks or setting them on fire, the club do what they do best and hide the issue under the proverbial carpet.

Well done SWFC once again.

Badly handled and I dont think the club will have learnt anything, they wont think they have done anything wrong, and certainly would never admit it, rules are rules you know, especially at S6

Guest intercity0wl

The flag flies again at Brighton, as it did at southampton - with the police seemingly oblivious to the imminent danger they are facing.......

DSC06017a.jpg

AH but the no smoking sign behind it is probably enough to cover it as far as H&S is concerned in such a cosmopolitan FUN loving city as Brighton.

Did you manage to get it anywhere near the beach ?, as them Piers down there have a history of catching Fire.

Was thinking that Thousands of People paid good mony Yesterday go and watch a supposed sporting spectacular at Aintree at which a Jockey was left fighting for his life, and two Horses broke their necks and lost their lives in the big race, although i have not seen any reports of Deaths from self combusting flags.

Good job Nowt like that is ever planned for S6, Bloody hell Dangerouse things them Horses.

Guest Deleted member

Oh - and yes - well done to Owlstalk moderators for moving this to where no one will read it any more...

AH but the no smoking sign behind it is probably enough to cover it as far as H&S is concerned in such a cosmopolitan FUN loving city as Brighton.

Did you manage to get it anywhere near the beach ?, as them Piers down there have a history of catching Fire.

Was thinking that Thousands of People paid good mony Yesterday go and watch a supposed sporting spectacular at Aintree at which a Jockey was left fighting for his life, and two Horses broke their necks and lost their lives in the big race, although i have not seen any reports of Deaths from self combusting flags.

Good job Nowt like that is ever planned for S6, Bloody hell Dangerouse things them Horses.

We did indeed and just look at the damage it caused.......

DSC05994a.jpg

I took this picture 2 mins later .... RIP the 2 members of Brighton Constabulary...

2-mins-later.jpg

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

BTW, the two stewards in the photo helped us to put the flag up, stood there protecting it from crazed arsonists during the game then 5 minutes before the end they took it down and neatly folded it up for us so we could get away quickly for the 5.12 train.

A whole new experience - we even got the steward in front of us on the running track having a solo bounce to "if you don't....."

Turned he he was from Rotherham!

I was at Hillsborough this evening for the football match between the two Sheffield universities.

I would like to know why several highly dangerous flags, written on with paint, and without fire certificates were allowed in the ground and not removed from display.

Could a club official please clarify this?

Ohhh interesting.

Guest intercity0wl

The flag flies again at Brighton, as it did at southampton - with the police seemingly oblivious to the imminent danger they are facing.......

DSC06017a.jpg

A nice sunny day, Smiling fans, laid back stewards and local plod, only one thing on that picture that makes you think this could have anything to do with a Sheffield wednesday game, and thats the one steward to the left of the Death flag, who has done exactly what Stewards at Hillsborough would do upon seeing the flag back in the one ground it should be, and thats totally lose his head.

http://nds.coi.gov.uk/content/detail.aspx?ReleaseID=419111&NewsAreaID=2&HUserID=895,777,889,856,783,864,710,705,765,674,677,767,684,762,718,674,708,683,706,718,674&ClientID=-1

Note in particular:-

There is no reason whatsoever for anyone to ban these celebrations on the grounds of health and safety. We are restoring common sense to our health and safety system, ensuring it is there to protect people at work not penalise people at leisure."

Hope the club have seen this - there's sure to be loads of flags around for this occasion!

Google search result

Essentially, the group were being hung out to dry by club security personnel. As soul-less Scottish Premier league games occurred against the likes of Hamilton Academical and Dundee United, so the numbers and enthusiasm of those involved declined and moral evaporated. It had reached the stage where it was not worth appealing for support or new members any more. Hard work and hours spent encouraging others to follow suit led to disagreement, petty fan forum disputes and recently false allegations. Amongst the worst internet allegations were one which suggested a smoke bomb released by fans at a Dundee United away game may have indirectly caused the death of an Aberdeen fan after the match rather than the natural causes which led to the fan's passing.

So the death by flag story is still complete and utter balls, retraction needed. Looks like it was put out by H&S people to justify their existence.

Seriously.

We needs a Fans safety office.

The amount of stewards in S6 is ridiculous.

Especially when the mighty yovil come to town.

Sack half the yellow coates

The first reason given....

First of all I fully appreciate the rules and regulations that we as a club have to follow. Though as far as H + S is concerned its gone way too far. I'm sure in a couple of years time we won't be allowed to go out of our front door just because something MIGHT happen to us !!!!

Or all matches will be behind closed doors because its far too dangerous for fans to venture down to s6 ( though I must say its not doing my health much good at the moment) !!!

Okay here we go !

Apparently during a game in Scotland a large flag was being surfed accross the crowd ! Then someone set fire to it and a supporter breathed in some toxic fumes, suffered an asthmatic attack and died !!!!! (can someone confirm if this is true ?) (Apologies MR R if it is)

The club say that since that incident sheffield council contacted them and said that all flags must have a fire certificate. Apparently all away flags are certified !!!!

Strange how other clubs (especially near the mersey) are allowed to have flags, flags on sticks, stand up on their kop etc !!! Seems we're the ones suffering for other peoples mistakes !!!!

It seems our council and club really do care !

They just don't like us enjoying ourselves !

Or think we are capable of looking after ourselves

I'm being told I need to pop down to the local South yorkshire fire and rescue office to get a cert !

On the way I'll drop in at the council offices to ask for permission to go down the shops !!!!

WTID UTO WU11

The revised reasson given........

Mr Rutherford has confirmed by email that the scottish death relates to the following incident although he acknowledges that this response from the Scottish Football Safety Officers Association (not the Scottish FA as originally reported on here) is not the same as he had been told at the event that he attended.

Quote from Johns Rutherfords email -

"A smoke bomb was let off under a surfing flag causing some crowd distress. This was at an 'away' match. Subsequently a spectator took unwell and died. The incident referred to was a game versus Dundee United at Tannadice Stadium Dundee when a smoke canister was let off within the 'Shed' end at the ground. The 'Shed' has a very low roof and the smoke hung about in the stand. During this time an Aberdeen supporter who was asthmatic became distressed and had to be helped from the ground where he subsequently died.

The death was not attributed to the smoke canister although the family have their doubts about this.

As a result of Police activity the group known as the 'Red Ultras' was disbanded after the adverse publicity."

The truth........

Google search result

Essentially, the group were being hung out to dry by club security personnel. As soul-less Scottish Premier league games occurred against the likes of Hamilton Academical and Dundee United, so the numbers and enthusiasm of those involved declined and moral evaporated. It had reached the stage where it was not worth appealing for support or new members any more. Hard work and hours spent encouraging others to follow suit led to disagreement, petty fan forum disputes and recently false allegations. Amongst the worst internet allegations were one which suggested a smoke bomb released by fans at a Dundee United away game may have indirectly caused the death of an Aberdeen fan after the match rather than the natural causes which led to the fan's passing.

The only conclusion that can be drawn from the sections in bold is that the reason such flags are banned is founded on untrue internet allegations about the dangers of smoke canisters (already banned at Hillsborough) in low roofed stands (not applicable at Hillsborough).

I am still interested to know why our rules exist - and why clubs such as Southampton and Brighton take a different view.

Guest Deleted member

I am still interested to know why our rules exist - and why clubs such as Southampton and Brighton take a different view.

S.A.G.

Guest intercity0wl

The first reason given....

The revised reasson given........

The only conclusion that can be drawn from the sections in bold is that the reason such flags are banned is founded on untrue internet allegations about the dangers of smoke canisters (already banned at Hillsborough) in low roofed stands (not applicable at Hillsborough).

Some fine looking flags and Banners (many on sticks) being twirled around at Anfield tonight on a kop ful of Standing supporters. you would have thought that if there was one club where H&S, and it s own supporters would want it to be ridiculously over the top it would be there.

OTT regulations based on, and explained to Owls supporters with untruths, and rigourously upheld is very sad yet typical Wednesday..

S.A.G.

S.A.G. - Safety Advisory Group.

A group that offers advice on safety matters.

SWFC - A club that feels obliged to follow that advice to the letter of the law without questioning, seeking compromise or concession, without applying common sense or having any regard for it's paying customers.

We did indeed and just look at the damage it caused.......

DSC05994a.jpg

Hope the lad in the middle is ok, looks like he may have combust from the knees up due to his body being in close proximity to the flag!